Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Controlled the ball , brought it down on his chest and passes to to a claret shirt 

Build him a **** statue.

I think it highlighted how much McGinn hinders us when he's in his panicky mode, which is most of the time.

Looked like a slow carthorse under Gerrard. Even Dingles fans said he was a slow workhorse.

Showed today a surprising bit of pace, desire and was all round superb. He and Dougie look like they've got a good balance and connection.

Just shows what an actual coach can do. Also shows to me how Gerrard was insistent on a system no matter what his coaches were advising.

On 20/10/2022 at 22:14, Zero7 said:

Tell me what this donkey offers

1 hour ago, grobs said:

Immense today 

Two posts. Two games. Three days apart

VT in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Controlled the ball , brought it down on his chest and passes to to a claret shirt 

Build him a **** statue.

Witchcraft.

I will say I think you lot are overrating him a tad. He was excellent today don't get me wrong but I just think you guys are comparing and contrasting him to McGinn and Ramsey in midfield who don't show for the ball, don't pass it and offer nothing defensively. 

He's always been a solid defensive midfielder for Wolves, which is what we've been crying out for in the middle of the park.  Still starting for Belgium, despite falling out of favor in club football, but today he showed what he's all about for the first time in a Villa shirt. 

Will prove to be a great bargain signing in the long run.

• Like 2

Just now, KMitch said:

He's always been a solid defensive midfielder for Wolves, which is what we've been crying out for in the middle of the park.  Still starting for Belgium, despite falling out of favor in club football, but today he showed what he's all about for the first time in a Villa shirt. 

Will prove to be a great bargain signing in the long run.

Where does he fit when Kamara is back? Luiz and Kamara or Donk and Kamara?

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I will say I think you lot are overrating him a tad. He was excellent today don't get me wrong but I just think you guys are comparing and contrasting him to McGinn and Ramsey in midfield who don't show for the ball, don't pass it and offer nothing defensively. 

Well I'm not comparing him to them at all. Just commenting on what I saw with my own eyes today.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

tbh i wouldnt worry about that right now, we are prob at least 2 months away from that being a problem to consider.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Competition for places...  Kamara and Dougie have the quality to do both roles, but if we need a bit more steel against some tougher sides, Donck can slot in for one of them.  Otherwise, it'll be the most in form of the 3 of them starting.

This is a good thing! 

16 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Well I'm not comparing him to them at all. Just commenting on what I saw with my own eyes today.

Well I mean that sort of is the thing though. You compare what a great performance this was to the dross we've been serving up on a weekly basis and a lot of credit goes to Dendoncker being able to defend. But it's more that he's able to defend than anything he did being that amazing today imo. 

50 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The type of 7/10 performance that is vital to the success of any team. Superb. 

I said when we signed him that sometimes the signings who are the least exciting , end up being the most important. Hopefully he can continue in this vein, give protection to the back four and a solid platform for the team to play from.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

Two posts. Two games. Three days apart

VT in a nutshell. 

I think to be fair though mate neither are wrong but this is totally down to how he has been utilised in those two games. 

Bringing him on when we’re a couple of goals down and expecting him to play as some advanced 8 isn’t his game and he was never going to look good. 

Today we’ve asked him to do what he’s good at, sit in, tidy up and let those around attack. He was great. 

31 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Luiz and Kamara. With Dendoncker fighting for a place. Or you could even play Kamara and Dendoncker with Luiz in front. Not sure where Buendia would fit in then though, unless used as a wide playmaker.

Â