Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/05/23 at 22:59

The synic in me says VAR is only there to have control & manipulate results depending on the teams & predicament those teams are in. The other side of me says VAR is a complete shambles, I'd rather have a ref make a mistake like it used to be, than 5 people in a VAR room with multiple TV monitors all make the same mistake. It's fecking embarrassing & also the fact they are not allowed to come out after event to explain there decisions, just complete silence. 

• Like 3

Remember this bit of Kane cheating too, Cash hardly touched him and Kane jumped over the ball to looking for the foul.. But it's clever apparently, no it's blatant cheating and Kane should be called out for it.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Remember this bit of Kane cheating too, Cash hardly touched him and Kane jumped over the ball to looking for the foul.. But it's clever apparently, no it's blatant cheating and Kane should be called out for it.

That angle is even worse. Said at the time it was never a pen.

First half played them off the park and should have been out of sight, all they contributed to the first half was hopeful balls over the top to try to catch out our high line and getting caught offside every time. 

Second half they pushed higher up the pitch starting to play football and were possibly the better side for about 15 mins and more likely to score before we got our second goal, but Kane clearly dived to get his penalty the cheat and he's got a track record of doing that. I still feel Martinez didn't need to go out to the ball though as Kane was going nowhere.

It would have been nice to put a few past these like Newcastle did as they've done it to us several times over the years, but at least we've done the double over them and beaten them at home which was well overdue. Never really understood their status as a media darling club other than the fact they play in London, to be honest they're probably the London version of us but I'd still class us as a bigger club traditionally than them (pre the Sky 6 rubbish) so hopefully we'll start to see us eclipse them over the next few seasons which we should do under Emery and the current owners. May not be this season but we're in much hands than they are. 

Brighton have a tough run in, I'd be surprised if they beat any of Arsenal, Newcastle and Man City (two of them away) and could feasibly see three losses there, so if they beat Southampton as expected then we'd only be one point behind them in the final game even if we lose to Liverpool. Spurs have an easier run in but Brentford are no mugs and Leeds will be fighting for their lives to beat them. Think this one goes to the wire. 

Yesterday was one of worst performances I’ve seen from officials. People will say ‘we won anyway so it doesn’t really matter’ 

If it stayed 2-0 we went above Spurs in the table, it does matter and it was a disgusting decision. 

Sorry to go OT but my mind also wonders back to Spurs V Brighton when Brighton had 2 perfectly good goals rules out and 2 stone wall penalties waved away. Without shit refereeing and Harry Kane cheating Spurs would be nowhere near this European fight. 

Was so happy to finally see us beat Spurs on home turf! Spurs and their fans are so crap, they have become so poor in the space of a year, especially Kane and Son. Thought the referee was so bad at points, was really poor and it followed the attwell performance from the other week of course. That for me was the hardest part of the equation, beating spurs at home, i fancy us to take brighton at home on the final day, and we do sometimes get a result at anfield too, so im glad that game is away from home.

its the hope that kills ya, come on villa!

Said before on this forum what I think about the cheat.

Bloke next to me in upper Holte said that Kane off the pitch comes across all noble, honest and saintly, and people think that's what he is like during a game ....hence the reason why the media and officials buy into this scam, that if saint Kane dives then it is a penalty and if outside the area the opposition player gets booked.....its a game saint Kane plays very well.

The reality is that he is a devious, cheating, whinging, moaning ar*ehole and unfit to play for, let alone captain, our national team......sorry as I am starting to begin full rant mode I had better stop there.

Ps.......... did I say that I bl**dy detest Kane....?

• Like 1

Because of the strikes and trains not stopping at aston after 1300, i got there quit early and was standing around near the north stand car park. The Spurs coach came in at about 1325 and the villa one not long after. Usuaully against Spurs i would be quite nervous about playing them at home but yesterday i felt like we would win, there was no tension or anticipation really. Sometimes you get that at games like the semi final first leg play off against albion at villa park 4 years back, but not yday. Spurs are shockingly bad and need to appoint a manager asap!

On another point,

I was nearly 13 years old when me and my old man where at the 1971 league cup final where we lost 2 nil to spuds. We were in the old 3rd division and played them off the park. So dissapointed to lose that final.

52 years later and for the first time since then I am fortunately finally able to see us beat the cheating cockney media darlings.....😁😁😁

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Said before on this forum what I think about the cheat.

