Pre Match Thread

rjw63

13 hours ago, wict01 said:

Too early to call this a must win, but after the manner of yesterday's defeat I think it's certainly a must not lose.

Everton looked quite resilient against Chelsea yesterday, albeit lacking a cutting edge without a proper striker. If they get one in this week, I'd fear for us.

It's a must-not-lose if we just want to get to 17th in the league but clearly just avoiding relegation is not our remit with this squad of players, finishing top half is and according to Purslow our aim is actually 7th. So it's pretty much a must-win. Everton at home is a game we should be winning but we said the same about Bournemouth. I had us down for 6 points from the opening 2 and I think many others did, if we end up with 1 or 0 it's been a catastrophic start. It really is a game we have to win. 

I'd go with one of two line ups:

----------------------------Martinez----------------------------

Cash-----------Carlos----------Mings------------Digne

----------Kamara----Iroegbunam---Luiz----------------

--------------------------Coutinho-----------------------------

-----------------Ings--------------Watkins-------------------

(I know that's two up front - fight me).

or:

----------------------------Martinez----------------------------

Cash-----------Carlos----------Mings------------Digne

----------Kamara----Iroegbunam---Luiz----------------

----------------Coutinho------Buendia---------------------

---------------------------Watkins-------------------------------

There's no place in my line up for McGinn or Rasmey because neither of them are better number 10's than Coutinho or Buendia and we can't keep playing with three 10's a left winger and one up top, it's ridiculous.

I think Gerrard will make two changes only from Bournemouth.

---------------------------Martinez----------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa----------Carlos------------Digne

----------------------------Kamara-------------------------------

------------------Luiz----------------------------------------------

------------------------------------McGinn-----------------------

Bailey------------------Coutinho-----------------------------

---------------------------Watkins-------------------------------

And at full time he'll wonder why the midfield looks disjointed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Surely needs to go 4 3 1 2 as we're most effective with split forwards and one 10. People don't get in each others way in that system. Coutinho Watkins Ings, Luiz Kamara McGinn, Digne Mings Carlos Cash.

So three changes to the line up. Watkins, Luiz and Mings for Bailey, JJ and Konsa.

He probably will as he's such a one-dimensional manager that the only two formations he can use are 4-3-2-1 and 4-3-1-2.

Even if it works against Everton we'll probably go back to being shite against Palace. 

• Like 1

If (when) Everton go one nil up and eventually go on to win 2 nil, I predict that things will get toxic very quickly at VP....

I have not seen any real change in style or improvement since SG arrived, the only thing he brings us is his name....and that is rapidly being tarnished 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I’m there this weekend so it’ll be interesting to see if this happens. 

Yep me too, since my season ticket has fortunately (or should that be unfortunately) made its way to me in the post today 😅

1 hour ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Damn that post man! 😂 well, I’m hoping we both leave happy but I have visions of it being a bit of a drubbing 😂

Me too mate, I actually thought Everton looked alright against Chelsea. Lacking a bit of cutting edge maybe but to be expected with no striker available. I worry for the atmosphere if we go behind, especially if it's early again. 

• Like 1

These are the games we should win if we are to achieve something this season.

But it's not a "must win". The season is only starting.

It's a "must show Gerrard knows how to set up the team" game. 

6 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'd be playing this... 

4-5-1

Martinez 

Cash - Carlos - Mings - Digne

Luiz - Kamara

Bailey - Buendia - El Ghazi

Archer

I'll get laughed at cos of AEG but I don't care. I think he's been bombed out by Gerrard without being given a chance to prove himself, plus I want to see players who can play wide, not the FBs having to do 5 jobs because of the stupid formation. 

I’m sorry but el Ghazi couldn’t get a sniff at Everton, regardless if it wasn’t lampards transfer. He’s got to go 

4 hours ago, delboy54 said:

If (when) Everton go one nil up and eventually go on to win 2 nil, I predict that things will get toxic very quickly at VP....

I have not seen any real change in style or improvement since SG arrived, the only thing he brings us is his name....and that is rapidly being tarnished 

Could get pretty nasty for Stevie G.

The Everton fans obviously don't like him so he will get grief from them regardless.

If we were to lose again the home crowd could turn too.

I hope we play a better starting line up and take all 3 points because we have some tricky games coming up after this one.

Emi

Cash Carlos Mings Augustinsson

Luiz. Kamara Sanson

Buendia.       Bailey

Archer

Wont happen but feel Digne should be dropped for jewellery incident in lead up to the goal

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Emi

Cash Carlos Mings Augustinsson

Luiz. Kamara Sanson

Buendia.       Bailey

Archer

Wont happen but feel Digne should be dropped for jewellery incident in lead up to the goal

I heard the commentator say he wasn’t on the pitch to defend the corner because of this but then watched it back on MOTD and there he was in the box defending.

Edited by chappy
  • Like 1