• Moreno (Digne 45)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 45)
    • Cash (Young 59)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 82)
    • Durán (Bailey 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/23 at 23:59

Watching the highlights last night I reckon the fact Emery likes the left back to push on and get forward had a hand in the second, third and fourth goals.  Although Mings was partially at fault for the second goal, assuming wrongly that Iheanacho was offside, you'd normally expect the left back to be covering the back post.  Digne was further forward.  Third goal, when Tete is running through, Digne is way up the pitch (because we had the ball and he was expecting us to get it forward no doubt, but then Kamara lost it) and was nowhere near Tete.  Fourth goal there was acres of space on our left that Moreno had to chase back to cover from an advanced position, and then made the mistake that left the striker free on goal.  Maybe Rogers did his homework and targeted that flank, but we really played into their hands by giving the ball away too easily in midfield.   

16 hours ago, ender4 said:

Why the hell do people boo at half-time in a close match where we dominated the first half and are losing to a couple of individual errors. How does that help the team in the second half?

Its wrong.

but if you think, that conceding 4 sloppy goals at home, connects with the crowd......they are expecting an awful lot.

We are not Lemmings, we know when a fiercely contested contest, is in front of us....and we also know, when a lack lustre, brain dead one is too.

Its not the first time we have seen this, under previous managers....so it's no good, folk thinking it is......This performance is still lurking in the shadows.

The crowd, like it or loathe it, reacts to the play.....I don't blame the crowd for this, that's a cheap shot if anyone does.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just another easy target. Not so long ago it was McGinn. As good as Kamara is, that doesn't make him beyond reproach. 

and equally Sheepy, its no free pass for the Manager, either.

We have shown, we can defend away from home.....so why not at home......are they too eager to please, and abandon the disciplines required to win a match....That was naivety at its most best.

Some of these traits, seen yesterday, is in our DNA and it has played a part in costing other managers, their jobs.

I think if no other team was out there, we would have lost that, such was the attitude to competing.

The manager has to find a way to root this manner out of the team, else we will be courting the bottom half, not the Top.

• Like 1

Another Full House of 42,000....yet again.

In all my years of supporting Villa, I have never known the support in terms of full houses, being better.

Even the title winning season crowd was dwarfed by this.

Our issues is not the crowd at fault,  they deserve better than these Home performances are giving them.

but to expect a crowd to be upbeat and at their best, when such lack lustre and benevolent actions are in front of them, is asking a lot imo.

• Like 1

I'm already over this result. We are what we are, which is mid table. It'll take another round of incoming and outgoings and another full preseason to finally (hopefully) make a legitimate, season long headcharge towards Europe and Cup glory. 

I'm just going to try to relax and enjoy the rest of the season, win lose or draw.

Hopefully we see progress and Duran impresses. 

• Like 1

Strange feeling after this result. Frustrated to lose (due to individual errors) but the attacking play was enjoyable to watch and should have scored more

Buendia best performance for a while yesterday, should have had 2 assists really so hoping he can start producing it more often under Emery to start justifying his price tag  

Kamara had day at the office yesterday, young players are always going to have them and unfortunately his cost us 2 goals yesterday  

Result is more frustrating because with Man City and Arsenal up next it’s going to be difficult pick up points there  

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get the playing out from the back, and the rationale behind it......what I don't get is, why does the goal Keeper have to play a straight ball, to a player directly in front of the goal.....surely thats fraught with danger, like passing across your box.

why not play out from the sides of the Goal.

I also think, if 4 opposing players press....the long ball takes out 4 of their players.

Why do we not mix it up?, according to the dynamics of the game as opposed to policy.

If its playing to orders, it denies players an opportunity to think for themselves, and react to the way the game is being played.

That first goal was not the first time......it need to be eradicated, quick.....its ****ing sloppy.

Spot on.

Many, NOT ALL, players, see top clubs playing out from the back amd they think its the right thing to do.

Its got to the point that no one seems to want to be the one who plays the long ball, so they end up playing a dangerous ball to players who arn't good enough for tight passing in front of their own goal.

For playing out from the back to be worth the risk we need 4 players who can pull off close tight passing, in front of goal, do we have that, no we don't.

Edited by Podster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Podster said:

Many, NOT ALL, players, see top clubs playing out from the back amd they think its the right thing to do.

Its got to the point that no one seems to want to be the one who plays the long ball, so they end up playing a dangerous ball to players who arn't good enough for tight passing in front of their own goal.

For playing out from the back to be worth the risk we need 4 players good who can pull off close tight passing, do we have that, no we don't.

It also means we have 4 players deep and not primed to capitalise on a long ball, to create a sortie....so we have 4 players less further up the pitch....I thought the idea was to attack, particularly at home.

