Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

The victory today says an awful lot. Personally I thought we’d continue on a downward spiral after recent results. But actually, I think this group of players can get us through the rest of the season and see us safe before long - we just need to not crumble so badly at home. We can then do what we need to do in the summer. 

Fair play. 

• Haha 2

Southampton starting to get cut adrift, or at least moving into next game must win territory, a strange decision by them to name such an inexperienced coach as first team manager. But for the rest it's still incredibly tight, just three points seperate Bournemouth in nineteenth place and Leicester in fourteenth.

As for us before the game I wasn't expecting us to be in any real danger of getting relegated or even being drawn into the battle, but still an important win with regards to the teams below us, because if we'd have lost we would be just six points clear of the bottmo three now rather than ten, and being just four points ahead of Everton wouldn't have looked good either.

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

The victory today says an awful lot. Personally I thought we’d continue on a downward spiral after recent results. But actually, I think this group of players can get us through the rest of the season and see us safe before long - we just need to not crumble so badly at home. We can then do what we need to do in the summer. 

Fair play. 

You genuinely think this Everton side can make up 11 points on us? Even a boring 0-0 would've been o.k for any remote possibility of relegation danger.

We'll finish 10-15 points clear of 18th, the gap is currently 10 points. I expect us to be all but safe by the March international break with two home wins.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Lock this miserable thread...or at least relegate it to other football

Once we cut Steven loose this thread was strictly about the PL relegation battle. That gym coach was the only threat of relegation we had within our club. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

You genuinely think this Everton side can make up 11 points on us? Even a boring 0-0 would've been o.k for any remote possibility of relegation danger.

We'll finish 10-15 points clear of 18th, the gap is currently 10 points. I expect us to be all but safe by the March international break with two home wins.

That was it for me too

I watched Everton vs Liverpool and for as bad as we looked conceding all those goals we were still night and day compared to them

Can't help but think those panicking over relegation was watching too much of us and not realising how shit some of the teams down there are

9 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

8 points above the drop zone. The string of results required for us to be relegated now would mean one of the biggest collapses in footballing history. We probably need 6 points from 14 games realistically.

10 points actually!

Just now, villa4europe said:

That was it for me too

I watched Everton vs Liverpool and for as bad as we looked conceding all those goals we were still night and day compared to them

Can't help but think those panicking over relegation was watching too much of us and not realising how shit some of the teams down there are

Everton are exactly like we were under Lambert. Bargain basement players in most positions but sometimes someone comes up with something to win them a game. I can't see them getting to 35 points though.

Even as bad as we were under Gerrard we still beat them, Southampton and got as time has gone on a decent point at Forest so generally our record to other bottom half teams has been pretty good this season. 

Hopefully we can do similar to West Ham in a few weeks as we need to turn that horrid record around v them sooner or later.

We need to kick on now and get to 50 points. It's only another 6 wins and a draw and that's very possible with the fixtures we have left.

• Like 1

We were 17th when Stevie G got sacked in October. Remarkable turnaround in such a short time from Unai. With a cushion over 12th, we can focus on trying to get into the top half, not worried about lower mid-table.

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We were 17th when Stevie G got sacked in October. Remarkable turnaround in such a short time from Unai. With a cushion over 12th, we can focus on trying to get into the top half, not worried about lower mid-table.

It's similar to what Howe did 12 months ago for Newcastle albeit he had far more help in the Jan transfer market. Would be interested the points comparison between the two in their first 15 games or however many Unai has been in charge for.