• Moreno (Digne 45)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 45)
    • Cash (Young 59)
    • Dendoncker (Kamara 82)
    • Durán (Bailey 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/23 at 23:59

The high offside line and playing out from the back will take time. It’s still only been a few months. I just question if certain players are technically good enough to handle it, you’d expect better from international level and experienced players we have. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Ahhh, there's the Villa I know and hate. Allergic to success.

Simple as that really, typical Villa. Do well, get our hopes up then shoot themselves in the foot and disappoint… leaving us deflated as usual…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Terrible decision making really. There was another Leicester player to the right also 

9EE67DB4-0A7A-4C03-B8A3-3D8E2D3F1548.jpeg

There’s no excuse for that pass there - no wonder we conceded even if the Leicester player was encroaching. Baffling decision making from such an experienced and top class player. 

• Like 3

From a coaching point of view what's actually the deal with short goal kicks?

I know pretty much every team in the league does it now but we do seem to go to real extremes with it.

Most sides play it short but then when pressured they just play it back to the keeper who'll chip it up to the halfway line so that along will take out 2-3 opposition players and then it's a case of winning an individual duel on halfway line to get a decent attack going.

We seem to have endless players who want to dribble through half the opposition. Kamara is good enough to do it but got found out today, Luiz would probably do it and we had Donk (who certainly isn't good enough to do it) treading on the ball and costing us in FA cup.

I get in long run it will lead us to be a better football team but it's very frustrating when we're 1-0 up early, VP is rocking and we just gift a goal like that and it deflates everyone.

• Like 2

We've had a lot of luck in recent games and we had none today. Still, even though the result was an absolute killer, there's still a lot of positives to take especially offensively. Defensively we were an absolute shambles which is quite uncharacteristic of this team under Emery. So will put it down to one of those games. 

I know it's largely a useless comparison, but even though the result today was horrific, the game today was still largely more enjoyable than anything we saw under Gerrard this season. 

We just need to get the balance right between defense and attacking, was quite lopsided today and I'm not sure if that was due to Kamara having a bad game or not. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I know pretty much every team in the league does it now but we do seem to go to real extremes with it.

Most sides play it short but then when pressured they just play it back to the keeper who'll chip it up to the halfway line so that along will take out 2-3 opposition players and then it's a case of winning an individual duel on halfway line to get a decent attack going.

We seem to have endless players who want to dribble through half the opposition. Kamara is good enough to do it but got found out today, Luiz would probably do it and we had Donk (who certainly isn't good enough to do it) treading on the ball and costing us in FA cup.

I get in long run it will lead us to be a better football team but it's very frustrating when we're 1-0 up early, VP is rocking and we just gift a goal like that and it deflates everyone.

So frustrating, but I get it - just need the likes of Carlos in the team. I blame Emi for that today, Kamara had 3 on him so close. 

Edited by Jareth

Just now, Jareth said:

So frustrating, but I get it - just need the likes of Carlos in the team. 

How's it more reliable to beat the press though? I guess if you lack height in central areas it's more reliable than a keeper chipping it up for midfielders to play the percentages with headers.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I dunno, I don't really see how it is that different to other teams.  It also goes wrong for them from time to time, even teams above us.  I guess the theory is it is worth the risk of conceding X amount of goals for the benefits of passing it through the press.  You just have to rely on the players not **** up.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

To invite pressure and beat the press , we then get up the field quickly and create a goal scoring opportunity.

Well that wasn’t a pleasant watch but we’re going to get these type of results whilst we’re a work in progress. A blip? Let’s hope so.

Some of our defensive work was shambolic but on a positive, some of our forward play was very good again and we could have scored five. Leicester were gifted four opportunities and unfortunately took them.

Emery will be raging. I actually think we missed McGinn today and he could start in place of Ramsey next game.

One to forget. I don’t get angry anymore on days like these but it’s certainly frustrating and a missed opportunity. 

• Like 1

3 individual mistakes 3 goals conceded from them. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Actually I'm not pissed off, those mistakes aside I thought we played well and if those mistakes don't happen we win that game. Still such a frustrating result given the horrible month of fixtures coming up.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

We evidently dont have (some of) the players to play in this style - better to get the style embedded and find out who is and isnt suitable to it rather than drift along for half a season promising summer change like Gerrard did.

This will inevitably lead to days like today, when we've added bad displays from those suited to the style to players who already arent suited.

Frustrating, but for the first time in many a year I think a good portion of fans can see where we're attaining to.

Â