Oasis: This is their thread

useless

went to see them live twice, remember the first time I heard Live Forever, I was about 10 years old and thought "yep, I'm having that" loved the band up to Heathen Chemistry then lost interest in them. 

I still listen to them pretty often, if I am picking my guitar up for the first time in a few days then you can almost guarantee that it'll be an Oasis song that I start strumming just to warm up.

I always preferred Ocean Colour Scene though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Loved them during their 90's heyday, but as I grew out of my teens I realised the majority of their lyrics were rhythmic, non-sensical guff. Achieved a lot but very overrated.

Can't understand why they've generated so many tribute acts. There's artists/bands with much greater bodies of work.

I think it's because they inspired a generation of teenagers to pick up the guitar, Wonderwall is probably still one of the most common first songs people learn, it's then not a big leap to playing lots of their other songs and play them as a band.  Nowadays teens seem to be discovering them through Liam so there seems to be decent money to be earnt.  I assume they'll be like the other big pop bands of all time and just keep generating new followers because Noel could write a chorus, which is harder than you'd think.

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Always found the music bafflingly popular (one or two exceptions aside) and both brothers (especially Liam) thoroughly unlikeable. 

Meh basically.

sorry, no idea what you are talking about.  This is The Oasis thread.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Always found the music bafflingly popular (one or two exceptions aside) and both brothers (especially Liam) thoroughly unlikeable. 

Meh basically.

This, although I'd say the brothers are a pair of monobrowed words removed.

• Haha 1

Liam is trying to keep the Oasis brand going with his solo stuff but it’s a poor imitation of the glory years, but at least similar style. His first couple of albums had some decent tracks on them, in amongst the junk. Latest one is just junk.

Noel also started with a great first solo album (I believe most of it was written as Oasis tracks before the split) but again, more recently it’s absolute crap. I think the difference is Noel knows his new music is widely disliked but doesn’t care and because he likes it will do what he wants.

Edited by Genie

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

They massively ran out of ideas after the first 2 albums, got carried away with their own sense of self-importance (and probably tons of cocaine) and became a parody of themselves.

But if you aren't too precious about musical innovation or lyrics that make sense, they had an amazing energy and a huge sound

Perfect description of Oasis.

I was there at Knebworth in 96, sat right at the back. Cracking day, and a really good line up of bands. Only a handful of decent tunes after the second album, maybe should of called it a day then as suggested by a previous poster. I still have the first 2 albums on in the car along with all the great b-sides that went with them. Call it part 90's nostalgia/part just great tunes (I'm 47 BTW). I don't care much for all of the solo stuff the brothers have churned out since its all a bit meh. For me I was 18-21 in those mid to late nineties, the whole Britpop scene was great (many will say its crap). 

2 era defining albums. Then too many drugs and some patchy albums with the occasional good tune.  Its a debate to say if they were great or not. It was a certainly a move to the back to basics sound after earlier more interesting scenes.

Give it a few years and surely a  summer reunion tour will happen for the pension payday. I feel like Liam is less of a prat than Noel nowadays.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I always preferred Ocean Colour Scene though.

I do enjoy that clip of Dion Dublin, playing that instrument he invented, on stage with OCS, if only because it gives me legitimate cause to type out sentences like "Dion Dublin, playing that instrument he invented, on stage with OCS".

Also Hundred Mile High City is a banger and I won't hear otherwise.

• Like 2

Also it was Oasis that got me into The Beatles, Small Faces, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, T-Rex and many more bands, yeah they ripped them all off but they were the reason that I started delving into all of the back catalogues of those bands.

If Liam or Noel mentioned a band in an interview I'd go and seek them out.

• Like 3

first time I heard them was Champagne Supernova on a Shine Album compilation album

quite liked that one , but never really got the hype around them and many a Friday night down the pub was ruined by everyone wanting to have a sing a long to Wonderwall , which has to be the dullest song ever written 

Their best album is Masterplan so maybe familiarity breeds contempt in their case 

I've seen both brothers doing their solo stuff  .. neither lived up to expectation ,

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Also it was Oasis that got me into The Beatles, Small Faces, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, T-Rex and many more bands, yeah they ripped them all off but they were the reason that I started delving into all of the back catalogues of those bands.

If Liam or Noel mentioned a band in an interview I'd go and seek them out.

I think this was one of their saving graces - they owned up to their influences, and gave them full credit. Much in the way the Beatles and Stones did with their own (mostly black American) influences, which sent the more curious fans out to discover some great back catalogues. Which gives me the chance to air my regular criticism of Johnny Marr, for not acknowledging Roger McGuinn and The Byrds. 

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was a certainly a move to the back to basics sound after earlier more interesting scenes.

I agree about the 'back to basics' - but the 'more interesting scenes' of the 80s had been massively less interesting to me. So, I rather liked the early Oasis, and most of the guitar bands that followed in their wake (OCS in particular). But ultimately they were a one-trick pony, and the Gallaghers' solo efforts have been the very definition of the Law of Diminishing Returns. 

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Love them, the sound track to my life.  I hate it (absolutely hate it), but I don't really like anything else - how dull is that?  There are songs I really like, but I can't just listen to anything else, like I can Oasis.

"First two albums" is what you hear a lot of, but then some of my faves are things like

Masterplan

She is Love

Gas Panic!

Alone on the rope

everybody's on the run

a simple game of genius

lord shine a light on me

the river

all you're dreaming of 

Once

Dig out your soul

stop crying your heart out

holy mountain (that's as pop-y as I like them)

Don't go away

d'you know what I mean 

flashbax 

long way road

All of those are post whats the story.

The lyrics have never really mattered to me, I've always just loved the melodies and that I can kinda eek out a decent impression of them! 

But I'm a saddo.  I watch interviews and all sorts of shit.  I've seen Oasis 3/4 times and Noel once.  I'm a non-super-super-fan :D 

D’you Know What I Mean is the only thing they did after What’s the Story that I liked.

They became more obviously a Beatles tribute act later on… lost a bit of their edge. I think Noel always underestimated how important the other band members were to the sound.

Â