Pre Match Thread

rjw63

1 hour ago, Icarium said:

When has Gerrard shown any evidence of learning anything from previous poor performances?

To be precise, it’s the whole squad that has to improve. How do you measure “evidence” of improvement with any football manager? There’s only one way, and I imagine you know that, right? If SG starts winning consistently as he did with Rangers, we will say he’s learning. So I guess we’ll see in the next three weeks. Or we won’t.  

I'm at one of those points where every post on here by everyone sounds sort of the same to me -- and sorry, nothing personal, as you lot are alright. But it's like smoking meth, where the mouth works ten times faster than the brain and words just stop mattering. 

The season on the pitch needs to catch up with the discussion of the season on the pitch.  I won't feel comfortable until we get a win. But maybe it's just me. 
giphy.gif  

• Like 1

This will either be a bore draw or we'll lose after once again having the lions share of possession, doing sweet **** all with it against a back 3 and conceding on the counter to one of Demarai Gray or Dwight McNeil.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

To be precise, it’s the whole squad that has to improve. How do you measure “evidence” of improvement with any football manager? There’s only one way, and I imagine you know that, right? If SG starts winning consistently as he did with Rangers, we will say he’s learning. So I guess we’ll see in the next three weeks. Or we won’t.  

To put it simply the managers tactics, team selection and off the field management all need to improve.. massively. That will see an improvement on the pitch and win us points.

• Thanks 1

Everton are taylor made for us, they won't sit in and defend with numbers but haven't got the top end talent to petrify us at the other end. 

This should be a win, even with that same line up from the weekend....but what does that really tell us? How have we improved from last season?

Its the same problems against the same kinds of opposition that we have to improve, im not sure a routine win against these will have us any closer. 

In saying that fail to win here and we are going backwards. 

Lot of pressure on the result here!

• Like 1

Quite glad Big Dunc isnt in charge for this one, we were quite lucky to get out of their place with a 1-0 win last season....having him in charge, geeing up the team before proceeding to kick the **** out of us in front of a nervous and tense VP would definitely get the crowd on the teams back sooner rather than later

7 minutes ago, smg said:

Not even played a home game this season and already the talk is about booing the players. I’m old enough to remember when the support got behind the team in an attempt to help them achieve success not berate them and diminish confidence levels further.

I’m not necessarily saying we should boo after a bother loss. 

For what it’s worth I think it would be aimed at the manager not players.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I’m not necessarily saying we should boo after a bother loss. 

For what it’s worth I think it would be aimed at the manager not players.

You think those on the pitch will make the distinction? I don’t, I think they’ll hate a miserable, toxic atmosphere no matter who it’s aimed at. Everton, the rest of the league and media will love it though. 

On a scale of 1-10, one being vanilla extract and 10 being nuclear waste, how toxic does Villa Park get if the line-up is bizarre, Everton are leading and Villa are awful up to the half time whistle?

I'm going seven. 

7 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

On a scale of 1-10, one being vanilla extract and 10 being nuclear waste, how toxic does Villa Park get if the line-up is bizarre, Everton are leading and Villa are awful up to the half time whistle?

I'm going seven. 

In that circumstance I’ll be going inside to inhale a boiling hot pie and enjoy the burn instead

25 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm going seven. 

I'll push the boat out to an 8. I'm pretty staunchly anti-Gerrard at this point, but for the 90 mins on Saturday I'll back him and the players because I always want my team to win. I can't say the same for some of the people around me though, sometimes it feels like the first misplaced pass of a game is too much for some of them to bear. 

33 minutes ago, wict01 said:

I'll push the boat out to an 8. I'm pretty staunchly anti-Gerrard at this point, but for the 90 mins on Saturday I'll back him and the players because I always want my team to win. I can't say the same for some of the people around me though, sometimes it feels like the first misplaced pass of a game is too much for some of them to bear. 

An early goal conceded and I think it will get tense then us struggle to keep position and working Pickford will lead to boos and empty seats

If he starts Buendia and dropas Konsa, Coutinho and McGinn it might be tolerable

A solid performance full of effort amd application along with at least a draw and in the context of 2 games at the start of a new season then I can’t get upset. A loss of any kind however and he continues to be on borrowed time. 

Edited by Ingram85