Pre - Match Thread Cup Final 5 of 37

TheAuthority

On 22/09/2023 at 16:31, The Fun Factory said:

Unfortunately, it's twice now that we have played the backup side for a cup game under Emery and lost. We have had all summer to add to the squad depth so we can compete on all fronts however yesterday suggested that might be harder than we thought.

Everton will fancy their chances if we play a similar side next week.

Everton will play a second string themselves and will be delighted when they are out of the competition. They have much bigger concerns this season and last thing they will want or need is any extra games. 

12 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Looked through your last 50 (yes 50) posts. 

Not one of them has a shred of positivity for a side that after all's said and done are currently in 7th. 

Maybe stay away from the troll juice for a bit fella. 

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Not to answer for Steero, he'll have his own thoughts, but I've thought similar, often seems like we're only a bad result away from you thinking we're doomed, I'm sure you were talking about the relegation zone a couple of games ago.

You're obviously free to post whatever you like within the forum rules but things are currently as good for the club as they've been for at least 15 years, so if you're still constantly doom and gloom, and you're not getting anything positive out of it, it might be time to take a break from it 

I'm all over the place with this one -- and many neutrals seem to be, too. 

But I don't mind people sharing corrosive gloom or happy-clappy hope on VT,  as long as it's from their own hearts and minds. I get feeling impatient about dark predictions. It's like you're on crowded life raft and someone's screaming, "We're all going to die!!!!!!!" Still, I also appreciate posts from @Tayls as an interesting reference point that sometimes IS like how I feel, too. 4-0? 5-0? No, I think that's not gonna happen, but I still like to see what people honestly think and worry about. It sort of settles me down, personally. Who on earth knows what's really motivating people's posts here? I don't think I even want to know that. It's all part of the many emotional colours and moods of Villa supporters from many different generations and backgrounds and distances from Villa Park. I want it all, personally, the doom, the hubris, the "reasonableness," the fury, the stupidity, the sadness, the frustration, as long as it's honest. UTV!

And after re-reading what I just wrote, I think I need to add a Flake below to this big Mr. Whippy of a post, @Steero113 and @Davkaus and @Tayls, if I may ...  😁

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, romavillan said:

Chin up, I got hit by a car on my work ride yesterday followed by 13 hours of Italian hospital. 

Snap, I got my car crushed by a bus and spent 11 hours in hospital yesterday too. 

We've nothing to fear from Chelsea, if we play to our level we'll win. 

Edited by villa89
  • Shocked 2

18 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

The odds you can get on us for this are ridiculous considering Chelsea haven't been great for over 12 months at this point.

Make me rich unai

I've put us in a double with spurs, Returns around 20/1 for the win double  

Edited by Kingman

This is gonna be a weird match, I will (worthlessly) predict.

Can see it being very choppy and slow and perhaps tedious from Chelsea, but not necessarily ineffective and without threat -- whatever the opposite of freeflowing would be. And I also think we'll seem overly guarded.  I hope we transcend that fast. We need to shake off Warsaw and get back to what's in front of us and the here and now.

Chelsea will feel they can win this. I hope we turn up to smash that hope. We're really overdue now for a sharp show of aggression. I'm gonna be upset if I see our forwards let their fullbacks and centre backs leisurely dribble around and comfortably pick their passes. We need to keep their defense panicked.

• Like 1

I feel we're pretty certain to do our all-too-frequent trick of starting at snail's pace, messing up when playing it out from the back and conceding very early. It's going to be all uphill after that.

On the other hand, I'm also expecting some magic from Zaniolo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

Snap, I got my car crushed by a bus and spent 11 hours in hospital yesterday too. 

Jeebus, been a good week for villatalkers, hope all ok man.

As for Chelsea, we'll have to put in a shift and improve the recent away form before we can think about 3 points. Doable but they've got a very good manager themselves and hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players. Hopefully Poch gets them going in a few weeks instead of today....

Strange one today, depends which versions of Chelsea and Villa turn up.

Given the problems we seem to have when we chop and change our fragile defence, I think he may stick with Digne today and keeps Moreno for the Everton match.

fingers crossed we get something from our visit, should not be too much to hope for.

UTV

Big decisions needed today by Mr Unai! Need a strong team performance on the pitch to make up for the recent poor games. Even Palace at home was dreadful for 88 minutes. I think todays game will tell us a lot about what we are capable of, and how we should expect the rest of the season to play out. Massive game. 

So:

• Chelsea haven't beaten a top half side in over a year
  • Their fans are on the players backs
  • Their main striker is missing sitters every week
  • We haven't won a game under todays ref
  • Played in europe thursday night

I've seen this script before

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Big decisions needed today by Mr Unai! Need a strong team performance on the pitch to make up for the recent poor games. Even Palace at home was dreadful for 88 minutes. I think todays game will tell us a lot about what we are capable of, and how we should expect the rest of the season to play out. Massive game. 

Needs a strong performance to make up for Thursday, but Palace at home was not dreadful for 88 minutes.

We absolutely dominated the first half, had 4 excellent chances to score, plus having one disallowed for straying offside by inches, while not giving Palace a sniff.

Can't afford to be passing up great chances away at Chelsea though.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

Sorry to hear that dude, hope you’re doing ok

• Thanks 1