• Moreno (Digne 45)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 45)
    • Cash (Young 59)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 82)
    • Durán (Bailey 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/23 at 23:59

It’s true we didn’t deserve to lose and were the better side on the most part but it’s such typical Villa. Dreadful defending and gift a horrible side like Leicester multiple chances because we don’t do the basics. Their first goal is just stupid on our part and the third similarly self destructive.

I think this club has just become accepting of mediocrity. Could have gone 9th today before two tough games but don’t take the chance as usual.

2 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

we really needed to sign another forward/winger to challenge Bailey (traore doesn't count).

Buendia was great in the first half and moreno was great in the 2nd half until another error at the back...

Nice little cameo by Duran.

Why doesn't Traore count?

I thought today we were way off our best, we created some decent opportunities and it looks like Watkins is stepping up now he is the senior striker, however Defense and midfield had an off day today and I thought Leicester's new signings had a good impact, esepcially number 16, Kristiansen, who they got from Copenhagen.

Loads of people had left by this point, in fact most of the ground probably, however i wanted to watch the 10 mins that Duran had. There were a few nice moments there, one of his first touches he backed into a player and held up the ball well and laid it off to one of our players nicely, very Benteke-Esque. Another good piece of play from him was in extra time when he took the ball past some of their players near the away end, he was quite rapid i thought.

A few times he did telegraph his movements quite a lot and did seem to not chase or press as much, but i suppose we were 4-2 down at this point with hardly any time left. Today was a match which would have been great to win as its now Man City away and Arsenal at home before some of our "easier on paper" fixtures. But ultimately I thought Leicester played quite well today, much better than i expected.

The ref and Linos had a poor game

27 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

As mad as it sounds, I'd rather have lost that game today under Emery, than win it under Gerrard. We are building something here and it takes time. Now let's go and beat Man City. 

Yes, that is mad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Is that the worst defensive display I have seen in the last 20 years?

Welcome further entries but it must be up there.

We’ve definitely been worse defensively (as a whole) this season probably. 

But you’ll do well to a find a game with more calamitous errors from one side. 

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, that is mad.

What I mean is that I would rather be Villa under Emery and losing this game knowing we are building something,  than Villa under Gerrard getting random wins but with no clear plan. 

Does that make more sense? Probably didnt explain myself well enough tbf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Well that wasn’t a pleasant watch but we’re going to get these type of results whilst we’re a work in progress. A blip? Let’s hope so.

Some of our defensive work was shambolic but on a positive, some of our forward play was very good again and we could have scored five. Leicester were gifted four opportunities and unfortunately took them.

Emery will be raging. I actually think we missed McGinn today and he could start in place of Ramsey next game.

One to forget. I don’t get angry anymore on days like these but it’s certainly frustrating and a missed opportunity. 

Were you at Villa Park?

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Is that the worst defensive display I have seen in the last 20 years?

Welcome further entries but it must be up there.

I mean it's on par with the Stevenage game for me. On the whole we have clearly been much better so far under Emery so cant complain, but it is this gifting of the goals which is annoying. I dont mind being out played, but to hand Leicester and Stevenage wins in that fashion after being ahead is slightly concerning.

• Like 1

Went today for the first time under Emery. The build up to each game now is so much more epic than it was 25 years ago with the fire, flags, music etc. It's like a stand alone event rather than just another match. No wonder the tourists enjoy so much.

Encouraged by the performance overall despite the result, and you could see why Emery has been successful with his system. The passing around at the back creates an overload up front if/when we get it through. Every time we were in their final third we looked like scoring. Conversely, there is an element of risk to it and today it went wrong.

Moreno added an extra attacking dimension when he came on. It was a bit like watching KKH for the U21s but on the other side with his runs in behind the last man.

Kamara was a bit too casual for their first goal then lost his confidence.

Luiz and Buendia played well as did Watkins.

Ramsey had some nice touches but needs to affect the game more. Didn't see much of him.

Thought Coutinho was poor tbh. He was the most skilful player on the pitch but seemed to make the wrong choices throughout.

Bailey has a great left foot but we need to sharpen him up somehow. Seems to be on his heels too often.

Duran was big and fast - encouraging cameo.

Leicester's best player was Dewsbury-Hall, and I thought the winger Tete added something for them. They were fortunate we gave them some late Xmas presents today but they should be too good to go down anyway.

• Like 3

To quote Dan Bardell that was peak Villa.  Would we grasp the opportunity to move into the top half versus a side that hadn't won in the league since November, and be ahead of both Liverpool and Chelsea? Would we bollocks. The mistakes killed us, for most of the game we looked the better side. Incredibly annoying. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Work in progress boys.  How can anyone expect us to go from dogshit relegation fodder to champions form in the space of a few months?

Mistakes will happen, and Emery will iron them out.

Slowly.

Lets enjoy the ride, and for a change let chances to bitch about something just slide past.

Kamara has been nothing short of incredible, yet he was our biggest culprit today.

Let it slide.  We’re gonna lose the next 2 too.  Let those slide too.  In 12 months we’re going to be a lot lot better, I promise you.

• Thanks 2

Â