Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yeah but that would mean dropping one of if not both of McGinn and Ramsey, which Gerrard will seemingly never do.

Gerrard isn’t stupid. He knows the pressure will be on with a few more defeats and bad performances like we seen today.

If he wants to avoid the sack, he’ll abandon this current setup, and go 4231 or 433.

19 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

We could genuinely play:

Kamara Luiz

Bailey Buendia Sarr

Ings

It's so obvious when you look at it so sums up Gerrard he flatly refuses to consider 4-2-3-1 as anything other than sin against football.

McGinn needs to be dropped and while Ramsey is a top prospect he's struggled for a bit now to impose himself on games so don't think a spell out of team would do him any harm and he'd still get plenty of minutes.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As I said though, wonder if we also want physically stronger forwards?

Would make sense?

We are too light everywhere.

Agreed. Every time we come up against physical teams we roll over. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's annoying, is that when we actually play quickly, we've SEEN that we can be devastating 🤦🏿‍♂️

One in ten games though is just not going to do it at this level. We are consistently disjointed,  instead of consistently cohesive. And it's been that way for far, far too long. 

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's so obvious when you look at it so sums up Gerrard he flatly refuses to consider 4-2-3-1 as anything other than sin against football.

McGinn needs to be dropped and while Ramsey is a top prospect he's struggled for a bit now to impose himself on games so don't think a spell out of team would do him any harm and he'd still get plenty of minutes.

Yep ramsey could do with being able to sit for a bit or play in a different role vs different teams.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's annoying, is that when we actually play quickly, we've SEEN that we can be devastating 🤦🏿‍♂️

The chance Buendia missed today was example. Quick transition in central midfield, Cash in yards of space down the right and he picks out Buendia. Shame we only see that move once or twice a game when likes of Brighton can do it 5-6 times (albeit without a finishing touch often).

I mean I've no issue signing Sarr, he's a good player. But in a situation where we don't have unlimited money, you wouldn't chuck £25m at a position we don't really utilise when there's glaring problems elsewhere that aren't going away.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I mean I've no issue signing Sarr, he's a good player. But in a situation where we don't have unlimited money, you wouldn't chuck £25m at a position we don't really utilise when there's glaring problems elsewhere that aren't going away.

It does seem odd as the priority should be CM and CB, but I'd guess the money is there for all 3 positions and we're actively trying to fill the other gaps. 

• Like 1

Great...  Another player to boot the ball into the channel for and hope he does something magical.  Massively overrated by VillaTalk too, basically the winger version of Bissouma.  

Should have sacked Gerrard instead.  

If we sign Sarr then I assume we want to go more 4-2-3-1 so we will need to improve CM alongside Kamara - neither McGinn or Ramsey would work in a midfield two IMO. 

However, I cannot see Gerrard dropping either of them 

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Take the negativity around the team away which I think is clouding things. IMO he is a very good player and another quality signing hopefully for the club. He has the versatility to be a winger or wide forward a lesser Mane… We cannot always sign players in the order they are needed and this does mean they don’t have their eyes on the obvious CM and defence issues. 

I do hope you are right.

Sarr is big, strong, fast and athletic. We need more players with these attributes for sure. If we could get at least one centre mid and a centre half with the same attributes then we would certainly become less like a kitten rolling over to have his tummy tickled when we play. 
I am warming to this but we must get at least two more, otherwise the gain is marginal at best. Just to be clear, Bednarek  does not fulfill these criteria.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This feels about the same as when we signed Ings. A good player that we don’t need. There are other positions in the team that urgently need be strengthened first.

Also he would have no place in Gerrard’s “tactics”. It would only make sense if Sarr was recommended by our future manager?

Â