Pre Match Thread

rjw63

45 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

We rolled over and had our belly rubbed against Bournemouth, putting up zero fight and losing for over 90 minutes (including injury time). Against the team everyone and their dogs have predicted to finish bottom.

Everton played a very good Chelsea team, and put up a good fight, ultimately losing 1-0 to a penalty. 

Who is going in to their next game with the more positive mindset? I guarantee it won't be us.

That said, anything can happen and I'm hopeful SG makes some serious changes. If he does, we stand a chance.

This is a good point. Some dogs secretly know a lot about football.

(More than I do. Just want to get that in before someone else does!) :s

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

We rolled over and had our belly rubbed against Bournemouth, putting up zero fight and losing for over 90 minutes (including injury time). Against the team everyone and their dogs have predicted to finish bottom.

Everton played a very good Chelsea team, and put up a good fight, ultimately losing 1-0 to a penalty. 

Who is going in to their next game with the more positive mindset? I guarantee it won't be us.

That said, anything can happen and I'm hopeful SG makes some serious changes. If he does, we stand a chance.

I don't disagree with your assessment. Somehow, my optimism just returned. UTV!!!!! (It's probably all the drugs and drink I did as a youngster. I tell you, there are advantages to stupidity.)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was confident against Bournemouth and look how that turned out so you will be pleased to know I could quite easily see us losing this by the odd goal in 3. Coady with the winner. Of course. 😰

I hope I'm wrong, I also hope SG makes changes from Saturdays team. Players need to know that if they don't perform then they lose their shirt. 

That in mind, I'd personally like -

Martinez

Chambers    Carlos     Mings  

Cash     Kamara    Iroegbunam    Digne

Buendia         Coutinho

Watkins 

Absolutely no chance of this team mind so I probably shouldn't even bother 🤷🏽‍♂️😅

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Got to say they have had a good summer so far, vinagre, Mcneil, tarkowksi, gueye, coady and now they have got a 33 million pound midfielder in, amadou onana, who west ham wanted. This will be a lot tougher than most of us think, they are not the same team as last season, far from it. 

Agree, they’ve done some good business when it looked like they werent going to be able to with the noises coming out during the back end of last season. Much more solid look to them with Tarkowski, Coady, Gana & Onana. Our trajectories were complete opposites but we now look to be the club in a bit of bother again while they strive for some stability. Gerrard is on thin ice with these performances and strange decisions he continually makes. Villa Park will not accept another performance like that at Bournemouth but I wouldnt be at all surprised if we got one.

0-1 Everton 😞 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Agree, they’ve done some good business when it looked like they werent going to be able to with the noises coming out during the back end of last season. Much more solid look to them with Tarkowski, Coady, Gana & Onana. Our trajectories were complete opposites but we now look to be the club in a bit of bother again while they strive for some stability. Gerrard is on thin ice with these performances and strange decisions he continually makes. Villa Park will not accept another performance like that at Bournemouth but I wouldnt be at all surprised if we got one.

0-1 Everton 😞 

I never understood those who wanted Burnley to go down end of last season. No way would we finish below Burnley, but we could quite well be below Leeds or Everton come end of the season.

• Like 1

Difficult to predict whats going to happen in this match after the  Bournemouth game, whoever scores first should win the match unless its villa. If it's Everton then it could get noisy. 

2-2 .

Leeds looked well coached on the weekend. How hard is it to put pressure on the ball as a team? People go together and close down, players picking up players in space and giving them no out. We witness it being done to us most weeks but dont seem to do it ourselves. We’re an easy touch. Thats why dross like Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton and the like all have great h2h prem records against us. We’ve been so bad for so long, as soon as we look decent we get players taken off us and we never recover. Brighton lose their better players but still have a good gameplan and look properly coached that it doesnt affect them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Difficult to predict whats going to happen in this match 

We'll have lots of the ball but be totally ineffective with it. We'll have 5 players playing in centre midfield and no width or at best an isolated full back trying to provide width in a system that no other club plays and makes no sense. 

Edited by villa89

Should hopefully see a good reaction from the lads in this game and some corrections from Gerrard in team selection (Watkins, Luiz and Mings in the team I hope).

Seems everyone has decided we will never win another game under Gerrard but it really isn’t that tragic yet and I would hope that we would see the return of some good form after that wake up call at Bournemouth. I would take a good performance regardless of result. 

10 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Leeds looked well coached on the weekend. How hard is it to put pressure on the ball as a team? People go together and close down, players picking up players in space and giving them no out. We witness it being done to us most weeks but dont seem to do it ourselves. We’re an easy touch. Thats why dross like Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton and the like all have great h2h prem records against us. We’ve been so bad for so long, as soon as we look decent we get players taken off us and we never recover. Brighton lose their better players but still have a good gameplan and look properly coached that it doesnt affect them.

Can’t remember which YouTube channel it was, but they described our press against Bournemouth as a half press. Players left there positions, but only half arsed pressure on the opponent. Played right into Bournemouths hands.

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

Do people think that SG will field an unchanged starting XI against Everton?

I do and that is why I have lost hope. Maybe he drops Ings, but I cannot see him make changes that would make a real difference.

This would most likely gift Everton 3 points. 

I think he will make some changes. It was such a poor result. 

Buendia for Coutinho, Luiz for Ramsey and Watkins for Ings. 

I think he might stick with Konsa, though he shouldn't

We should look better for it.

If he doesn't do that then he's even worse than I currently rate him, which is pretty lowly. 

• Like 2

On 09/08/2022 at 07:24, Marka Ragnos said:

I think we'll win this one handily having learned a thing or two by losing stingingly to Bournemouth. Actually a little surprised at the depth of doom-mongering, but perhaps I shouldn't be. Social media loves a good blarting. Time to get back in the saddle ...  

When has Gerrard shown any evidence of learning anything from previous poor performances?