Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

What was the logic behind this signing exactly? I can't see any.. so basically our transfer policy for 18 months.

Maybe we’re at a stage where we have ”manager signings” and ”club signings”? Would be unprofessional of course but not unlikely or uncommon.

Donk may look like value for money on some Excel spreadsheet in Lange’s computer.

• Sad 1

the guy is a 6ft 2 defensive midfielder.

Gerrard brings him on when we are chasing a game, losing 2-0, and plays him as a number 8 (it seems).

Maybe he should be played in the holding role that he is best suited to!?!?

Im not sure what you guys expect, Gerrard is systematically making nearly all of our players look like u12's.

Granted, some of are players are just that bad, but he's doing his best to regress even the average/good ones.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the guy is a 6ft 2 defensive midfielder.

Gerrard brings him on when we are chasing a game, losing 2-0, and plays him as a number 8 (it seems).

Maybe he should be played in the holding role that he is best suited to!?!?

Im not sure what you guys expect, Gerrard is systematically making nearly all of our players look like u12's.

Granted, some of are players are just that bad, but he's doing his best to regress even the average/good ones.

Wolves were trying to change the way they played under Lage. Bought in Nunes to replace him. As Dendoncker is a destroyer and unsung type of player. 

Dendoncker was a key part of Wolves top 6 and top 8 finishes.  Doesnt take a genius to realise that it might work better with him as the DM and then Luiz and Ramsey/McGinn taking the 8 roles. 

Another purchase being ruined by Gerrard

• Like 3

When he was signed we all said that it was a signing for the bench, he was never going to start ahead of Mcginn. Wolves fans said he was garbage! 13M? Jeez!

3 hours ago, calcifer said:

When he was signed we all said that it was a signing for the bench, he was never going to start ahead of Mcginn. Wolves fans said he was garbage! 13M? Jeez!

Hard to say how good his is when he's yet to start a game and forced to player Gerrard's useless system.

• Like 1

A regular starting midfielder for the number 2 ranked team in international football.  He must have something in his locker and I'd wager that playing him in his preferred position might help unearth that. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, duke313 said:

Can’t wait to see him in a Pochettino or Emery double pivot along with Kamara.

I can see this happening immediately. Not a clue why Gerrard isn't trying it.

Why on earth did he sign him?

22 hours ago, duke313 said:

Can’t wait to see him in a Pochettino or Emery double pivot along with Kamara.

While I'm a fervent proponent of the double pivot, I'd probably rather have Dougie along Kamara for most games.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WooJung said:

While I'm a fervent proponent of the double pivot, I'd probably rather have Dougie along Kamara for most games.

I'd actually have that same double pivot and play Doug as an 8 with more freedom.

• Like 1

Said it when we signed him and I'll say it again. There was no point in signing him, he's just another body at best.

My biggest criticism of Gerrard is how he seemingly wanted to replace almost everyone from the squad he inherited with bigger and more expensive names. I believe Dendoncker was supposed to be the Nakamba replacement. Coutinho was supposed to replace Buendia. Digne was supposed to replace Targett. I truly think had Carlos remained fit, Gerrard intended him to replace Mings. Kamara was supposed to replace Luiz.

I get as an incoming manager you want to get your own guys in and not all of these signings were bad, but its clear to me that he never seemed to rate a large portion of the squad he inherited which led to him purchasing expensive replacements that aren't that much better than the players he already had.

• Like 2

Â