Pre - Match Thread Cup Final 5 of 37

TheAuthority

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Starting with 4 forward minded players is killing us in the middle and costing us cover for defence.

Buendia had a strong defensive nature to his play as well as offering an offensive threat, we're missing that defensive work.

I think we need to play at least an extra midfielder and drop Bailey and maybe even Zaniolo as well. Start with Kamara and Ramsey instead, alongside McGinn and Doug. 

OK, tear it to pieces. Go ... (whoops, left out Emi Martinez 😬)

line.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I'm not sure I believe the talk about 'Chelsea should be higher up the table based on the underlying stats.' They've only had significantly better XG and shots in two games (vs Luton and Forest) and the Luton game has padded their stats both in terms of goals scored (3 of 5) and big chances created (5 of 12). I watched the game vs Bournemouth which was pretty open in the midfield (Bournemouth pressed with a front four but left a lot of space behind it), but Chelsea looked really hesitant and lacking in ideas when they got near their opponent's goal. There's just no understanding between the players yet and I think we can definitely exploit that. Midfield seems a particular issue so far - Poch doesn't seem to know what the right combination is. And Thiago Silva's finally starting to look a bit suspect (in a back four especially). I'm confident we can get goals, but I also have little confidence in our ability to defend well (unless we play a more pragmatic game, which is unlikely). So, I'll go for 1-1 with both teams missing significant chances.

Think the West Ham game summed them up. Very good in first half and missing endless chances but completely folded as soon as they went behind. West Ham also played last half hour with 10 men.

It's pretty much same scenario as last season, get the first goal and I fancy us to get at least a point but given our record away so far you worry about conceding in first 20 minutes and then we start imploding and usually concede another soon after.

2 hours ago, tinker said:

It doesn't though, the options most posters are proposing are an attacking dream but a defensive nightmare. We need to stop leaking goals and build an attacking force from a solid base.

You reckon ? I can name 8 starters for Sunday. The other 3 are the exceptions.

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have mixed feelings about Sunday. I don’t think we will lose but will be a very difficult game where we hang on a lot at times. Sensing a draw.

Draw seems to be what the professional prognosticators say, too, so you're voicing a view others share. This might be a fun one to watch ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would actually start Duran in this one and stick Watkins on the bench.

Watkins can't seem to hit water if he fell out a boat at the minute.

I agree. I don't see how it helps players when we bench them whilst they're in scoring form and play players who aren't. And if Duran fades, bring Ollie on. No big deal and healthy for both. It's not personal. It's the Premier League.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You reckon ? I can name 8 starters for Sunday. The other 3 are the exceptions.

Well that's 25% you aren't certain of, quite a high percentage.

For me 3 of the back 4 are certain, from there on up I would say Doug and Diaby, add Martinez to that and we have 6. Martinez,  Cash , Konsa, Torres, Diaby and Doug, the rest are  not certain,  for me anyway. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I agree. I don't see how it helps players when bench them whilst they're in scoring form and play players who aren't. And if Duran fades, bring Ollie on. No big deal and healthy for both.

But we’re scoring goals as a team and Ollie is playing a big part in that. I prefer we start Ollie and bring Duran on second half.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Well that's 25% you aren't certain of, quite a high percentage.

For me 3 of the back 4 are certain, from there on up I would say Doug and Diaby, add Martinez to that and we have 6. Martinez,  Cash , Konsa, Torres, Diaby and Doug, the rest are  not certain,  for me anyway. 

for me Watkins will start as will Ramsey if fit. Moreno would too if ready.

In percentage terms I guess even 25% is a lot but when you’re talking about rotation to compete for 4 trophy’s it’s not so much. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

for me Watkins will start as will Ramsey if fit. Moreno would too if ready.

In percentage terms I guess even 25% is a lot but when you’re talking about rotation to compete for 4 trophy’s it’s not so much. 

I don't know why, but I resist Moreno and Ramsey now, particularly Moreno. But WOULD be interesting to see how he got on with Torres. I don't think we've ever seen that, right? I guess I've always thought that Torres would map himself a more familiar pitch in his mind and gain confidence were he to have a firecracker "wingbacky" fullback on his side.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would actually start Duran in this one and stick Watkins on the bench.

Watkins can't seem to hit water if he fell out a boat at the minute.

He's not going to drop Ollie, as bad as he's been. You know how it is with strikers, one goes in off the shin and then they can't stop scoring for a few weeks. 

I'm not saying Duran doesn't deserve a start, but Ollie hasn't become a bad player overnight. Hopefully, that new contract is about to be signed, because as soon as he finds that net, we will instantly remember what a fine player he is.

This is a hard one to predict, one minute we look like a really decent team, the next, we look absolutely awful, and it's really frustrating to witness. 

The game on Thursday was the last thing most Villa fans expected, at least the ease with which our opponents put us to the sword. You really can't make excuses for being that unfocused. Nothing more arrogant than taking your opponents for granted, nothing is given in this game, and Boy! Didn't we find that out to our cost.

A complete lack of real effort, and that is unforgivable in my book. There was no cohesion and defensively, it seemed like there was a complete lack of communication, how else do you explain opponents being given that much space? And it was virtually the whole team aside from Emi, Zani and Duran.

I hope Chelsea don't decide to start firing Sunday, because it's only a matter of time before that array of talent begins to suddenly find their feet and we have been known to be the team who obliges such scenarios. Fingers crossed,, I'm wrong, and we put in a performance that we can at least appreciate. In the current mood, I'd take point. Here's hoping. "Come on me Babbys!

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

---------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash---------Konsa----------Torres----------Digne

-----------------Kamara----------Luiz--------------------

-------------------------------------Mcginn-----------------

--------Diaby---------------------Zaniolo----------------

---------------------------Watkins--------------------------

And for the first time in a while, our squad means there's real pressure on some of those players to perform if they want to stay in the side.

Duran, Ramsey and Moreno will be chomping at the bit, Bailey will feel he should be starting and Kamara will know he needs a performance.

• Like 2