Pre Match Thread

rjw63

1 minute ago, chappy said:

I heard the commentator say he wasn’t on the pitch to defend the corner because of this but then watched it back on MOTD and there he was in the box defending.

He was on the pitch for the corner but he was off the pitch in the build up to them winning the corner. Is a still of the game in midfield and him walking off at 2 minutes on the clock to the dugout

• Thanks 1

I've got a bad feeling about this game, honestly. Early kick off, heatwave, train strike, everyone rushing to get to the ground stuck in traffic on the m6 etc, people are already seething and looking for an excuse to let of some steam and vent. Can see it turning nasty if we concede immediately after kick off like the Bournemouth game....It seems a very villa thing to happen, everything conspiring against us, shooting ourselves in the foot, are own worst enemy, chaos on the way out of the game etc....

Hope i'm wrong! They have to prove to us they are fit to wear the shirt and gerrard has to prove to us he is capable of arresting this very concerning decline!

• Like 1

I don't care if it is the 2nd game of the season.

It is a must win. For Gerrard it's a must win

We go a goal down and it'll be Preston and Bruce.

If Mings' isn't on the pitch there will be chants for Mings and Gerrard will be done for.

So yes it is a must win.

45 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I've got a bad feeling about this game, honestly. Early kick off, heatwave, train strike, everyone rushing to get to the ground stuck in traffic on the m6 etc, people are already seething and looking for an excuse to let of some steam and vent. Can see it turning nasty if we concede immediately after kick off like the Bournemouth game....It seems a very villa thing to happen, everything conspiring against us, shooting ourselves in the foot, are own worst enemy, chaos on the way out of the game etc....

Hope i'm wrong! They have to prove to us they are fit to wear the shirt and gerrard has to prove to us he is capable of arresting this very concerning decline!

We really should be beating Everton at home.

People have predicted them in the bottom 5

• Like 1

With the likes of Tarkowski, Mina and Doucoure (possibly Coady too) if we're as passive/weak in defending set pieces as we were vs Bournemouth they could cause us real problems.

I'm sure our set piece coach and Stevie G are all over that though with our wonderful tactics.

36 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We really should be beating Everton at home.

People have predicted them in the bottom 5

And we really should have beaten Bournemouth. 

People have predicted them in the bottom 1. 😑

• Like 1

Can’t wait to return to Villa Park and watch a diabolical, tactically inept performance.

He’ll start the exact same 11 as last week even though McGinn, Ings, Coutinho and JJ (off the boil in the last few months, isn’t he?) should be nowhere near the 11.

1-2 loss. 

• Like 1

Martinez

Cash  Carlos   Mings  Digne

Kamara    Luiz

Sanson

Bailey      Watkins    Buendia

This is what the team should be, however it won't be.

Mings won't play, the midfield will be McGinn and Ramsey, and Coutinho will start.

25 minutes ago, PaulC said:

With Coady and Gueye signing the game is certainly lòoking much tougher now 

Very tough game. At a time where we look void of leaders, they’ll now have Coady and Tarkowski. And Pickford constantly barking too. They’ll be right up for it. Personally think Gerrard got it horribly wrong. If your gonna change it go with Martinez but McGinn - no , just not captain material i think. 

• Like 2

I want us to win! We wont.

But if a loss means Gerrard goes and Poch comes in, I'd rather lose the game. 

0-3 Everton. Tyrone Mings hatrick of own goals

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 1

I think we'll win this one handily having learned a thing or two by losing stingingly to Bournemouth. Actually a little surprised at the depth of doom-mongering, but perhaps I shouldn't be. Social media loves a good blarting. Time to get back in the saddle ...  

Got to say they have had a good summer so far, vinagre, Mcneil, tarkowksi, gueye, coady and now they have got a 33 million pound midfielder in, amadou onana, who west ham wanted. This will be a lot tougher than most of us think, they are not the same team as last season, far from it. 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think we'll win this one handily having learned a thing or two by losing stingingly to Bournemouth. Actually a little surprised at the depth of doom-mongering, but perhaps I shouldn't be. Social media loves a good blarting. Time to get back in the saddle ...  

We rolled over and had our belly rubbed against Bournemouth, putting up zero fight and losing for over 90 minutes (including injury time). Against the team everyone and their dogs have predicted to finish bottom.

Everton played a very good Chelsea team, and put up a good fight, ultimately losing 1-0 to a penalty. 

Who is going in to their next game with the more positive mindset? I guarantee it won't be us.

That said, anything can happen and I'm hopeful SG makes some serious changes. If he does, we stand a chance.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, villa89 said:

There won't be any changes to the team. 

I actually think there will be this time compared to last season when Gerrard was all mouth after poor defeats. Chambers, Luiz, Watkins and Buendia could all easily start this given they're all pretty experienced prem players now for us so not like we're throwing a bunch of kids in and it's still early enough in the season to make mass changes and it not to smack of desperation.

Unless of course Gerrard does c*ck it up once more and just play the same system and style with same end result but I don't see it this time as he knows he really needs to win this game otherwise he's struggling badly.

11 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I really really want JJ to do well as he’s clearly one of us, but he’s just sooo so inconsistent. I really do feel a spell on loan would be good for him and in the meantime we can have a stronger midfield as he is deffo the weak link for now. 

Bit harsh. He worked his way into last season and he was producing some top quality performances in the December-Feb period. He's also the one serious goal threat we have from central midfield. Big problem is his performances started flagging around the Arsenal game and he needed a breather but Gerrard kept playing him and eventually he got injured.

I think he'll be on the bench v Everton but he'll have a good spell at some point this season as he's too good a player not to.