Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

I don’t think Trez had the attributes to make it to a higher level with us - but when we needed him, his goals helped keep us in the league. Especially in that crucial game with Arsenal. Same with Anwar. They were what we needed at the time. Made some valuable contributions whilst we recognised their limitations. 

Nico is adjusting to a new league, and culture, trying to keep himself fit, often out of position and having his name run through the mud by the Italian tabloids. Having read his comments and reflecting on other interviews, he’s got a sensible head - pragmatic and reasonable. Not what you’d except when you see him on the pitch. He plays with passion for sure. It may not always work out, but he’s scored us two crucial goals that keeps us in the fight for 4th place. I’m not prepared to right him off. Nor does it absolve his weaker performances. 

It’s clear that the club hasn’t yet decided what to do with him, but he understands that. Whatever the outcome, I will support him. You wear our famous shirt with pride or passion- you get my support. 

Can you support someone and still think they're shit?

That's where 97% of people will be.

Still, they'll be lots of high-horse climbers crying about him being made a scapegoat when he's been shit again.

11 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I don’t think Trez had the attributes to make it to a higher level with us - but when we needed him, his goals helped keep us in the league.

Take your point but I also wonder how many points his abysmal decision making in the final third cost us. Don't mind AEG - timid player but he had some ability.

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Can you support someone and still think they're shit?

That's where 97% of people will be.

I think that's where 97% of Villa fans have been with plenty of players over the last 20-odd years :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good minutes for Italy. Will help his fitness. 

He seems to have proven himself over his injury at least lately.  I wonder if he'll ever get the ability back that is so clearly there. Those comments from him suggest he accepts he's in a learning curve for Emery ball and maybe there is yet a slim chance he'll click with us before the end of the season.  I certainly don't expect it to, but there's a little bit of hope there.

Before that I'd written him off totally.

It’s not personal, wish him all the best, barring something insane I don’t care one bit what he says in an interview, I just want performances on the pitch. Maybe I expected too much, aside from a handful of moments he hasn’t had  positive impact on matches near the extent I hoped for. It’s hard to shake the thought his spot, and all it’s opportunities, could have gone to someone else who would have seized that chance and made substantial contributions in a season where we’re on the verge of something special.

On 27/03/2024 at 04:24, The_Steve said:

I don’t think Trez had the attributes to make it to a higher level with us - but when we needed him, his goals helped keep us in the league. Especially in that crucial game with Arsenal. Same with Anwar. They were what we needed at the time. Made some valuable contributions whilst we recognised their limitations. 

Nico is adjusting to a new league, and culture, trying to keep himself fit, often out of position and having his name run through the mud by the Italian tabloids. Having read his comments and reflecting on other interviews, he’s got a sensible head - pragmatic and reasonable. Not what you’d except when you see him on the pitch. He plays with passion for sure. It may not always work out, but he’s scored us two crucial goals that keeps us in the fight for 4th place. I’m not prepared to right him off. Nor does it absolve his weaker performances. 

It’s clear that the club hasn’t yet decided what to do with him, but he understands that. Whatever the outcome, I will support him. You wear our famous shirt with pride or passion- you get my support. 

Yeah from what he actually said he's got a good grip of his situation at the moment. He has also made key contributions to our season already, played out of position he held up our left side at the start of the season and did ok without being amazing. He's also scored a few important goals too. 

Compare with Bailey's first season, who was pretty much always played in his best position. Lots of people thought he would never make it with us. It's clearly not a walk in the park playing Emery's football, you have to understand and absorb a lot of details on where to be off the ball and patterns of play when you have it. 

He's got the talent, if Emery thinks he can flourish like Bailey has then we should keep being patient with him.

• Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 14:53, Tom13 said:

Take your point but I also wonder how many points his abysmal decision making in the final third cost us. Don't mind AEG - timid player but he had some ability.

Totally agree - Trez dreadful footballer.

AEG defo had a bit of something about him, just so very inconsistent 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2024 at 15:10, BOF said:

I think that's where 97% of Villa fans have been with plenty of players over the last 20-odd years :lol:

Many Villa fans thought that Sticks was awful, but through sheer hard work and dedication, he eventually won the support of most fans.

Did ok in the end - total opposite to Callaghan 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Many Villa fans thought that Sticks was awful, but through sheer hard work and dedication, he eventually won the support of most fans.

Did ok in the end - total opposite to Callaghan 

I loved watching that ungainly lanky bastard 😁

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Villa might not thank me, but get the contract out, put it on the table, let him sign it, let him put whatever numbers he wants on it 

errr no.

a cameo does not a season make.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Villa might not thank me, but get the contract out, put it on the table, let him sign it, let him put whatever numbers he wants on it 

Or get buendia fit, thank him for his contribution, let him move on and no doubt a fairly decent European team picks him up and both of us are happy 

The money side of things will make it hard but he'll land on his feet after us, hopefully someone like inter go for him, we ticked over and moved on he got a good year developing out of it, both of us happy 

But he doesn't stay here, we dont need him 

Can't comprehend that at all. 

Not his excellent performance, but the fact that he didn't get booked or get into some kind of confrontation at any point.

• Haha 2

Probably a lesson here that we should trust unia. Lenglet didn't play for half a season and turned a lot of opinions. Now we are seeing the Zaniolo arc. I still don't know what position he's suited to but really enjoying his work rate and attacking intent. 

Â