Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/22 at 23:00

Well done stevie g to complaints from me yesterday. We made one of the best teams in the world work hard for that win. You could see how much that win meant to them.

The only disappointment for me was the performance of the defence. The cbs in particular were very poor most of the game

• Like 2

7 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

We gave them a decent game which is what most of us hoped for as the minimum. On another day Ings buries one of those chances and we get a draw. It was a good performance from Villa but still let down by lapses in concentration, individual errors and bad decision making. The story of our footballing lives. Still, there’s positives we can take into next season. 

The concentration is and has been the key for the last two years for me against the better sides especially at home where we are able to stay in the game even play fairly well but it seems what ever we do we come up a little bit short in the end. When you look back on it so often it’s just those split second moments where you see somebody not track a runner and against these top sides that’s all they need and it’s a goal and game over.

it’s so frustrating to be competitive but ultimately come up short every time 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Excellent performance ? Really ? - I don't recall the Liverpool keeper making a save.

I thought 1-2 flattered us tbh.

I think your memory might be the problem here..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same old result against them, but we can take heart from that performance and they really knew they had been in a proper game when they came off the field with the points. Looking forward to going toe to toe with them in the next few seasons after this one, and to winning a fair share of our games against them again (it's been a while:().

We now need to take the same level of performance and work rate into our final two home games of the season. Do that, rather than give "after the Lord Mayor's Show" type performances and we can still finish in the top half for the first time since 2010/11. UTV. :clap:

What’s happened to Konsa? 

Decent game, we battled and looked up for it, and carried a threat but despite Gerrard arriving 6 months ago we still don’t look a settled side but this was as close to it as I think we have. 

Carry that spirit and a few personnel tweaks and we are a decent outfit.

7 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Before we make konsa enemy no.1 let's just remember he has been excellent for 90% of his time with us and that this is his first real bad patch

Not forgotten. I still have faith in him. This season he's not been good though mostly.

Another villa v Liverpool tv match ruined by Jamie Carragher. It's like when they used to do fan cam. Can they not have neutral people scrutinizing the game?

Him shouting three times across about 90 seconds on commentary about Watkins being offside for the goal. We get it your a liverpool fan. Then with 20 mins to go he came out with, "villa will be hoping and praying that they get one last chance in this game". Very generous of you Jamie, thanks.

He ruined the 7-2 commentary too just talking about their bad defending, rather than our best ever performance.

We gave them a game, as a villa fan its all we demand and can see a future going forward with that passion and work rate finally rearing its head. The loss still hurts but we have travelled a long road to being able to compete and Gerrard is pointing us in the right direction, he was fuming at the decisions that went against us and that shows where his mind is right now. Keep the effort going to the season closes and we can look forward to a brighter season coming.

• Like 1

Great match silenced their fans until they got a second goal.   I don't believe in conspiracies around reffing matches but yesterday's performance by both John Moss and the Trinity side linesman made me start to think maybe there is some truth in things being rigged to make a last day of the season special.

Sitting just behind the dug out it was obvious Stevie G was furious with some of the calls made by the officials. 

I am wearing my Villa shirt with pride today in front of my mainly Liverpool supporting neighbors. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

I got wordle in 2 today - I think I had Jon moss's performance last night in my mind.

But incompetent has more than 5 letters. Back to the drawing board.

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Kinda learnt our lesson from Spurs who picked us off at will , Liverpool clearly better than us at game management , ball retention and paying off referees … but we had the better chances today and but for poor first touches we take the 3 points 

we sorta lost momentum when Chuck came on , not his fault as such but he’s clearly a long way off being a Prem league starter , no matter what his agent might be telling him 

Buendia looked lively again , he will be key for us next season …  

that referee performance should be investigated by the league , it wasn’t even subtle 

When you replace a defensive midfielder with an offensive midfielder, this is what can happen.

Its not a crticism of SG or CC......Its purely an observation to highlight the lack of Defensive midfielders in the squad.....roll on the summer.

but it was overall a much improved performance.

The referee was a source of gross irritation.

13 hours ago, a m ole said:

Chukwuemeka is a fantastic footballer but it was the wrong decision, Luiz was easily the best performer on the pitch and should have been kept in his position.

Iroebugnam was the right move for Nakamba.

Annoying.

I think Chambers would have been the right replacement for Marv......Tim is too inexperienced for such a big game.

Carney I suspect was in line with a bigger picture for SG, I have to accept that....but in terms of the game, I see your point.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Really pleased with tonight. The individual errors will always be there until we replace the individuals that keep on making them.

That's Gerrard's big job this summer.

In a nutshell.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Played really well. Very positive for next season. 

Buendia should have started though. But that's complete hindsight. 

I think that game despite some bumps in the road, showed what we have to look forward too.

much improved team and some really good signs.

• Like 2

Â