Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/05/23 at 22:59

Just back from the match, a bit nervy at the end but a well deserved win. Referee was as biased/corrupt/inept (take your pick) as they come. Offside, ok yeah we will let you take the free kick in the wrong half of the pitch. Romero I think kicks through the back of Watkins before our second goal no booking, McGinn booked first half for similar. Also, why are the officials allowing play to progress with Son when he is clearly offside when he receives the ball, at what point do they think ok 10-20 seconds later I will flag him now, at no point does he suddenly become ok and onside. What a joke!

Anyway, Very pleased with the win, we should have had a second goal before HT through Buendia. I don’t think Spurs had one shot in the half. We were a little sloppy after half time allowing Spurs a bit of a foothold in the match and a chance for Kane which he should have buried. The second goal looked to have killed the game until VAR gets involved, was it clear and obvious error not to give the penalty? I will have to watch it later as I was too far away to tell, my impression from block A2 was Emi pushed the ball away, also he looked offside initially on the run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

First league double over Spurs since the 95/96 season.

The same season Hansen said "you'll never win anything with kids" after our opening day win at home to United.

18 minutes ago, Powehi said:

Sure. I'm going to enjoy a decent performance and win against a lacklustre Spurs where we're now extremely likely to have Europe in our own hands at home on the last day. You can watch the VAR slo-mo replay again and call the ref a clearing in the woods. UTV

Of course I’m enjoying it, more and more as time passes. The point is it shouldn’t even be a thing, I should’ve been ecstatic after the final whistle.

But anyway well put especially OBE as always, it’s over now and on we go again! UTV x

Edited by fightoffyour

15 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Just back from the match, a bit nervy at the end but a well deserved win. Referee was as biased/corrupt/inept (take your pick) as they come. Offside, ok yeah we will let you take the free kick in the wrong half of the pitch. Romero I think kicks through the back of Watkins before our second goal no booking, McGinn booked first half for similar. Also, why are the officials allowing play to progress with Son when he is clearly offside when he receives the ball, at what point do they think ok 10-20 seconds later I will flag him now, at no point does he suddenly become ok and onside. What a joke!

Anyway, Very pleased with the win, we should have had a second goal before HT through Buendia. I don’t think Spurs had one shot in the half. We were a little sloppy after half time allowing Spurs a bit of a foothold in the match and a chance for Kane which he should have buried. The second goal looked to have killed the game until VAR gets involved, was it clear and obvious error not to give the penalty? I will have to watch it later as I was too far away to tell, my impression from block A2 was Emi pushed the ball away, also he looked offside initially on the run.

Emi didn’t touch the ball but Kane collapsed into him before any contact, it’s his best skill, his brain works like Neo reading the matrix code when an opportunity to buy a penalty arises.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Emi didn’t touch the ball but Kane collapsed into him before any contact, it’s his best skill, his brain works like Neo reading the matrix code when an opportunity to buy a penalty arises.

Ah ok, it was hard to see from where I was sitting. So a bit like the one against Cash a year or two back where he “bought it”.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Ref was a **** bag of monkey arse piabs right from the start.

Until the offside Kane 'won' his penalty we were comfortably the better side and should have got a couple more goals. Now we have some momentum back who knows. Great team performance today.

Piabs!! 😂 😂 😂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

In fairness, 6 subsitution "periods" should be an additional 3 minutes minimum and we had 2 second half goals, which should be 1 minute minimum.

So 4 minutes minimum added on without anything else - 6 minutes is probably about right.

The VAR check was 3 minutes including Kane slotting it in so that was half of the time. Cash came on straight after so presume that was some of the extra on top.

Ultimately though shows what a nonsense last week was as there were 5 or 6 subs in that second half plus Ramsey going down with a head injury for same time that Kane penalty took yet only 3 minutes added. Would love to see the written reason for how Attwell came to that decision.

• Like 2

Get in. Bossed most of the game until the ref decided to give Kane a penalty. The boys are really putting it all out there with 2 games to go, still a chance for Europe which is an amazing achievement. Vintage McGinn performance, Watkins drop in form a tad worrying. Brillant day again. Onwards.

If the ref gave that penalty I wouldn’t want it overturned. I’d be furious but it would be too close to overturn. But the fact he gave a corner and it took 3 minutes of VAR watching it to decide he needs to go the screen is just **** scandalous and the reason everyone hates VAR.

That aside I thought we were brilliant today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'd be easy to get caught up in how that game ended, in how teams get a chance to score in the eighth minute of six added minutes, or how the England Captain can have a penalty because he's famous and eight referee's all agree that he's famous, or to be sidetracked by a preposterous offside rule that means it's only offside if Spurs don't score and where the flag was raised against Bailey on 55 minutes for an offside that probably happened in the first half, or to be distracted by the infernal heat and how two hours in the Lower Ellis has left me looking like a half cooked sausage, but we shouldn't, we'd be missing the big point.

Aston Villa were much, much better than Tottenham Hotspur today, and indeed we were much better than Newcastle a couple of weeks ago, we were better than Chelsea at their ground before that - in fact, we're a very, very good football team - and it might just be starting to matter again.

We're organised, we're talented, we're together, we have a plan and we have players who know their roles in it - we utterly dominated that first half - Spurs didn't have a single shot (other than when they were offside but still waiting to be offside) and we created half a dozen chances and three or four really big ones. It looked like one of those games where Man City play someone midtable - a Palace or a Brentford or some-such. They were a mile off us, as a team, and individually - with the exception of the big cheat up front, how many other Spurs players would get into our line up? One? Maybe?

I don't know how it happened, but we're good - and not just good, at times we're beautiful, we play quick, incisive attacking football and slow controlled build up football and we switch from one to the other seemingly at will. Every player played well today - I thought in the first half McGinn in particular was sensational, and in the second, Mings and Konsa did really well - defensively it sometimes looks like we're giving up huge chances, but they're almost always offside and we're learning to play our high line, very, very well.

This manager of ours is a genius - he's making decent players into a tremendous team and he's going to get better players. I saw Wes Edens with Nicola Ibbetson, Paul Tyrell and Chris Heck pre-game, touring the shop and the Academy building - the support is there, we have ambitious, engaged owners and a manager who acts as the right conduit to turn that into results.

We might make Europe this season, we might not, but this is a season where we've become something we weren't last season and haven't been for a long time, a serious football club that is going to be involved at the right end of the table in seasons to come. 

So yeah, up yours dirty Harry and up yours to the PGMOL, but mostly, up yours to Tottenham - I don't think they realised, but we didn't just beat them 2-1 today, we beat the big six, it's dead, we're better than Spurs, Newcastle are too, it's over. The idea that the same teams compete for the big things at the top in perpetuity is done.

I loved today, I can't believe I've ended up needing an ambulance on standby at the end given how much we've dominated, but I think we have to recognise this one as something important, more important than the daft refereeing, more important even than drawing level with Spurs in the race for Europe - this game was a seismic event, English football is changing and this  might be one of those games we look back on as vital in its reconstruction.

Onwards and upwards, we dared; we dream.

Totally agree with this. We perhaps still have a little way to go to enforce the sort of consistency Emery its demanding but I haven’t seen a Villa side play this well since 1975-81. Can’t wait for the next two matches.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

Â