• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s this sort of arrogance that cost us our place in the next round. 

At any level of football, if you play a back 5 who’ve never started together, you’re going to get punished. 9 times out of 10 we win that game with the team we picked today but you run the risk of losing if you take chances with the team selection. 

Emery will have learnt a lot today, which is the only positive I can take. He rolled the dice with his team selection and I’m afraid it backfired. 

Couldn't have put it any better.

We absolutely cruised through the game and fully got what we deserved after a lapse in concentration.

I was hoping Emery gave them a bit of a rocket at half-time, but maybe he saw the game being controlled and thought nothing of it.  A few lessons learnt methinks.

• Like 1

Just got back. I don’t usually get bothered by Villa being shit but that was absolutely pathetic.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a lacklustre, lethargic, disinterested performance from Villa. It wasn’t until about 75th minute I saw a Villa player in the middle of the park run with the ball. 

There was a passage of play in the second half where villa passed it sideways around the Stevenage box for 5 minutes lacking any idea of what to do. At no point did any Villa player consider actually taking on a league 2 defender. I was lost for words. 

Got what we deserved. 

Bailey was atrocious, the rest just shit. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The team he picked was good enough, blaming the manager is lazy

It's not about blaming the manager entirely, but let's get it right, if that performance had been under Smith or Gerrard they would have been slaughtered. The same rules apply. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

Just back from the game. A few observations:

• Home crowd very quiet all game. Bizarrely patient with spineless ref and the ridiculous amount of time VAR took with the two big decisions, which of course was not accurately reflected in the stoppage time of either half (which seems to be a prevailing theme for Villa lately)
  • Away crowd loud and behind their team for the full 90, good for them, wanted it more than we did and got it
  • Bailey's head totally gone. He was woeful all game and didn't deserve to see out the match. I feel for him on one level but he does not deserve to start again until he earns his way back into the set-up, I would drop him immediately, we have no room for passengers now
  • Chambers, Bednarek and Dendoncker were taking too long on the ball around our penalty area from all game. I remarked in the first half that it was a good thing we weren't playing against a high press because we'd be asking for trouble. Bang - didn't heed the warnings and when they stepped up against us in 2nd half, the obvious happened.
  • Sanson must be more furious than anyone else right now. Finally gets his chance, takes it well, and then watches his teammates play like clowns and throw away his good work.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's not about blaming the manager entirely, but let's get it right, if that performance had been under Smith or Gerrard they would have been slaughtered. The same rules apply. 

Similarities to the Wolves game, opposition playing with urgency and will, and Villa think it’s just a training game. No biggy.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just got back. I don’t usually get bothered by Villa being shit but that was absolutely pathetic.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a lacklustre, lethargic, disinterested performance from Villa. It wasn’t until about 75th minute I saw a Villa player in the middle of the park run with the ball. 

There was a passage of play in the second half where villa passed it sideways around the Stevenage box for 5 minutes lacking any idea of what to do. At no point did any Villa player consider actually taking on a league 2 defender. I was lost for words. 

Got what we deserved. 

Bailey was atrocious, the rest just shit. 

What was the atmosphere like after? I heard a few boos ring out 

32 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

ok so no one has written emery off but the result was all down to him.  resulting in one of our worst results in history.   we'll done.

Making things up for effect is not allowed on this forum.

Please take your make believe nonsense elsewhere, cheers.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I only think the second keeper in the cup thing is worth it so that they get a game of football every now and then.  Olsen had his last week and we got away with it.  I really think Emi should have played today, he has shown how big an influence he is in cup games for Argentina.  The rest of it I can't really blame Emery for, I just hope he can get some good players into the squad.

Emery always plays the 2nd choice keeper in the cups. He probably thought it’d be okay with Olsen in goals against a 4th division team.

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’d put money on at least one, if not two of them starting against Leeds in 5 days time.

Cash limped off so I think he'll be politely told to not rush back. Defence on Friday will be Young Konsa Mings Digne I'm fairly sure.

We need to get on the front foot badly so not sure in what circumstances Coutinho at half pace will start ahead of Buendia.

Ramsey will start ahead of Bailey if he's cleared to start. If not wouldn't shock me if we played Watkins wide.

Personally I thought Sanson did enough today to start on Friday. I assume Dendoncker red carries over to premier league now.

What side do you reckon will play then @WallisFrizz

Edited by VillaChris

14 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Stevenage are doing really well this season. They played like a well drilled and confident team. We played like strangers. Why not start with your best 11 and then it doesn’t matter if you make a balls up in the 88th minute because hopefully you will be multiple goals ahead.

I’m not sure how long you’ve followed villa for but we have had multiple examples over the years where we field a weaker team and balls it up. Why take the risk? 

45 years thanks and you can't expect a first team of xi to play every game of the season.  if you can't rely on your squad to beat Stevenage your screwed.  and ybh it was going fine until Dendonker happened. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

What was the atmosphere like after? I heard a few boos ring out 

A loud round of boos at full time. I’m might have missed them but I think all but 2 or 3 players headed straight down the tunnel. Ashley Young was one of those who clapped the Holte. Can’t remember the other 2.

Atmosphere was mainly flat but so was the game. We didn’t deserve to be so poor and win tbh. 

The had the early one chalked off for offside, One off the bar, the pen and the late goal.

Our shooting from the edge of the box was embarrassing. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

**** me. 

There's a lot of overreaction on here most of the time, but I genuinely wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered if we sold every single player from the starting XI today with the exception of Douglas Luiz.

Have been saying it for quite some time now that Villa’s midfield is absolute trash!! Luiz, McGinn, Donk, Sanson, Ramsey (when fit) all need moved on at the earliest opportunity! Only current midfielder I’d keep is Kamara!

Coutinho was also an awful signing and said so to to a Villa mate of mine. Bailey has also been a disastrous signing. Olson is nowhere near an able backup to Martinez.

Emery will be left in no doubt after that rank performance that he has a major rebuilding job on his hands this month, the summer and probably beyond that. 

Being both an Everton & now more so a Villa supporter it’s been a tough watch recently but I’m not even angry at such a performance today. With the current Villa squad I expected it!

Edited by striker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â