• Moreno (Digne 45)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 45)
    • Cash (Young 59)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 82)
    • Durán (Bailey 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/23 at 23:59

Mistakes happen in games, decision making and concentration is the players responsibility. The chances we created yesterday were excellent the attacking build up was probably the best we’ve been since the Man Utd game. Unfortunately we have players who fail to score from 5 yards out. We should have scored 5 yesterday.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

It’s like the fan base expect Emery arriving and our current status to be like a switch:  SH*T-SHOW / TITLE CONTENDERS.

This team needs more time, we need some better players. We are night and day better than the first quarter of the season, that is so obvious. I am excited by how we now play and where we are going under Emery and I haven’t had that confidence since Gregory.

Leicester came to press our possession, we weren’t as competent in the response to that (in the defensive third) and paid the price for good finishing and they also had some luck. 

We had very good, well crafted moments, our finishing was poor and unlucky, but we could have won or drawn if we ‘d finished half of the chances that were solid. Our possession stats, shots, shot on target and passes under Emery are hugely better and almost always the best. 

You can see how a Guendouzi, two Emery style forwards and Carlos and maybe another footballing CB improve this team to the next level. Next season will be much, much better, you can see that. Why boo or harangue (playing from the back)?

Totally, the people booing that performance, the people calling us shit, pathetic etc watching that game. I just don't get it, if that's the reaction to completely dominating the other team for 80 minutes and playing some very nice football creating enough chances to win 4 games of football, admittedly gifting 3 goals too, what were they doing when we were playing utter toilet under Bruce in the Championship? Down Bodymoor with a shotgun?! Throwing molotov's at the players cars at VP?!

You have to have never ever seen the witless, tactics free, 11 strangers Bruceball to be booing or getting irate at that performance. Any sane Villa fan woudl take yesterday's level of play over almost anything we have seen, apart from a lot of Smith's promotion charge and miracle recovery in the prem, for years and years and years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just watching the Sky coverage and all you can hear is the Leicester fans.

Just wanted to confirm that at the stadium you could barely hear them at all until the last ten minutes.

I was in the Doug Ellis Upper (never again!) and I had the same experience.

Didn't hear anything from the Leicester fans all game apart from the last 10 minutes.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

From an attacking perspective enjoyed a lot of our football and thought Buendia and Watkins played well and Moreno from an attacking perspective.

Have confidence Unai will get it right but we'll need to be patient and get through to the summer before we can kick on.

For the goals we conceded IMO:

Goal 1: Poor unnecssary ball by Martinez and sloppy play by Kamara who could have cleared it.

Goal 2: Mings most to blame.

Goal 3: Mainly on Kamara.

Goal 4: Moreno mistake.

Other frustrations:

Leon Bailey needs to do better and toughen up if he's going to make it in this league.

Coutinho although he impressed when he came on, which was positive, is there a rule where he has to hit his shots over the bar?! FFS - hitting the target once in a while would be nice!

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Didn't hear anything from the Leicester fans all game apart from the last 10 minutes.

I’ve only sat in upper DE once, around the halfway line but right up in the top… have to say I didn’t like it either. How come you weren’t keen?

19 hours ago, PaulC said:

We started well. Got the early goal then Kamara let them back into the game, Martinez also to blame,. Mistakes for every goal they scored cost us the match in an otherwise good attacking display. Buendia was terrific and didnt deserve to be on the losing team. 

If the team are being told to play like that, its a team fault.....we don't keep the ball individually, well enough, to play like that, yet......They smelt a rat, and had 4 players pressing us.

If it wasn't Kamara, it could have been any other of our players.....our ball control and physicality is not suffient enough to play like that, without mistakes.....I think we will see more of it, until we perfect it.

Sad thing is , it handed them the initiative in the game.

19 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Fist time I have voted Unai as a poor performance. Baily on far too long and Moreno should be starting ahead of Digne 

If you concede 4 at home, in the manner we did, I don't what else you could vote.....any other manager, would have got that vote.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

More than enough chances win, shouldn’t have gifted them 4 goals. Leicester were clinical we weren’t. The players let Emery down.

Maybe, just maybe....Emery is playing in a way some players can't play.......we was losing the ball so easily, in one on one's and failing to press, when they had the ball.....that has been going on way before UE took over.

