Pre Match Thread

rjw63

We tend to do well against Everton so despite our shambles today I am hoping for a response. Mings back in with Carlos would help defending corners/free kicks and start Buendia for better creative play. I'd be tempted to start Archer but creating chances was our problem today, not finishing them so I can't blame ings or watkins really.

• Like 1

There's a lot of doom and gloom right now, but a home opener might just be the salve we need.

There will be a different vibe and a new day and a reset.

But if we get another 96 minutes of McMeat-ball, things will get a bit ugly.

• Like 1

Martinez 

Cash.      Mings.       Carlos.        Digne

McGinn.      Kamara.     Luiz

Bailey.             Watkins.      Buendia 

• Like 2

Can see it being 0-0 or 1-1. Everton aren't great but Lampard will go 5 at the back and just sit in so it has feel of Watford last season.

That's if they have enough defenders left, Godfry with serious injury and Mina gone off just now.

Cannot wait to drive the 2 hrs to go to VP next week to witness a similar abject performance against Everton....🙁

And to think my fancy season ticket box thing turned up today around 2 mins past 3 this afternoon .....

It's the hope that kills you

• Like 1

These are a lot more solid than last year and playing quite well against Chelsea. banana skin game for me, I think this game will be a 1-1 draw or either team could nick it 1-0, 2 fairly matched teams will play out an unspectacular game

I’ll be at this game and I know that the atmosphere will be tense, this will certainly transmit to the players. I feel if we lose this and get a poor result against Palace, SGs days will be numbered.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, picicata said:

It should be

Martinez

Cash.   Carlos.   Mings.  Digne

Luiz.     Kamara

Bailey.     Buendia.    Coutinho

Watkins

But it won't be. Gerrard will, obviously, not drop an underperforming McGinn and will stick with his shitty 433 system.

100% this. Its so obvious. 

So Gerrard will obviously pick today's failures. 

This fraud of a manager is already under pressure and this will only be the 2nd game in. Anything other than 3 points after what was an embarrassing defeat today and time will be running out for him because after Everton and Palace we have West Ham, Arsenal, City and Leicester and we all know Gerrard is incapable of masterminding victories against any decent teams. 

Everton are one of the few clubs this mediocre Villa squad has got the better of in recent seasons so perhaps that good run will continue but being at home at Villa Park isn't an advantage because we won fewer games at home last season than we did away, coming to Villa Park just isn't difficult for opposition teams.

Hoping for a win, expectations are getting lower and lower with each passing week though as the manager gives no confidence that he can the best out of this talented squad. Almost turning to apathy now just like I was towards the end of Smith's reign.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Martinez 

Cash.      Mings.       Carlos.        Digne

McGinn.      Kamara.     Luiz

Bailey.             Watkins.      Buendia 

I've only included McGinn because I know he'll start.