Oasis: This is their thread

useless

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Love them, the sound track to my life.  I hate it (absolutely hate it), but I don't really like anything else - how dull is that?  There are songs I really like, but I can't just listen to anything else, like I can Oasis.

"First two albums" is what you hear a lot of, but then some of my faves are things like

Masterplan

She is Love

Gas Panic!

Alone on the rope

everybody's on the run

a simple game of genius

lord shine a light on me

the river

all you're dreaming of 

Once

Dig out your soul

stop crying your heart out

holy mountain (that's as pop-y as I like them)

Don't go away

d'you know what I mean 

flashbax 

long way road

All of those are post whats the story.

The lyrics have never really mattered to me, I've always just loved the melodies and that I can kinda eek out a decent impression of them! 

But I'm a saddo.  I watch interviews and all sorts of shit.  I've seen Oasis 3/4 times and Noel once.  I'm a non-super-super-fan :D 

See, it's a bit of a shame that no other artist has grabbed you like that, but its terrific that you found at least one that did. Many people never have that.

I still find it baffling though 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

D’you Know What I Mean is the only thing they did after What’s the Story that I liked.

They became more obviously a Beatles tribute act later on… lost a bit of their edge. I think Noel always underestimated how important the other band members were to the sound.

He just wanted to chill and for the others to take responsibility and write some tunes.  There are loads of interviews of him around standing on the shoulders of giants in 1999/2000 AND heathen chemistry in 2002 saying "I'd love it if Liam wrote more songs" and he did, like.. Little James (less said the better) and song bird (which I'm not that fond of, but it was a single people liked at the time).  It just never really happened. 

53 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

See, it's a bit of a shame that no other artist has grabbed you like that, but its terrific that you found at least one that did. Many people never have that.

I still find it baffling though 😄

I blame my brother.  He's 6 years older than me and had a cd player in his room, which woke me up with Oasis every single morning as a kid :lol:

It was way cooler than Supertramp or Abba (parent's choice!). 

54 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He just wanted to chill and for the others to take responsibility and write some tunes.  There are loads of interviews of him around standing on the shoulders of giants in 1999/2000 AND heathen chemistry in 2002 saying "I'd love it if Liam wrote more songs" and he did, like.. Little James (less said the better) and song bird (which I'm not that fond of, but it was a single people liked at the time).  It just never really happened. 

What I meant is a lot of the earlier songs were Noel’s basic idea but the final piece was a group effort. They were composed in big jam sessions rather than one person hiding away and writing a finished song. You can hear the difference.

• Like 1

I reckon I could fill one side of a C90 of their stuff, 13 tracks if memory serves and not be sick listening to it. I know I am ok with the Masterplan, I know that, Importance of being idle is acceptable too. I even come close to liking the unplugged version of Some might say, which has Noel on vocals. Dont look back in anger before it got over played was good. I think I could get 13 tracks that didnt repulse me, easily.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I reckon I could fill one side of a C90 of their stuff, 13 tracks if memory serves and not be sick listening to it. I know I am ok with the Masterplan, I know that, Importance of being idle is acceptable too. I even come close to liking the unplugged version of Some might say, which has Noel on vocals. Dont look back in anger before it got over played was good. I think I could get 13 tracks that didnt repulse me, easily.

Shall I explain what a C90 is for our younger viewers?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’ve never really understood the “Beatles tribute band” stuff, they were absolutely nothing like the Beatles.

The Real People taught them everything they knew about ripping off Beatles songs. It’s literally how they started writing songs, copying chord sequences from Beatles songs in the Real Peoples Dock Road studio.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Real People taught them everything they knew about ripping off Beatles songs. It’s literally how they started writing songs, copying chord sequences from Beatles songs in the Real Peoples Dock Road studio.

Everybody uses those chord sequences, and I’m sure the Beatles weren’t first either.

The Beatles also made about a million songs so every other act has some similar sounding tracks.

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

Everybody uses those chord sequences, and I’m sure the Beatles weren’t first either.

The Beatles also made about a million songs so every other act has some similar sounding tracks.

Around 200. Oasis didn’t just rip off the Beatles, they also ripped off a man that parodied the Beatles 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i must be the only oasis fan that hasn't seen them live. reckon i'll ever get to? there have been numerous other bands out there with bigger issues that have managed to play on stage together again...you'd think at some stage 2 brothers would be able to

Unfortunately for you I just don’t see it. A couple of yrs ago it seemed possible. But the feud seems to have opened up again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Unfortunately for you I just don’t see it. A couple of yrs ago it seemed possible. But the feud seems to have opened up again. 

Same.

Noel doesn’t like Liam, because he’s a nob but also because of what he said many times about his wife. Noel has also said he doesn’t like how Oasis fans were at the end (yobbish).

There’s no signs of him softening on this stance as he denied Liam use of Oasis songs in the documentary As It Was a year or 2 ago and even blocked broadcast of any Oasis tracks in this summers Knebworth documentary. Liams fiancé said that Liam had reached out to Noel a couple of times but Noel wasn’t interest at all, even when Liam had financial issues Noel didn’t care.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve never really understood the “Beatles tribute band” stuff, they were absolutely nothing like the Beatles.

They borrowed a lot of the chord progressions and songwriting ideas from the Beatles, but the sound owed much more to shoegaze bands like Ride and the big Manchester bands like the Stone Roses. I don't think the Beatles ever made a song like Slide Away or Columbia.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Absolutely nothing?

This is the kind of stuff Noel started churning out that really did suck balls.

Their first album sounds a lot less Beatles-y, except for maybe Married with Children. I think it's a really really good album... brainless pub rock at its finest. People take music too seriously sometimes.

Â