I undertstand, what he is trying to do.....maybe some players can't do it.

So,we had a bad day at the office ( it happens ) Im pleased with the way we played ( overall )

Kamara and Buendia both had bad days but in totally different ways.Kamara got caught with the ball and Buendia had bad luck in front of goal.With those 2 bits of bad luck reversed we could have had a very different result.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spoony said:

If you can’t see he is a massive massive problem then you’re just being deliberately blind

He was woeful....but 2 goals is enough to win a game.....if you can't see other issues in this team, other than him.....maybe you are.

This is not a freak game.....we have conceded 4 goals 3 times already and we are only half way through.....The soft underbelly is still alive and kicking.

This team is easily capapble of winning by 4 and losing by 4.....That is not a recipe for Top 10 or Europe.

We all know, much work is to be done.....but this trait, hasn't gone away yet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve only sat in upper DE once, around the halfway line but right up in the top… have to say I didn’t like it either. How come you weren’t keen?

Was pretty much in line with the corner flag towards the Holte and the view of the pitch was fine to be fair.

It was more the lack of space in the concourse areas and the poor refreshment service (mentioned / moaned about it in the fixing Villa Park thread!) that would put me off going back there.

Compared to the Trinity Road Stand and Holte End where I'd normally go it was a lot poorer in comparison so if the prices are similar then I'd choose those first.

Also, just a small thing, but you couldn't see or until the last minutes even hear the away fans which was a bit odd as part of the football match is the banter between the sets of supporters.

What did you not like?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ponky said:

Some nice stuff from Duran 

Moreno was our best attacking player, pity about the fourth goal. 

Buendia fantastic first half 

Defence absolutely pathetic.

Two tough games coming up. Let's hope we're a little less suicidal.

No.

The defensive side of the team, is pathetic......and has been for a long time.

subtle difference.

19 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Playing out from the back will take time, there’s just no excuse for the casualness of it. Experienced players out of position for goals. 

Freak game but you can’t have four shots on target with all that attacking play.

The offside call on Phil makes no sense 

That's the problem.....playing out from the back, is ok.......doing it with a casual attitiude, is the problem.

There is no urgency, in many things we do.

19 hours ago, Zero7 said:

That Tete player ran the show for them, the type of player we are missing 

but they aren't around, particularly in January?.....A loan to boot.

19 hours ago, YLN said:

At 3-2 Bailey Watkins and Coutinho all had chances they could and maybe should have scored. 

At least done much better with. Watkins too many touches, Bailey tried to place it inexplicably, coutinho needed to hit the target at the very least. 

I think, if you believe we need to score more than 2 goals at home to secure wins, you and many others maybe in for a disappointing journey.

We can't keep shooting our way out of trouble, no team can......despite 4 goals scored they missed a couple by inches.

All their goals was avoidable....thats the tree, we should be barking at.

Their first goal was a massive lift, and if YOU LET THEM play, Leicester are capable of doing what they did....its not the first time.....our play was casual and sluggish,  cardinal sin.....Leicesters was bright and effervescent, sharp and quick.

We simply cannot keep shooting our way out of trouble....We are scoring goals.

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Must depend on where you are in the stadium.   My season ticket is in the upper Holte but I won some hospitality tickets for yesterday so was in the posh seats not far from the dugouts and half way line (about 5 feet from Colin Gibson  and Andy Blair).  I could hear the Leicester fans singing most of the game except for the two short periods we were ahead.  Disappointingly the Holte end seemed fairly quiet most of the second half except for a few brief flurries of encouragement when we were getting close to an equaliser.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Was pretty much in line with the corner flag towards the Holte and the view of the pitch was fine to be fair.

It was more the lack of space in the concourse areas and the poor refreshment service (mentioned / moaned about it in the fixing Villa Park thread!) that would put me off going back there.

Compared to the Trinity Road Stand and Holte End where I'd normally go it was a lot poorer in comparison so if the prices are similar then I'd choose those first.

Also, just a small thing, but you couldn't see or until the last minutes even hear the away fans which was a bit odd as part of the football match is the banter between the sets of supporters.

What did you not like?

Similar to you mate, compared to the holte and trinity it’s cramped in the concourse bits and even my seat seemed way more cramped than the other stands

• Like 1

Â