Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

This thread is ridiculous. We’ve just lost to the two best teams in the league and people are using that to suggest that we’re going down.

Results since Emery came in have been more than I expected and had we not wasted the first third of the season without an actual manager we’d be up there with Brighton and Fulham in my opinion. 

• Like 4

Need only about 8 points from the next 14 games. In my mind, I think we'll do it, but it's obviously possible to need more, too. I look forward to a day when this thread is almost forgotten, but we're nowhere near it, and yeah, I get sick of the indignities of these little jittery weekends where it feels like we're all about to shit our pants again. See that chicken down there? That's my Villa Saturday. Watch it run.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Dreamland? We’re 3 points off t10 and our next fixtures are Everton (A), Palace (H), West Ham (A), Bournemouth (H), Chelsea (A), Forest (H). Obviously “all games are hard games”, but we could very feasibly get 12 points from those and be in the top half.

And we could feasibly get 3. How did we get on against Bournemouth, Leeds, Leicester and West Ham this season? 

We’re a below average PL team and a bad run of luck/form could see us in a bit of trouble. 

• Like 1

7 points off 8th, 8 points off 18th, 7 points off 17th. You can choose to be glass half full and look up or glass half empty and look down. I have seen enough under Emery to suggest that we should be very much glass half full and be hopeful of at the very least finishing no worse than where we currently stand. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

7 points off 8th, 8 points off 18th, 7 points off 17th. You can choose to be glass half full and look up or glass half empty and look down. I have seen enough under Emery to suggest that we should be very much glass half full and be hopeful of at the very least finishing no worse than where we currently stand. 

Leicester will finish above us, as will Wolves and maybe Palace. I can see another 14th place finish. Had Emery been in charge from the start of the season, I think we could have pushed towards a 10th/11th place finish. But that’s your lot. Our players aren’t good enough to finish higher. 

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

And we could feasibly get 3. How did we get on against Bournemouth, Leeds, Leicester and West Ham this season? 

We’re a below average PL team and a bad run of luck/form could see us in a bit of trouble. 

Of course we could. You think we’ll get 3 points from our next 6 then do you?

There’s a huge difference between us at the start of the season (Bournemouth, West Ham) and us now (Leeds, Leicester). First two were weak defeats, second two were a victory and a game which we dominated yet contrived to lose.

We’ve beaten Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton and been unlucky to lose against Arsenal. Outside of the Man City performance (which was poor), we’ve been decent to very good in every game since Emery has come in.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Of course we could. You think we’ll get 3 points from our next 6 then do you?

There’s a huge difference between us at the start of the season (Bournemouth, West Ham) and us now (Leeds, Leicester). First two were weak defeats, second two were a victory and a game which we dominated yet contrived to lose.

We’ve beaten Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton and been unlucky to lose against Arsenal. Outside of the Man City performance (which was poor), we’ve been decent to very good in every game since Emery has come in.

Let’s see who’s right in a few weeks time. We could easily have lost the Spurs game as we were poor first half and we weren’t unlucky to lose today, they were just better than us. 

We haven’t been decent in every game either. We were poor against Wolves, Leeds and Leicester. Without question. 

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Leicester will finish above us, as will Wolves and maybe Palace. I can see another 14th place finish. Had Emery been in charge from the start of the season, I think we could have pushed towards a 10th/11th place finish. But that’s your lot. Our players aren’t good enough to finish higher. 

JovialHonoredAnglerfish-size_restricted.

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Can't we set up a mid table battle thread in preparation for the Palace game?  That is really the big moment, the fight for 11th spot.  Who cares about the title race or the relegation battle.

There already is one in essence. However it hasn’t got the ambitious sex appeal for the optimists that populate the European thread and equally it doesn’t exude the required brooding bleak romanticism of Edgar Allan Poe that this relegation thread does for the pessimists.

Here it is, in all it’s <shrug shoulders, yeah whatever> glory.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Let’s see who’s right in a few weeks time. We could easily have lost the Spurs game as we were poor first half and we weren’t unlucky to lose today, they were just better than us. 

We haven’t been decent in every game either. We were poor against Wolves, Leeds and Leicester. Without question. 

You didn’t answer though - you think we’re getting 3 points from the next 6?

Edit: also, what? We were good against Leicester! I mean… unless you’re saying poor because of gifting them goals? But it was a good performance otherwise. Comfortably the better side. 

Edited by bobzy

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You didn’t answer though - you think we’re getting 3 points from the next 6?

Edit: also, what? We were good against Leicester! I mean… unless you’re saying poor because of gifting them goals? But it was a good performance otherwise. Comfortably the better side. 

Yeh, maybe. Maybe we will get 3 from the next 6. I think it’s a possibility given how fragile we are. Unlikely, but a possibility yes. I don’t think we’ll go down, I’m just saying we’re nowhere near as good as people on this forum want to believe. We could very well be pulled into this relegation fight. 

Yes. We were poor because we gifted them goals. Generally, if you gift the opposition goals, it means you’re poor. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would have agreed about Wolves since they’ve looked better, but they lost at home to Bournemouth today.

Things stay the same: there are six big clubs. A couple of the others can sometimes outperform for a season only to fall down again (like West Ham this season). Clubs with 3-4 times higher revenue will always win in the end.

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Relegation might be a possibility after today. Maybe people are right, we just need to get to 40 points and hope for the best.

We were 17th under Gerrard, maybe we can just about not finish lower than that under a supposedly far superior manager. 

Thats great....we have been 11th for 3 weeks and nobody went above us while we played the 2 of the best teams in the league

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats great....we have been 11th for 3 weeks and nobody went above us while we played the 2 of the best teams in the league

Just need to get to 40 points quickly. The team just isn't very good.