• Moreno (Digne 45)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 45)
    • Cash (Young 59)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 82)
    • Durán (Bailey 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/23 at 23:59

So 2-2 with two utterly dumb moments of insanity. Basically gifted them. Albeit the 4th we were basically all out attack.

Wonderful attacking performance just without the finishes. Buendia couldn’t buy one to go in today despite being ridiculously good the entire game.

This one goes down to bad luck for me.

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We've had a lot of luck in recent games and we had none today. Still, even though the result was an absolute killer, there's still a lot of positives to take especially offensively. Defensively we were an absolute shambles which is quite uncharacteristic of this team under Emery. So will put it down to one of those games. 

I know it's largely a useless comparison, but even though the result today was horrific, the game today was still largely more enjoyable than anything we saw under Gerrard this season. 

We just need to get the balance right between defense and attacking, was quite lopsided today and I'm not sure if that was due to Kamara having a bad game or not. 

Balance, as you say, is the key. UE has often stated how he wants us to be more assertive and control the game more at home. Hence why we saw a more attacking approach with a higher line. Unfortunately with this comes a more defensive vulnerability with a mid-table ability squad. (Reminded me a bit of the Liverpool game). Couple this with some very poor individual errors and results like this happen. Unai is still trying to find that balance and also backs himself to improve the standards of the players with his coaching. 
All of this takes time - we knew this from day one and all expected bumps in the road and some bad runs of form. 

We are the quintessential mid-table team who are not terrible, not great but who are often inconsistent. UE’s task now is to see who he can improve to take onto the next step with him along with the multiple players we will sign in the Summer. 
This is the classic transition season so let’s try and stay sane and measured as this won’t be the last bad result but it really is a means to an end and that end is UE transforming this squad within the next 6-12 months. Enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Far too casual at the back. You often get what you deserve. Still, it's like us to actually go to Man Citeh and get something. 

This lot couldnt get pissed in a brewery.

I honestly think I have seen pub teams defend better. We basically just gifted them the game.

Yes we looked good going forward but too much of that attacking threat was wasted. 

If I was the manager I would be furious with the players doing the basics so very badly

Just got back.

Agree with most of what's been said.  Buendia excellent. Mings worked hard. Moreno good and a good cameo from Duran.

Always get done on the break and it doesn't help when you've got Bailey giving it away every time he gets it.

Overall sloppy performance. 

Hopefully Emery will work his magic for Man City and arsenal.

Missed the first twenty minutes ....

Not Villa's best game. Not the worst either.

Emi (1) Not his best game, but not really his fault (too much) either.
Young ... generally effective, hope he is OK, Cash I thought was OK, I think he needs more game time, and that will be difficult with Young on form.
Konsa and Mings were fine ... Leicester's header was more on Digne in my opinion. And speaking of:
Digne ... I thought he was having a decent game, but Moreno did look better.
Ramsey was OK, he seems sort of absent in Unai's game plan. The cameo from Coutinho was a little more reassuring I thought.
Kamara ... He made more mistakes in this game than I have seen in all his other matches combined. Dendoncker ... He is beginning to worry me.
Luiz ... he would have been my  other PotM
Bailey ... Oh dear. Duran ... a really encouraging cameo
Watkins ... A good game, a goal and a deflection for an OG
Beundia a PotM performance

Referee ... fairly typical

• Like 2

Â