General Chat

Stevo985

The council treating my legal efforts at disposing of a fridge as if I'm tying to get rid of nuclear waste.

first I needed a permit, applied and received, then I need an appointment, but I can only go on Wednesday, between 9.30 and 11, but I'm at work, so it's impossible, and I can't go any other time because it's in a van, it's trade waste apparently.

can see why people throw them in the canal

38 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

The council treating my legal efforts at disposing of a fridge as if I'm tying to get rid of nuclear waste.

first I needed a permit, applied and received, then I need an appointment, but I can only go on Wednesday, between 9.30 and 11, but I'm at work, so it's impossible, and I can't go any other time because it's in a van, it's trade waste apparently.

I just call the council and they book it in to collect from my house at an agreed date. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

They still do round our way!

Here too. They'll take anything. When I was getting the boiler changed I caught one of them in the back yard about to snaffle all kinds of stuff that wasn't for the tatters. But with fridges, leaving them for tatters is basically illegal.

1. Duty of Care – Waste (Household Waste) Duty of Care (England & Wales) Regulations 2005 – all householders getting rid of waste (not just old fridges!) have a duty of care to ensure that it is disposed of properly. In practise this means that you need either a) to take it to a licensed waste facility (eg. local civic amenity site), or B) to ensure that any 3rd party you use to remove the waste is registered as a waste carrier with the Environment Agency and provides you with a appropriately completed Waste Transfer Note for the collection. Breach of your duty of care is a criminal offence and can also lead to civil liability if your waste ends up being disposed of incorrectly (eg. fly-tipped).
2. Removal of ODS – EC regulation 2037/2000 – all refrigeration units containing Ozone Depleting Substances (ie. CFCs and HCFCs) must have those ODS removed in a controlled manner before the appliance is scrapped. Failure to comply with these regulations carries a fine of up to £2,500 and eligibility for prosecution.
3. Recycling and Recovery – The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment regulations (‘WEEE Regs’) – place an obligation on manufacturers, retailers, distributors, local authorities, waste management companies, importers, exporters and business users to reuse, recycle and recover fridge units wherever possible.

Just dump it on a field and if a child gets trapped in it and suffocates, you can blame the council as it was their bureaucracy that caused it.

Me and the lady have come up to Liverpool for New Years. I know it's cutting it fine but any recommendations on good places to drink and eat? Not exactly into the raving night club scene, just decent pub/bars. Happy new year 

We've had no heating or hot water since Xmas eve, Finally got it working again today and thank god - its freezing outside. Think I am getting old!

Cor Blimey that's a bad time to lose heating!! Glad it's back on and here's to a mild January.

On 30/12/2015 at 13:12, Jimzk5 said:

Have you tried putting it outside your front door?

Last time I got rid of a fridge I put it outside and within half an hour (no exaggeration) it was gone.

On 30/12/2015 at 18:13, DK82 said:

We've had no heating or hot water since Xmas eve, Finally got it working again today and thank god - its freezing outside. Think I am getting old!

The first winter I moved into my house my boiler broke and I was too skint to fix it so I went the whole winter without heating or hot water.

It was **** cold that year too. One morning the display in my car said it was -12

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you tried putting it outside your front door?

Last time I got rid of a fridge I put it outside and within half an hour (no exaggeration) it was gone.

They won't touch them round our way due to the compressed gas.

anything else though and they're all over it.

Â