Pau Torres

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Will be interesting to see how he copes with Haaland.

It will be interesting, however measuring a defender against the very best striker in the world is a bit of an unfair test. 

I wrote off Moreno far too quickly - thought he was miles off Prem standard after his first few showings - but he obviously finished the season fantastically.

Will give Pau a few more months before judging him one way or another.

He’s played a couple of really nice passes - but also played a few shockers (but probably judging him harshly as he’s a “ball playing” CB). He’s obviously looked really slow on the half-turn at times - but it’s a new league, at a completely elevated tempo. Hopefully that will come.

Have to be honest, I do miss having Tyrone in that LCB slot. Big shoes to fill.

• Like 2

Hes clearly not quick but given Unais history with the player and villas extensive scouting network i cant believe we are only just working this out and the first people to ever worry.

Hes played enough high level games for people to have tried to exploit this as a weakness, that tells me it isnt and he will easily cope. 

Looked a bit choppy yesterday with heavy touches and bad passes. This was supposed to be his strength, no?

Obviously has some class about him but needs to maybe not over-think things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It will be interesting, however measuring a defender against the very best striker in the world is a bit of an unfair test. 

Yet mings handled him with aplomb (ofc then he just targeted Konsa and scored anyway but still). 

The biggest thing I've noticed about him is that he's very ponderous on the ball. It's all well and good being able to carry the ball 50 yards and pick a pass. But against good teams we need to play with mroe tempo to break the press and shift the defence to one side then the other to create more space for our wingers and midfielders. 

Hopefully this is more a consequence of him not wanting to make a mistake but imo we look much quicker playing out the back with Carlos in the team because he bypasses the other CB to get it into the full back or wingers feet with a driven pass. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He won't be marking him. Konsa/Carlos will be

Looking forward to Carlos beating the s**t out of Haaland. 

Carlos is the one player in the league that makes Haalands physicality look like that of Franky Thinsticks. 

Edited by Steero113

21 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Carlos is the one player in the league that makes Haalands physicality look like that of Franky Thinsticks. 

To be honest, I felt much better sticking Mings on Haaland than I do any of the currently available CB’s

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The biggest thing I've noticed about him is that he's very ponderous on the ball. It's all well and good being able to carry the ball 50 yards and pick a pass. But against good teams we need to play with mroe tempo to break the press and shift the defence to one side then the other to create more space for our wingers and midfielders. 

Hopefully this is more a consequence of him not wanting to make a mistake but imo we look much quicker playing out the back with Carlos in the team because he bypasses the other CB to get it into the full back or wingers feet with a driven pass. 

I can only guess it is either the tactics emery wished to use to wear out the opponents and have more structured build ups or he is still to get used to the players abilities to receive the ball.

However even if he is slow at releasing it, if Carlos plays we then have a long range quick passer and a more methodical passer.

I'm hoping once he has adjusted to the more frantic high pace, he adapts accordingly. Top defenders do that, if they aren't the fastest, their positioning or reading of the game normally gives them that half yard head start.

53 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I don’t think they are in the same weight class.  Haaland has probably got four inches and a stone in weight on Carlos.  

I thought he was very good, don't understand why he's being questioned so much, I think maybe because people were super focused on him as a new player and when that happens the few not so good moments get fixated upon, that can happen with established players never mind new player. I think if Mings had have played the same game, no one would question it, not because of blind favoritism towards Mings but because we would be watching him in a different way, with less of a inquisitive light in our eyes.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I thought he was very good, don't understand why he's being questioned so much, I think maybe because people were super focused on him as a new player and when that happens the few not so good moments get fixated upon, that can happen with established players never mind new player. I think if Mings had have played the same game, no one would question it, not because of blind favoritism towards Mings but because we would be watching him in a different way, with less of a inquisitive light in our eyes.

You new here? ;)

• Like 1

Â