Pre Match Thread

rjw63

5 hours ago, MrSmirch said:

Martinez,

KKH, Chambers, Mings, Digne,

Buendia, Sanson, Kamara, Ramsey

Bailey Archer

A few questions. Why has Cash been dropped? Why has Carlos been dropped? Wouldn’t it make more sense to play Bailey (a left winger) on the left wing? 

Would like to see a 4-3-2-1 with these guys to see if it works

Martinez

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

Kamara Luiz

McGinn

Buendia Coutinho

Whoever is in form out of Ings, Watkins or Bailey

Ideally I'd go with a 4-2-3-1 with Luiz Kamara in CM behind Bailey, Coutinho and Buendia with Watkins or Ings up front but can't see Gerrard dropping his new captain after 1 game.

Edit: Fwiw I wouldn't mind if he tried Archer from the start but don't see that happening either.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

You think those on the pitch will make the distinction? I don’t, I think they’ll hate a miserable, toxic atmosphere no matter who it’s aimed at. Everton, the rest of the league and media will love it though. 

Look at Utd, 1st game of the season and they booed the players! That was aimed at the players. I don't like to see booing, but if we play like we did vs Bournemouth then the fans are entitled to voice their disappointment! 

Fail to win this and things could get toxic very quick, we have a tough run of fixtures! 

Away at Palace then home to West Ham then away to Arsenal before City come to Villa Park! 

Say we lost all those games, Villa Park would be toxic when Southampton came to town on the 16th September, live on Sky! 

Would be nice if the game plan was focused on playing it on the ground this time instead of trying to cross it high into the box against immobile beanpole Yerry Mina and a James Tarkowski who spent the last 6 years standing in his own box heading the ball away.

Just an idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a very big game for Steven - if we were to lose this one, the pressure would be enormous.

We lose against Everton and Palace away looks a nightmare 

First home game of the season and already it’s full of tension. Massive for Gerrard and the players, and a chance to give everyone some belief back.

Honestly, I don’t know our best eleven right now but the real worry is that I don’t think the manager does either? By fluke or judgement, we need the three points otherwise it’s going to get quite hostile and we don’t want that.

I’m going to say a nervy but narrow win. 🙏🏻

Martinez

Cash        Chambers    Carlos       Digne

Kamara       Luiz

McGinn

Buendia            Coutinho 

Ings

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

On 10/08/2022 at 12:01, Villatillidie95 said:

Quite glad Big Dunc isnt in charge for this one, we were quite lucky to get out of their place with a 1-0 win last season....having him in charge, geeing up the team before proceeding to kick the **** out of us in front of a nervous and tense VP would definitely get the crowd on the teams back sooner rather than later

I watched that and we were pretty comfortable (for 1-0 anyway) until last 20 minutes when they started getting some corners and set pieces. Everton were terrible that day for first hour and that was first time I thought they could genuinely go down and they weren't far off in the end.

It really shouldn't be difficult for us, we've won 4 out of 6 v them since coming up and think we've only conceded a goal in two of those games.

Should help us they don't seem bothered about getting in a CF just yet, Gordon will probably have to be carried off with heatstroke after an hour way he charges about.

So 1-1 then....

4 hours ago, sne said:

Would be nice if the game plan was focused on playing it on the ground this time instead of trying to cross it high into the box against immobile beanpole Yerry Mina and a James Tarkowski who spent the last 6 years standing in his own box heading the ball away.

Just an idea.

Most of the Burnley gameplan at VP was hitting deep crosses that errr.....Tarkowski headed away with ease.

• Sad 1

I think we will win, I'm not basing that on anything to do with football, it just seems inevitable that after the meltdown following the Bournemouth result, we will now go and win the next game. Somehow have a feeling Archer is going to get his first Premier League goal as well.

• Like 1