Oasis: This is their thread

useless

In 1994 - 96 I live on a street in London called Carlton Hill in St Johns Wood.

I scored the flat by flirting with an agent who managed some properties for a foundation - it didn't have heating but the location was brilliant (not far from Abbey Road Studios.)

The same year Liam Gallagher moved into a townhome at the end of my street (6 houses down) with Patsy Kensit.
There was at least 10 girls outside that house every day, all day, every day of the week. And then there were photographers - and if he'd been in the paper for something the cameramen would multiply.

If he popped out for a packet of ciggies he would be screamed at, pulled at, harassed, followed, annoyed. It was weird. They were weirdos in the neighborhood - a real life freak show.

I don't really have a point to the post, but seeing the reaction by normal, supposedly rational people to "rock stars" was just nuts. Being famous must make you insane - not many have coped with it in a healthy way. So 25% of Liam's idiocy is probably from becoming famous.

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Absolutely nothing?

That’s Monty Python, and obviously a bit of fun, and 3 albums in :D 

I assume most people draw the conclusion from the haircuts they had for a while around the time of Wonderwall.

Theres obviously similarities between Oasis and The Beatles, but you also see similarities between many other bands and the Beatles (or just another random band).

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

In 1994 - 96 I live on a street in London called Carlton Hill in St Johns Wood.

I scored the flat by flirting with an agent who managed some properties for a foundation - it didn't have heating but the location was brilliant (not far from Abbey Road Studios.)

The same year Liam Gallagher moved into a townhome at the end of my street (6 houses down) with Patsy Kensit.
There was at least 10 girls outside that house every day, all day, every day of the week. And then there were photographers - and if he'd been in the paper for something the cameramen would multiply.

If he popped out for a packet of ciggies he would be screamed at, pulled at, harassed, followed, annoyed. It was weird. They were weirdos in the neighborhood - a real life freak show.

I don't really have a point to the post, but seeing the reaction by normal, supposedly rational people to "rock stars" was just nuts. Being famous must make you insane - not many have coped with it in a healthy way. So 25% of Liam's idiocy is probably from becoming famous.

Actually this is one of the weirdest things about Oasis. They love that bit of London. Noel lives in Maida Vale and I think Liam is somewhere up towards Hampstead. I used to spend a fair bit of time around Maida Vale, and you'd see Noel out every so often in the local pubs with Paul Weller. Shirts off in the summer walking along the canal. Like a little retirement village for people with shit haircuts.

It's the least rock and roll place imaginable. Way too much money. Their lives are more like senior ad industry men these days. Still trying to be cool, but basically just a rich cringey old dad.

• Like 1

They would of course be in for a hell of a pay day if they reformed, if Shed 7 can play good sized venues to aging men who couldn't be arsed to see them first time round, Oasis would corner the market.

• Like 1

All around the world was written pre-defo maybe.

There's videos of them in Manchester studios playing it.  I think Noel had a very clear vision with the first 3 albums sound wise.  Number 3 is just so bombastic and "turned up to 11", due to his coke habits and he's even said that he thought he could write any old shit and it would stick, hence why he didn't bother writing a second verse in most of the songs.

They loved the Beatles and the roses, and it's no secret they copied a lot of their sound.  It not really a stick to beat them with.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

This is the kind of stuff Noel started churning out that really did suck balls.

Their first album sounds a lot less Beatles-y, except for maybe Married with Children. I think it's a really really good album... brainless pub rock at its finest. People take music too seriously sometimes.

Yeah most if not all the first album was written before they met up to record the demos with Real People and has a more punky feel than Beatles.  Even some of the Beatlesey ballads from the next two albums were written a couple of years earlier.  I'd say the Beatles chord progressions were way more advanced than what Noel used, he knicked more stuff from other bands.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I assume most people draw the conclusion from the haircuts they had for a while around the time of Wonderwall.

Very much this.

It is not that difficult to identify influences in many bands and it is not unusual for bands who imitate to become bigger than the original.

I heard that a certain Woody Guthrie imitator enjoyed more than a little success.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Very much this.

It is not that difficult to identify influences in many bands and it is not unusual for bands who imitate to become bigger than the original.

I heard that a certain Woody Guthrie imitator enjoyed more than a little success.

Billy Bragg had moderate success ;) 

Rock n Roll is a derivative art form, you don't have to be completely original but you do need to bring something new and fresh to old ideas. Oasis didn't do that imo everything was recycled but nothing was upcycled.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Billy Bragg had moderate success ;) 

Rock n Roll is a derivative art form, you don't have to be completely original but you do need to bring something new and fresh to old ideas. Oasis didn't do that imo everything was recycled but nothing was upcycled.

70,000,000 records sold says they did alright 😉 

Wonderwall first song from the 90’s to reach 1 billion streams on spotify also suggests the music (one of their weaker hits) is still holding its own in current era.

The beauty of music is very much in the eye of the beholder. The subjective nature is what makes it special.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

70,000,000 records sold says they did alright 😉 

Wonderwall first song from the 90’s to reach 1 billion streams on spotify also suggests the music (one of their weaker hits) is still holding its own in current era.

The beauty of music is very much in the eye of the beholder. The subjective nature is what makes it special.

Ah the old sales equals quality nonsense. It's never been a valid discussion

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think what Oasis brought which was new and fresh was the Gallagher brothers themselves. 

The music was popular and catchy but the celebrity factor and their behaviour was what a lot of people resonated with and made the band more memorable.

Just now, Genie said:

but the celebrity factor and their behaviour was what a lot of people resonated with and made the band more memorable.

So a victory of style over substance. You won't find me disagreeing with that but you'll always find me railing against it too

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

But the niche musical whims of the VillaTalk off-topic membership is? 

It seems musics only good on here if less than 2% of members have heard it before.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It seems musics only good on here if less than 2% of members have heard it before.

2% is mainstream, half a percent is where its at.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ah this nonsense too

• Like 2

Â