Pre Match Thread

rjw63

He needs to drop McGinn and Ramsey, or at least one of them, bring Watkins in for Ings, and either brings Mings back in or at the very least Chambers for Konsa. He really needs to get rid of his system too because it just ain't working and hasn't since he's arrived. 

I'd probably line up like: Martinez, Cash, Carlos, Mings, Digne, Luiz, Kamara, Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho, Watkins

But the likelihood is that McGinn will play over Buendia probably. Coutinho is on very thin ice for me, if he doesn't start to improve his game and be more consistent he has to lose his place. Maybe give him once more chance against Everton but if he's awful again then he needs to sit on the bench for a while. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our midfield balance is so wrong.

I'd play three of these six/eights:

Kamara/Luiz/Nakamba/Iroegbunam

And only one of these eight/tens:

Coutinho/McGinn/Buendia/Ramsey

At a push McGinn might be able to play as one of the first group, but he's horrible at it.

I'd be looking to buy another six sharpish - maybe two.

Why hasn't this been resolved when it was clearly the main issue from last season? Hopefully we can get something going next week.

On 06/08/2022 at 18:52, maqroll said:

Martinez 

Cash.      Mings.       Carlos.        Digne

McGinn.      Kamara.     Luiz

Bailey.             Watkins.      Buendia 

I think this is the realistic best we can hope for. 

What will likely happen is the above with Coutinho instead of Buendia. 

What would be even better is to sack off the 41221 and go double pivot with 3 behind the forward. But we know it's not happening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Wanna go with this but not a chance.SmartSelect_20220724-134102_Chrome.jpg

Buendia on the left? I guess if you ask him and Bailey to swap and interchange then it might be OK.

In any case, it would still be miles better than what we've seen so far.

The issue we have is that over half of the midfield have no match fitness due to being massively underused over our last few games. And this formation has never even been tried during our pre season, so they'd all have to learn a new style of tactic. This is way too much for an experienced coach to overcome, let alone one that is learning the ropes.

Sadly. I expect a repeat of the misguided 8 system and wingbacks providing width. 

Too early to call this a must win, but after the manner of yesterday's defeat I think it's certainly a must not lose.

Everton looked quite resilient against Chelsea yesterday, albeit lacking a cutting edge without a proper striker. If they get one in this week, I'd fear for us.

Surely needs to go 4 3 1 2 as we're most effective with split forwards and one 10. People don't get in each others way in that system. Coutinho Watkins Ings, Luiz Kamara McGinn, Digne Mings Carlos Cash.

So three changes to the line up. Watkins, Luiz and Mings for Bailey, JJ and Konsa.

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Surely needs to go 4 3 1 2 as we're most effective with split forwards and one 10. People don't get in each others way in that system. Coutinho Watkins Ings, Luiz Kamara McGinn, Digne Mings Carlos Cash.

So three changes to the line up. Watkins, Luiz and Mings for Bailey, JJ and Konsa.

I think I agree with you. Only thing is I’m fed up with poor performances having little  reflection on whether you get picked. 

I’d go with team you picked but Buendia over Coutinho. 

Countinho needs to earn his place back in the team. 

Need to be putting in more physical players such as Tim and Chambers for Ramsey and konsa.

Need more discipline from the midfield so mccgin out sansom in 

And big phil either behind the forward or sub for me as is a wasted space otherwise.

I'd be playing this... 

4-5-1

Martinez 

Cash - Carlos - Mings - Digne

Luiz - Kamara

Bailey - Buendia - El Ghazi

Archer

I'll get laughed at cos of AEG but I don't care. I think he's been bombed out by Gerrard without being given a chance to prove himself, plus I want to see players who can play wide, not the FBs having to do 5 jobs because of the stupid formation. 

4231 for me....5 out from the Bournemouth. game ( I hope)

Konsa.    Mcginn.   Ramsey....Coutinho ..,Ings

My team 4231

Martinez

Cash.         Diego.       Ming's.       Digne

Kamara.    Tim

Bailey.                    Buendia.                      Luiz

Watkins

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Hoping that the Bournemouth game was just like the Wigan 09/10 opener and all this reaction is unwarranted.  We'll see on Saturday I guess.

Things can change quickly.  Remember how bad we looked under Smith just before that 10 game unbeaten run.  Then there was the time we looked destined to go down but somehow managed to nick some points all of a sudden.

It could just click under Gerrard starting with a win on Saturday.  I have a feeling it will be a draw though with neither team wanting to lose the first 2 games of the season.

What if we play a back 5? Don’t think this would be bad and might free up the wingbacks to provide a bit of attacking threat and maybe two strikers in the box to get on the end of crosses? 

Martinez 

Konsa     Mings    Carlos 

cash                                      Digne 

Kamara mcginn 

Buendia 

Ings               Watkins 

I think we'll see Chambers in for Konsa defensively.

Interested to see the changes he makes in attack, hoping our home tactics are different to our away tactics and we play a more attacking game. Can't help but think that it will be the 4-3-1-2 with Ings and Watkins up top.