Oasis: This is their thread

useless

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Fair bit of Slade influence, too. 

I'm sure you know, but they've done cum feel the noise on a single.

And Noel has done "merry Xmas everybody" which is probably my most listened to Xmas song 😌

Edited by lapal_fan

I just watched a couple of the Maine road songs on youtube, it’s amazing just how awful the video quality was back then :lol: 

I was once showing my lad videos of Beckham and he asked me why it was so blurry. We take our HD nowadays for granted. 

Every generation has to have something to call their own, and their choice of music usually leaves previous generations astounded at their taste.

I think the new in-thing has to irritate the previous generation, with its appearance and posturing, for the young generation to really bond with the new bands, and no one can deny that Oasis were irritating.

I certainly recall that crooners of the 1930s also came in for some stick.

Punk was a huge challenge but I think the penny eventually dropped for those initially shocked by it, by a generation who had just got used to twenty minutes of guitar noodling.

It is usually a difficult transition for the old farts but was probably less traumatic than giving up flared trousers.

Stuart Maconie has tried to explain how his generation made the leap from nothern soul to the Smiths, but it still seems inexplicable.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Punk was a huge challenge but I think the penny eventually dropped for those initially shocked by it, by a generation who had just got used to twenty minutes of guitar noodling.

It is usually a difficult transition for the old farts but was probably less traumatic than giving up flared trousers.

I've never got over either, tbh. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Billy Bragg had moderate success ;) 

Rock n Roll is a derivative art form, you don't have to be completely original but you do need to bring something new and fresh to old ideas. Oasis didn't do that imo everything was recycled but nothing was upcycled.

So you must be a huge fan of Captain Beefheart then?

16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So you must be a huge fan of Captain Beefheart then?

I'm not sure why you'd draw such a conclusion.

My personal taste lies outside of the statement you've quoted

But as it happens, I like some Beefheart, huge fan no, appreciate his contribution yes. The only album I own is Shiney Beast (Bat Chain Puller). I may add to that at some point

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure why you'd draw such a conclusion.

My personal taste lies outside of the statement you've quoted

But as it happens, I like some Beefheart, huge fan no, appreciate his contribution yes. The only album I own is Shiney Beast (Bat Chain Puller). I may add to that at some point

That's interesting.

I could never really get Beefheart myself.

It took me absolute ages before I appreciated Zapper because he took the piss out of the sort of rock'n roll bollocks which I took seriously.

I think Spinal Tap helped me with that.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

When I first heard Supersonic I wasn't at all taken with it. I thought it was Manchester by numbers fronted by an Ian Brown wannabe - there was a lot of fuss and kerfuffle in the circles I existed in about how exciting it was and I didn't get it - so much so that I turned down the chance to go see them at a pub in Derby just before Supersonic was officially released.

Then, a few years later, I had some of the best times of my life singing along to Don't look back in anger with my best friends at 2am in the pub on a pretty regular basis. I loved that, it was an important part of my life and at that point if you'd asked me I'd definitely have said I was a fan.

But a couple of years on from that, I realised that it was the people, the times we had and youth that made those nights special and that my first impression was right - it's singalong nothing - the Carling of indie rock, no more. They had moments where they were fun, but the music was never it.

It's weird as well because when people talk about the 90's and Indie and Grunge and all that stuff, people remember Britpop as some sort of height of it, but it wasn't, it was the death of it - there was so much vibrancy, energy and creativity around in the early 90's, so much variety, so many different genres all crashing together in wonderful ways. Oasis (and Blur and Britpop generally) was that energy being packaged up and sold back to us by clever men who now live in big houses - a shame really.

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When I first heard Supersonic I wasn't at all taken with it. I thought it was Manchester by numbers fronted by an Ian Brown wannabe - there was a lot of fuss and kerfuffle in the circles I existed in about how exciting it was and I didn't get it - so much so that I turned down the chance to go see them at a pub in Derby just before Supersonic was officially released.

Then, a few years later, I had some of the best times of my life singing along to Don't look back in anger with my best friends at 2am in the pub on a pretty regular basis. I loved that, it was an important part of my life and at that point if you'd asked me I'd definitely have said I was a fan.

But a couple of years on from that, I realised that it was the people, the times we had and youth that made those nights special and that my first impression was right - it's singalong nothing - the Carling of indie rock, no more. They had moments where they were fun, but the music was never it.

It's weird as well because when people talk about the 90's and Indie and Grunge and all that stuff, people remember Britpop as some sort of height of it, but it wasn't, it was the death of it - there was so much vibrancy, energy and creativity around in the early 90's, so much variety, so many different genres all crashing together in wonderful ways. Oasis (and Blur and Britpop generally) was that energy being packaged up and sold back to us by clever men who now live in big houses - a shame really.

The nineties was ruined by record labels working out how to game the charts. Pre nineties the pop charts overlapped a lot more with decent music, and then at some point it turned into Westlife having 5 songs in the top 20 type territory.

“Britpop” had elements of that going on, but I think Oasis, Pulp, Blur, the Verve, OCS, etc were genuine acts creating their own music… just a bit overhyped and commoditised by the labels in cahoots with MTV and Channel 4. All of those bands had genuine moments of genius.

We’ll probably never have another era of music where one or two bands dominate the airwaves and everyone knows all the words. It’s all about individualism now. It was fun.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Noel and his wife are to divorce. 

Why might this be news? Well, she and Liam hated each other and she was often painted as the reason why the band have never reunited. Whether that is true, I don't know.

With an expensive divorce to pay for, maybe this might prompt talks of a reunion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why might this be news? Well, she and Liam hated each other and she was often painted as the reason why the band have never reunited. Whether that is true, I don't know.

With an expensive divorce to pay for, maybe this might prompt talks of a reunion. 

Could happen.

He might fancy a bit of a blow out as a singleton. World tour, shag a load of 20 somethings one last time. 

On 13/12/2022 at 16:46, OutByEaster? said:

I went to a few Oasis concerts ,Knebworth being one but tbh for my friends and me the music wasnt why we went , it was as you say boring. The music of the ,90's was house and garage. Underground clubs built around the influx and influence of Ibiza , Oasis was like Harry Styles is now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

i think it would always have happened anyway. just can't see it not. might speed the process up though

29 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think it would always have happened anyway. just can't see it not. might speed the process up though

I'm not fussed about them putting new music out, I just want a big farewell tour! Play the old stuff. 

• Like 2

Â