Look, I am not going to tell the manager, with his experience the right way to play.....if there is such a thing.

I think we should mix it up, and not be as predictable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

Watching the highlights last night I reckon the fact Emery likes the left back to push on and get forward had a hand in the second, third and fourth goals.  Although Mings was partially at fault for the second goal, assuming wrongly that Iheanacho was offside, you'd normally expect the left back to be covering the back post.  Digne was further forward.  Third goal, when Tete is running through, Digne is way up the pitch (because we had the ball and he was expecting us to get it forward no doubt, but then Kamara lost it) and was nowhere near Tete.  Fourth goal there was acres of space on our left that Moreno had to chase back to cover from an advanced position, and then made the mistake that left the striker free on goal.  Maybe Rogers did his homework and targeted that flank, but we really played into their hands by giving the ball away too easily in midfield.   

• When do any of our full backs, protect the back post, ground or in the air....period?
  • When do we consider such things , when we sign full backs?
  • The centre backs are not great, but they are left vulnerable from such things.

Rodgers certainly won the tactical battle, for sure.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If the team are being told to play like that, its a team fault.....we don't keep the ball individually, well enough, to play like that, yet......They smelt a rat, and had 4 players pressing us.

If it wasn't Kamara, it could have been any other of our players.....our ball control and physicality is not suffient enough to play like that, without mistakes.....I think we will see more of it, until we perfect it.

Sad thing is , it handed them the initiative in the game.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If the team are being told to play like that, its a team fault.....we don't keep the ball individually, well enough, to play like that, yet......They smelt a rat, and had 4 players pressing us.

If it wasn't Kamara, it could have been any other of our players.....our ball control and physicality is not suffient enough to play like that, without mistakes.....I think we will see more of it, until we perfect it.

Sad thing is , it handed them the initiative in the game.

It's common sense though. This is the way we are going to play so that doesn't mean Martinez has to throw a ball to kamara fraught with danger or that kamara has to dribble around players In his own box. He had the chance to get rid of the ball. I agree we need to mix it but Emerys philosophy on the way to play is right and there will be teething problems but of we are to become a top 6 side playing out from the back is the way we will

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ender4 said:

Why the hell do people boo at half-time in a close match where we dominated the first half and are losing to a couple of individual errors. How does that help the team in the second half?

Probably because they are uneducated Alf Garnett word 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I get the playing out from the back, and the rationale behind it......what I don't get is, why does the goal Keeper have to play a straight ball, to a player directly in front of the goal.....surely thats fraught with danger, like passing across your box.

why not play out from the sides of the Goal.

I also think, if 4 opposing players press....the long ball takes out 4 of their players.

Why do we not mix it up?, according to the dynamics of the game as opposed to policy.

If its playing to orders, it denies players an opportunity to think for themselves, and react to the way the game is being played.

That first goal was not the first time......it needs to be eradicated, quick.....its ****ing sloppy.

Konsa told Martinez right after the goal that he should've passed to the side. And he's right. I'm rather annoyed with Emi today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Probably because they are uneducated Alf Garnett word 

Alf Garnett is deeply flawed, but his love for West Spam would have kept even him from booing without good reason.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

19 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I lost a little bit of faith in Emery today (which, perhaps foolishly on  my behalf has been sky high). 

Needs a big response to win it back.

:crylaugh:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9522f360019cf9f388bb

So so good. Thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

For the goals we conceded IMO:

Goal 1: Poor unnecssary ball by Martinez and sloppy play by Kamara who could have cleared it.

Agreed.

Goal 2: Mings most to blame.

The second one was complicated. I think it was more Digne, though Mings is partially at fault. Mings clearly turned and saw that Iheanacho was far offside and thought he was safe leaving him. Problem #1 is that Mings started stepping towards the goal line in response to ball while Iheanacho sneakily retreated; Mings failed to realize that Iheanacho was no longer offside. Problem #2 was that Buendia and Digne were outnumbered 3 to 2 at the back post. Bueni marks the man he should have marked (Castagne, #27); he's the midfielder. Digne at first is on Castagne as if to double up on him, then only casually trots towards Iheanacho and fails to get ball side of him. If it was laziness, he deserves all the blame. if it was because he was hoping to mark the third man (Tete, #37) and get help from Mings on Iheanacho, they were both to blame. I'd be curious if he was shouting to Mings for help.

Goal 3: Mainly on Kamara.

Partially on Kamara for losing the ball, but Mings deserves more of the blame. He read the situation correctly but picked the wrong response and let Tete get away from him.

Goal 4: Moreno mistake.

Agreed. Not poor defending per se, as some have said; he got to the ball first. But a really poor first touch.

So, three goals that were individual mistakes and one that maybe you can attribute to the system (#2, where we allowed the back post overload). I can't get mad at Unai.

Â