General Chat

Stevo985

17 minutes ago, limpid said:

Like I said, it takes all sorts. What kind of places have rules like that?

Worked next to place installing high tech medical scanners, phones had to be switched off for a spell.

On 12/15/2015 at 09:30, Genie said:

Its my birthday today. Be VERY wary of anyone else claiming to also have a birthday today... :suspect:

Happy Birthday matey!

Had a busy day yesterday so didn't get a chance to give you the token FB message :)

Hope you had a good one, I know I did ;)

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Happy Birthday matey!

Had a busy day yesterday so didn't get a chance to give you the token FB message :)

Was it the big 3-0, yesterday, Stevo?

Many happy returns to you both anyway. :cheers:

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was. Thanks :D

I had a day trip to Dublin with she who shall not be named. Ate and drank so much whilst touring the city that the 35 minute flight back felt like a lifetime I felt so ill :crylaugh:

Having a big bash on Saturday to finish off the celebrations.

Oh and she who shall not be named got me a weekend in Madrid with tickets to see Real vs Espanyol in January as a present. She's a good 'un!

Put a ring on it.

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Happy Birthday matey!

Hi Mate, yes, had a good 'en thanks. Went out the weekend for most of the celebrations. Although did struggle to get up mthis morning after a couple of wines & beers...

• Like 2

I'm in the office watching the news in the corner of my screen with the sound turned off and the guy in the corner doing sign language interpretation.

I'm struggling to tell the difference between stories about Jose Murinho and Cockermouth. 

On 15 December 2015 at 19:53, limpid said:

Like I said, it takes all sorts. What kind of places have rules like that? The sites I've worked at that don't allow phones don't allow USB sticks either (and we had to lock our hard disks in safes at the end of the day).

Plenty of places. The building I work in prohibits mobile phones. It even has alarms fitted at the entry points which detect phone emissions. Buildings that are covered by the OSA (and which are/ contain UK Secret  and above material under the old classification system) Most if not all aircraft hangars and operating areas. Places with sensitive electronic equipment, you'd be surprised how many places there still are that ban them.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Plenty of places. The building I work in prohibits mobile phones. It even has alarms fitted at the entry points which detect phone emissions. Buildings that are covered by the OSA (and which are/ contain UK Secret  and above material under the old classification system) Most if not all aircraft hangars and operating areas. Places with sensitive electronic equipment, you'd be surprised how many places there still are that ban them.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or not. Are you allowed USB devices? When I worked at the kind of buildings you describe, we weren't allowed any transmitters, cameras or storage devices. Like I said we even had to lock up hard disks in a safe at the end of the night. It would have been a criminal offence (under the OSA) to be carrying a USB device.

All buildings in the UK (and some outside it) are covered by the OSA :)

2 hours ago, limpid said:

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or not. Are you allowed USB devices? When I worked at the kind of buildings you describe, we weren't allowed any transmitters, cameras or storage devices. Like I said we even had to lock up hard disks in a safe at the end of the night. It would have been a criminal offence (under the OSA) to be carrying a USB device.

All buildings in the UK (and some outside it) are covered by the OSA :)

I was just commenting that it's not that unusual for somewhere to ban phones being turned on, but to allow USB stick use. To answer your question, no It's not a criminal offence for me to carry a camera or usb device of any type. Neither is it an offence for me to use an authorised usb device or camera. Technically speaking I suppose it's people that are covered by the OSA, so I should have said that buildings can be affected by requirements to meet a certain level of integrity/security resulting from...

It's much more lax at your place than where I worked then :) It's still very much an edge case though.

All buildings and all people in the UK are covered by OSA. It's a statute without scope. When you are dealing with secrets they ask you to sign an extract as a reminder, but the Act applies at all times to everyone.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

It's much more lax at your place than where I worked then :) It's still very much an edge case though.

All buildings and all people in the UK are covered by OSA. It's a statute without scope. When you are dealing with secrets they ask you to sign an extract as a reminder, but the Act applies at all times to everyone.

All buildings are not covered by the OSA. The OSA defines "a prohibited place" and there are specific requirements under the law for such places. Your house is not "subject to the OSA" - though a (perhaps) surprising amount of buildings and places are covered. That's not to say people within any building are not covered by it, necessarily. But the act covers people (everyone) classified material and specific places.

Only in the event that a person(s) or material/materiel covered by the OSA were to be placed inside it, or if it were to be specifically defined to be a prohibited place by the Secretary of State would it become subject to the provisions of the act (either the original 1911 or the 1989 update [links are to non copy and paste pdfs whic open in new windows]).

That's a really strange way to understand the act. I may or may not know things which are national secrets under the act. It makes no difference whether I've signed the OSA or not. I'm subject to it wherever I am and whoever I am.

I think you are talking about a specific subset of the OSA. The OSA applies to everything which might be an official secret. Is there some part of the act which is just about designation of buildings?

Â