Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

We're playing very poorly. XG for in last three games just 2.12 which is very poor indeed. XG against 8.97. It's not a fluke we've lost the last three games, it's been thoroughly deserved. Wide open defensively and creating very little going forward, although we've managed to score five goals in that time so our finishing has clearly been good.

We need a win against Everton and a dominant performance really to show we're an actual good team. We're playing like a team in the bottom 3 currently, not a midtable team.

We've just played the best 2 teams in the league. Most bottom half sides will lose to Arsenal at home and at City this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, maybe. Maybe we will get 3 from the next 6. I think it’s a possibility given how fragile we are. Unlikely, but a possibility yes. I don’t think we’ll go down, I’m just saying we’re nowhere near as good as people on this forum want to believe. We could very well be pulled into this relegation fight. 

Yes. We were poor because we gifted them goals. Generally, if you gift the opposition goals, it means you’re poor. 

Agreed. We can be comfortably the better side every week if we like, but if we also continue to gift 3 or 4 goals to the opposition each time then we won’t win many games at all.

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There already is one in essence. However it hasn’t got the ambitious sex appeal for the optimists that populate the European thread and equally it doesn’t exude the required brooding bleak romanticism of Edgar Allan Poe that this relegation thread does for the pessimists.

Here it is, in all it’s <shrug shoulders, yeah whatever> glory.

No top half is just too damn sexy. I am looking at a solid 45 to 48 points to get 12th sort of thread.

• Haha 1

Reading this thread since the defeat to Arsenal has been interesting. Seems a few more people are getting nervous now after three dreadful defeats in a row, conceding 11 in the process - including one poster who was against the possibility of relegation and opted to call people names has backtracked on his own position 😂

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Most top half teams too

Yeah, my lad was really down on the way home.

I asked him which teams would have lost to both Arsenal and Citeh this season. Answer is nearly all of them, we just had the misfortune to play them both on the bounce. 

11 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Just need to get to 40 points quickly. The team just isn't very good. 

the first 11 is fine. it's the depth that's still not good. we went luiz - dendonker, coutinho - ramsey and buendia to bailey yesterday. those are big downgrades IMO

we still have games to play this season which you'd expect us to be 2 or 3 up by the time we make those changes. we'll be fine

Until we have enough points of course we are in the mix. The Everton game is critical now. Lose that and that will be four on the bounce and that starts to become the habit. Emery is not a miracle worker too many of this squad are bang average. We need to replace both centre backs desperately, hopefully come the summer that will happen.

We got lucky a few times in Unai's first few games, and now we've been unlucky a bit. We're not going down, but we need to get a grip. Especially our defence is abysmal, which is weird because our tactics and shape are good. You have to conclude that many of our players just aren't all that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AVTuco said:

We got lucky a few times in Unai's first few games, and now we've been unlucky a bit. We're not going down, but we need to get a grip. Especially our defence is abysmal, which is weird because our tactics and shape are good. You have to conclude that many of our players just aren't all that.

When it's usually down to brain farts or blatant mistakes and not tactics or the setup, then this is what you ultimately have to conclude. If we want more out of the current coaching setup then we need higher quality players too. But we're getting there imo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, osmark86 said:

When it's usually down to brain farts or blatant mistakes and not tactics or the setup, then this is what you ultimately have to conclude. If we want more out of the current coaching setup then we need higher quality players too. But we're getting there imo.

You're right.

I hope anyone posting seriously about us going down recently feels suitably stupid today.

Three losses in a row when two of them are the top two teams in the country and people overreact. At least this thread can be locked soon enough. 

• Like 2