Bloke next to me in upper Holte said that Kane off the pitch comes across all noble, honest and saintly, and people think that's what he is like during a game ....hence the reason why the media and officials buy into this scam, that if saint Kane dives then it is a penalty and if outside the area the opposition player gets booked.....its a game saint Kane plays very well.

The reality is that he is a devious, cheating, whinging, moaning ar*ehole and unfit to play for, let alone captain, our national team......sorry as I am starting to begin full rant mode I had better stop there.

Ps.......... did I say that I bl**dy detest Kane....?

Me too. Constantly bending over under high balls when the defender jumps is downright dangerous aswell, he knows what he’s doing, and always gets away with it. 

Horrible little shit. 

Kane's penalty was basically identical to the one he got against Cash. Makes zero attempt to get to the ball and theatrically falls over a player he could easily avoid. He gets rewarded with penalties like this all the time and there seems to be no appetite among the referees to stamp it out. Disgraceful. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Think it boils down to reactions

ollie gets upended with a two foot tackle and his instinct is to keep playing

whereas Kane drops a knee on Martinez and rolls around like his menstrual cramps have just kicked in

Referees respond to this sort of thing. It’s how Kane got mcginn booked in the first half also, whereas our players just got on with it every time Romero or hojberg crashed through the back of them

I thought Emerson lunging in on Ollie was a really good shout for a penalty first half. MOTD showed it and Guy Mowbray basically described it as a clumsy challenge which didn't get the ball which describes 90% of penalty awards.

Yet Ollie looked around for a second or two, didn't really appeal and just got up and played on.

VAR isn't going to check as much if a team isn't appealing hugely for decisions.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Martinez literally comes steaming out, gets none of the ball and spreads his entire body in front of Kane to either run into, trip over, dive, whatever you like.

It's a penalty. I feel I'm going insane seeing everyone complain about this.

You ARE going insane. ;)  1) KAne was offside  2)  Martinez made more of a play for the ball than several tackles on Watkins and Emi B that were no calls.  3) Martinez would have had the ball cleanly if Kane had not flicked it  4) it's still possible the ball touched Emi's right arm.  5) back to Kane flipping the ball, his intent was to flip it over Emi, away from goal, with no chance of an opportunity to play it - that's not what he was trying evidenced by 6) he was falling before any contact 7) he dragged his left foot into his own right calf to make the "trip" look more convincing.   It's a strategic and calculated effort to fool a referee into thinking a foul has occured. when he could have easily hopped over the opponent as a true sportsman would  8 ) it happened in a context where fouls had been called in very one-sided direction for most of the match  9) see the two clips above to see that this way of looking at a foul is not a universal or consistent interpretation across premeirship matches.   10) even you admit that Martinez error was "speading his entire body" :For Kane to run into.....dive or whatever.  (I would add that only one of the two made a legitimate effort to "play" the game in the way it's intended to be playd - Kane's effort was only to touch the ball away from play so he could cheat.)

But I think YOU are missing the point.  Was the officiating fair? no but we won anyway.  We were that much superior to this supposedly "big" club.  That's the big take home point.   I'll take it, I'm happy.   Kane is still a diving cheat and the referee was snookered again. after being "entirely coincidentally" one sided througout the match.

Seriously, you are not insane, you are looking at the facts focusing on a few of them,  from one perspective facts from a very di.  I am focusing on those same facts but placing them in the context of the overal play and the overall match.  The fact that our perspectives on it differ does not mean either of us are insane.  it means we're fans.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Others have posted individual clips but I like this side by side…

It's amazing isn't it that Watkins isn't looking for the penalty & gets wiped out, Kane is looking for the penalty & it's given 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Martinez literally comes steaming out, gets none of the ball and spreads his entire body in front of Kane to either run into, trip over, dive, whatever you like.

It's a penalty. I feel I'm going insane seeing everyone complain about this.

looked offside to me, but the avoidence in establishing it with clear defining lines, was so predictable.

Also Harry is so cute at forcing his feet in to the body of the keeper, he is inevitably going to fool, poor officials.....its a clear tactical tool, that well experienced strikers use....He "bought" that Penalty, to use a metaphor.

The next thing, will be, That Luiz was caught "napping" what a cheek of another metaphor that comment was made by the bent media......He was pushed in the back, a clear foul.....fortunately, they still couldn't score.

They was a bunch of cynical thugs, led by Romero.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, Frodo said:

It's amazing isn't it that Watkins isn't looking for the penalty & gets wiped out, Kane is looking for the penalty & it's given 🤦‍♂️

Its so sad in its judgment.....its worrying.

Â