Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/22 at 23:00

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’ve been critical of Gerrard but tonight you can’t be because it was a performance on the whole to be proud of against one of the top European teams.  Nobody would’ve argued if we had come away with at least a draw…their quality and the ref just nicked them the win.

Agreed. I've been critical of Gerrard, but these last couple of performances are promising. I personally would've kept the eleven from the weekend. 

• Like 1

Stevie G needs to start paying the refs off properly otherwise he’ll be outta here sooner than he thinks. 

John Moss you bellend!

Seriously though good performance just a mistake with sub imo Tim Iroegbunam should have come on.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Excellent performance ? Really ? - I don't recall the Liverpool keeper making a save.

I thought 1-2 flattered us tbh.

Apart from the Mane goal what chances did Liverpool create?  We had three excellent chances in the second half - Watkins messed the first up with a heavy touch that allowed the defender to get a block in, Ings messed the second up by trying to beat VVD rather than take an early shot and then Ings messed up the third with an awful touch that allowed their keeper to smother his shot.  And that is without the cross-shot that Allison parried straight past Carney - could just of easily have pushed that straight his chest.  I can remember a couple of free-kicks (off target) and a long range shot from Keita (also off target).

We certainly could, and perhaps should, have got something from that. Which I suppose is encouraging, considering who we were up against, but I’ve kind of had it with honourable defeats in these games. We need to somehow sort out the lapses and mistakes that make us, inevitably, walk away from a good performance with nothing over and over again. It probably requires a couple of very expensive signings in a few key positions. A big summer lies ahead of us. 

Douglas Luiz was very, very good as an 8, and should never have been moved out of that postition. Lucas Digne had an excellent game as well. Buendia showed once again why he really should be starting every game. 

But the big story from the game really needs to be Jon Moss’ refereeing. It was diabolical. Incompetent. Amateurish. Infuriating. A disgrace. Quite simply, it was an embarrasment to the league. The casual observer will probably say there were no outright scandals, but they need to look at his performance over 90 mins. He is clearly not in shape to follow the speed of the game, finding himself out of position, and very often in the way of attacks, because his range of movement is akin to that of a tortoise. He seems to take guesses instead of making decisions, and half of the time he isn’t even looking at the situation he’s supposed to referee, again because he can’t move. If I didn’t have a dog in the fight, I’d have probably laughed at the unbelievable incompetance of his performance, but honestly, what he delievered tonight was flat out disrespectful to paying, emotionally invested fans. We deserve better than an overweight ref who is frankly taking the p*ss with the utter rubbish he delievered today. Thank **** he’s retireing. 

• Like 2

Digne much improved. Can see the benefits of him if he plays like this. 

Luiz transformed further forward. He’s not a holding player and should never play there again. Give Tim or Marv the mins there for the rest of the season. 

Chuck coming on was odd at the time, he looks a player though, the way he moves and finds space. Needs experience and time….but with 30 odd mins left, felt odd today. 

ings…..if he could finish consistently we would have won today and v spurs. It’s the difference between a 30m striker and the 60 million four strikers that they have. Swap out forwards with theirs and we win that by 3 or 4. 

starting to think we might need to break up mings/ Konsa. And not just replacing one. Both are great on their day but they both have too many off days or mistakes overall. The composure at the other end was a marked difference at times. 

moss…..words fail me….but there was no absolute clanger / cheating pen  / ridiculous red etc. so only voted poor. I’m thinking with hindsight I was being generous! 

utv 

• Like 2

Did pretty well, had as many chances as them, just didn't take them, Ings in particular guilty there. Liverpool rode their luck a bit tbh, e.g. the Alisson slip up could easily have bounced differently or that late save fallen to Chuk to tap in. Though you know they always do have the players who can step up when they need a winner, if it wasn't Mane, it would've been Salah, or Diaz, or Jota..

Referee diabolical, if true he is retiring that is good news for my rage levels. Unfit for the job in every way. 

Gave Luiz MOTM, he was certainly standout on our side for first hour (their Luis was MOTM on their side, threatening whenever has ball at feet and made the winner). Buendia did v well when he came on. Digne was consistently good and Watkins continued upturn in form.

Downsides player-wise were several ropey moments from both CBs, distribution from Martinez, finishing from Ings. 

• Like 1

CB's x 2 a DM to replace Nakamba and replace McGinn. Konsa needs to shut his trap and concentrate on himself. Mings too slow in possession. Nakamba is shit. McGinn all arse no quality. Oh and Ings WTF! 

Buendia not starting - didn’t make sense. Nakamba starting didn’t make sense. Chuk coming on didn’t make sense. The referees decisions didn’t make sense. The fact we couldn’t hold the lead for more than three minutes didn’t make sense. Ings and his woeful finishing didn’t make sense. The fact we didn’t get a point didn’t make sense. Annoying game but we held our own all the above considered. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Buendia not starting - didn’t make sense. Nakamba starting didn’t make sense. Chuk coming on didn’t make sense. The referees decisions didn’t make sense. The fact we couldn’t hold the lead for more than three minutes didn’t make sense. Ings and his woeful finishing didn’t make sense. The fact we didn’t get a point didn’t make sense. Annoying game but we held our own all the above considered. 

I'm sorry but your just not making any sense

i'll get me coat

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

There wasn't a weakness in the diamond until the player at the base of it got removed and replaced by a number 8.

Gerrard made a mistake swapping Nakamba for Chuk. If Nakamba was blowing,  which he was, it should have been Tim or Chambers coming on for him.

If he wanted Chuk to have a platform, he should have removed McGinn (or Luiz, except he was the best player on the pitch at the time).

Gerrard's in game management was poor tonight, but he set us up very well to get at Liverpool, and but for a shit ref, we might have still got a point even with the poor subs.

We've come a long way with that performance compared with out other efforts against the top 6 this season,  and Gerrard has to get the credit for that.

Agree all of this.

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

There wasn't a weakness in the diamond until the player at the base of it got removed and replaced by a number 8.

Gerrard made a mistake swapping Nakamba for Chuk. If Nakamba was blowing,  which he was, it should have been Tim or Chambers coming on for him.

If he wanted Chuk to have a platform, he should have removed McGinn (or Luiz, except he was the best player on the pitch at the time).

Gerrard's in game management was poor tonight, but he set us up very well to get at Liverpool, and but for a shit ref, we might have still got a point even with the poor subs.

We've come a long way with that performance compared with out other efforts against the top 6 this season,  and Gerrard has to get the credit for that.

Good post, about bang on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Is the poll ends up anything other than staying 100% very poor I question the logic of VTers...

Screenshot_20220510-215627_Chrome.jpg

The constant comedy votes make the voting pointless

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Great post, agree with it all

We gave them a decent game which is what most of us hoped for as the minimum. On another day Ings buries one of those chances and we get a draw. It was a good performance from Villa but still let down by lapses in concentration, individual errors and bad decision making. The story of our footballing lives. Still, there’s positives we can take into next season. 

• Like 3

Â