Oasis: This is their thread

useless

45 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think it would always have happened anyway. just can't see it not. might speed the process up though

Same. I think Noel is motivated by large sums of money so will try and cash in before it’s too late.

If his soon to be ex wife was “you ain’t doing it” which wouldn’t surprise me then it might be the rebellion he wants.

Hopefully he isn’t tempted to do much of his solo stuff. Same goes for Liam.

She's gonna take him for £30/40m

Don't think it will impact the band, based only on what Liam says noel on the quiet does the new York apartment and LA mansion circuit (which would be crazy to know the details of) whereas Liam wants the stadiums, not sure on the record label deals and this that and the other wherr Liam seems to chase the unplugged and the live in the boat where noel went with the big greatest hits thing early doors* so it's hard to know who will do what next

* reading on stop the clocks which was released by big brother and then they released time flies and how they had like a 5 album obligation and the greatest hits was basically a way of getting out of that contract, I'm sure time flies is the really cynical one, big brother owns all their stuff and the Knebworth live album, then coming back even for mega money would be about sidestepping that

Noel has an album ready to go next year, pretty sure they will do a 30th anniversary Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory tours in 2024 and 2025, Noel could easily make back what he loses in the divorce.  I'd happily hear some new material as well if it's just Liam singing Noel's songs like in the old days.

Edit he's got an album this year, I still can't get used to it being 2023

Edited by sharkyvilla

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Don't think it will impact the band, based only on what Liam says noel on the quiet does the new York apartment and LA mansion circuit (which would be crazy to know the details of)

What’s this all about? I’ve never heard anything about this.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What’s this all about? I’ve never heard anything about this.

I'm probably wrong but that's what I always read in between the lines when Liam was moaning about how they're different now and he's moving with a high end crowd

Then again I Googled it and the only one I could find was Liam was paid £500k to perform at the birthday party of the owner of b&m bargains 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/12/2022 at 13:59, MakemineVanilla said:

It took me absolute ages before I appreciated Zapper because he took the piss out of the sort of rock'n roll bollocks which I took seriously.

In the 70's there was an excellent publication called International Musician, which was essential reading in the band I played in (bit like Melody Maker). Zappa wrote some ace articles in I.M. , one of which claimed that most musicians would rather have oral sex after a gig than get paid. Hmm.       (Don't know if you can still get that publication now in the U.K.)

1 hour ago, veloman said:

In the 70's there was an excellent publication called International Musician, which was essential reading in the band I played in (bit like Melody Maker). Zappa wrote some ace articles in I.M. , one of which claimed that most musicians would rather have oral sex after a gig than get paid. Hmm.       (Don't know if you can still get that publication now in the U.K.)

I was a devotee of the NME and I particular liked the pretentious wankery of Charles Shaar Murray et al.

Then overnight Television released Marquee Moon and they decided everything before had been shit all along.

20 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I have no interest in this post, but anything that has four, unique reactions I feel always needs to be given the fifth. 

So have a confused reaction to complete it.

Ah, a new enlistee. Welcome to the club. We call that a five-er. 

I feel that the confusion the poster may feel when getting a seemingly random reaction to the post is part of the fun though, and never acknowledge it. 

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Then overnight Television released Marquee Moon and they decided everything before had been shit all along.

Nonsense, Marquee Moon (Best debut album ever?) wasn't released until 1977. The NME had been championing punk and decided that everything that went before it was crap a good two years before Marquee Moon was released

As long as people are being honest...

I never liked them. Thought they were really derivative. Their songs didn't particularly stand out from the rest of all that 90s corporate band rock. Pretty standard, meat and potatoes, by the numbers songcraft. 

That said, I totally understand their appeal. Their spikey attitude was perfect for their young audience. They were riding the whole Cool Britannia wave as well. They had perfect timing in terms of the zeitgeist of that era. 

From afar it seemed like British youth felt they really identified with the band and the music. 

To me, the brothers seemed like a couple of words removed and their antics got boring pretty fast, not that I was ever really paying attention. 

I hope I haven't offended anyone! 

:D

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

They were riding the whole Cool Britannia wave as well.

Think you have that a bit wrong. Cool Britannia came about because of the success of Britpop and Blair becoming PM. They weren’t riding the wave, they and Blur, Spice Girls etc were the catalyst of Cool Britannia

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Think you have that a bit wrong. Cool Britannia came about because of the success of Britpop and Blair becoming PM. They weren’t riding the wave, they and Blur, Spice Girls etc were the catalyst of Cool Britannia

Fair enough, but it's also safe to say they maybe surfed the wave they helped set in motion?

On 12/12/2022 at 01:33, Jonesy7211 said:

Loved them during their 90's heyday, but as I grew out of my teens I realised the majority of their lyrics were rhythmic, non-sensical guff. Achieved a lot but very overrated.

Can't understand why they've generated so many tribute acts. There's artists/bands with much greater bodies of work.

Trying to recall the big British musical acts of the 90s...

Massive Attack

Stone Roses

Oasis

Spice Girls

Blur

Jamiroquai 

I'm sure I'm missing some sitters..

28 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Massive Attack

Stone Roses

Oasis

Spice Girls

Blur

Jamiroquai 

Robbie Williams

Robson & Jerome

Simply Red

Queen

Elton John

All in the top selling albums of the decade.

Wet Wet Wet

All Saints

Steps

Teletubbies

Elton John

Robson & Jerome

Babylon Zoo

All in the top selling singles of the decade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Massive Attack

Stone Roses

Oasis

Spice Girls

Blur

Jamiroquai 

Portishead

Pulp

The Verve

Supergrass

Garbage

Suede

Radiohead

Primal Scream

Electronic

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Robson & Jerome
All in the top selling albums of the decade.

Robson & Jerome
All in the top selling singles of the decade.

Amazing how some stuff just goes by without one noticing. I recognise and have heard all of the artists in the lists above by yourself, Bicks and Maqroll but that one, totally blank. Googled and still none the wiser.

Edited by Tegis

Â