Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/05/23 at 22:59

Can't believe how angry I still am the morning after a win. 

**** absolute cheating scum, they want **** burning. 

McGinn sending Rodney Trotter for a hot dog is just about stopping me from putting everybody's windows through in the street! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

so this was a pen:

but this wasnt a pen:

Frightening thought is that the 3 penalty decisions against Spurs this season, could cost us a European place. 
There could be a 6 goal swing on our goal difference versus theirs!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LondonLax said:

No ref is not going to give that. The ‘corruption’ cries are just small time. 

And that right there is the problem, no ref should ever give a pen for blatantly manufactured contact, but when they do you can bet its those in sky6 badges that benefit more often than not

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Martinez literally comes steaming out, gets none of the ball and spreads his entire body in front of Kane to either run into, trip over, dive, whatever you like.

It's a penalty. I feel I'm going insane seeing everyone complain about this.

giphy.gif

Never a penalty and arguably Kane should’ve been booked for it.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

It's an interesting one the Kane penalty. If you are slowing it down and closely looking at it, he basically falls knee first on to Martinez body, as if Martinez is in the way. Nothing to do with the ball or trying to avoid the other player.

It's a fine line I suppose, but you can see in slow motion that Kane adjust his position to fall onto Martinez to create the contact. I'd love them to give a foul the other way and book Kane for once. Would set a precedent for this sort of behaviour. 

5 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Frightening thought is that the 3 penalty decisions against Spurs this season, could cost us a European place. 
There could be a 6 goal swing on our goal difference versus theirs!

They're both penalties.

Stopping your opponent winning the ball and getting clipped or obstructed is a foul. They're both fouls.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It's an interesting one the Kane penalty. If you are slowing it down and closely looking at it, he basically falls knee first on to Martinez body, as if Martinez is in the way. Nothing to do with the ball or trying to avoid the other player.

It's a fine line I suppose, but you can see in slow motion that Kane adjust his position to fall onto Martinez to create the contact. I'd love them to give a foul the other way and book Kane for once. Would set a precedent for this sort of behaviour. 

Not only that VAR are only supposed to get involved if it’s clear and obvious but the ref said no penalty and even if I’m being really really lenient you cant say it was clear and obviously a penalty.  VAR shouldn’t have got involved in referring back to the ref under the current rules.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

They're both penalties.

Stopping your opponent winning the ball and getting clipped or obstructed is a foul. They're both fouls.

Ok, you can have yesterdays Kane decision but  in the other column;

Loris taking out Ollie at their place and the challenge on Ollie at VP yesterday were probably clearer decisions.

still a 4 goal swing.

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

so this was a pen:

but this wasnt a pen:

And the one on Watkins from yesterday, same VAR who thought Kane’s was a penalty , but didn’t think Watkins was fouled. No consistency from the same Ref. I think it was Jarred Gillette on VAR, questions need to be asked why he took two very different decisions in the same game?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NeilS said:

And the one on Watkins from yesterday, same VAR who thought Kane’s was a penalty , but didn’t think Watkins was fouled. No consistency from the same Ref. I think it was Jarred Gillette on VAR, questions need to be asked why he took two very different decisions in the same game?

I don't think questions need to be raised, we all know what happened and why, as do fans of most other clubs. There are just no consequences. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blunther said:

I don't think questions need to be raised, we all know what happened and why, as do fans of most other clubs. There are just no consequences. 

Yeah I know, it has been this way since I started following Villa in the early 80’s. It is bloody frustrating that we are referee’d to different standards in the same match, especially when they have the technology to see much more clearly. They just choose not to now, it is blatant. 

For the Tottenham goal:

On whether Kane was offisde there's been nothing conclusive but I did see something on twitter yesterday that showed that it looked like Kane was marginally onside (whether he was or not is obviously still up for debate!)

On the penalty there seems to be two main arguments really:

1) Kane was already diving when he collided into Martinez as he was off his feet and iniatited the contact by falling into Martinez.

2) Martinez got none of the ball and fouled Kane.

For me Martinez has come out and was a bit wreckless in doing so and Kane being Kane has made sure he goes over the keeper. Regardless we know what Kane is like and we know what VAR is like so we shouldn't have put ourselves in that position ideally.

Anyway, went to the game yesterday and overall really enjoyed it. I thought the atmosphere was good (even in the upper Trinity) and there is a real buzz at Villa Park and togetherness that we're on the verge of some progress.

McGinn put in a MOTM performance - simply bossed it.

Also, love the way we're tactically a lot more shrewd nowadays and try to stop the other team breaking a lot quicker. We used to be far too nice to play against.

Huge 3 points and we have a chance (even if still more unlikely than likely) of Europe. UTV!

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cridontour said:

This is the best I can come up with, certainly looks tight.

F447A6EA-2253-478B-9CBB-E3E860107E6B.thumb.jpeg.2ac56c7967352d9947e6275b31adadb7.jpeg

Sky Sports with a questionable angle where we can’t determine if he was actually off!?! Who’d have thunk it! 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Not only that VAR are only supposed to get involved if it’s clear and obvious but the ref said no penalty and even if I’m being really really lenient you cant say it was clear and obviously a penalty.  VAR shouldn’t have got involved in referring back to the ref under the current rules.

Oh no I agree, the process of that yesterday was horrible. The ref doesnt give it, the linesman doesnt flag, Kane doesnt appeal, spurs players dont appeal, Martinez wants Kane booked, villa players dont look bothered or interested by it.

But wait, let's watch it back at a tenth of the speed in a studio and force the ref into giving it.

Edited by turvontour

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I agree completely. Clear and obvious error to not give that as a pen?

Oh, and who was it against that Brighton got screwed multiple times?

Disgraceful how the sky 6 bias continues to disrupt the game. The integrity of VAR is shot to bits and the sooner it either gets in the bin, or is controlled by a competent  independent body the better.

That penalty could still cost us massively, despite the fact we won the game.

• Like 2

Only saw the highlights great win!

It was a pen for me, Martinez gets none of the ball. If we didn’t get that we’d be screaming blue murder.

• Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, jim said:

It was a pen for me, Martinez gets none of the ball. If we didn’t get that we’d be screaming blue murder.

He doesn't get the ball, and if he wiped Kane out, there's no discussion. But he doesn't. Kane clips his own ankles and deliberately runs into him to make contact. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jim said:

I get what you mean but we frequently don’t get those given, and similar fouls and worse, and I think that’s my main concern. There is such inconsistency that it amounts to corruption essentially. 

43 minutes ago, jim said:

Martinez gets non of the ball, because Kane kicks it away then falls over Martinez. It's a manufactured foul mate, an needs looking at by Howard Webb to be banned from the game. 

Watch the clip, he kicks the ball to the right and then kinda carries straight on over the keeper. He would have been better jumping over the keeper, as he may have still got the ball.

Â