Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/22 at 23:00

14 hours ago, El Zen said:

We certainly could, and perhaps should, have got something from that. Which I suppose is encouraging, considering who we were up against, but I’ve kind of had it with honourable defeats in these games. We need to somehow sort out the lapses and mistakes that make us, inevitably, walk away from a good performance with nothing over and over again. It probably requires a couple of very expensive signings in a few key positions. A big summer lies ahead of us. 

Douglas Luiz was very, very good as an 8, and should never have been moved out of that postition. Lucas Digne had an excellent game as well. Buendia showed once again why he really should be starting every game. 

But the big story from the game really needs to be Jon Moss’ refereeing. It was diabolical. Incompetent. Amateurish. Infuriating. A disgrace. Quite simply, it was an embarrasment to the league. The casual observer will probably say there were no outright scandals, but they need to look at his performance over 90 mins. He is clearly not in shape to follow the speed of the game, finding himself out of position, and very often in the way of attacks, because his range of movement is akin to that of a tortoise. He seems to take guesses instead of making decisions, and half of the time he isn’t even looking at the situation he’s supposed to referee, again because he can’t move. If I didn’t have a dog in the fight, I’d have probably laughed at the unbelievable incompetance of his performance, but honestly, what he delievered tonight was flat out disrespectful to paying, emotionally invested fans. We deserve better than an overweight ref who is frankly taking the p*ss with the utter rubbish he delievered today. Thank **** he’s retireing. 

I have empathy with that, and its a danger we have to avoid getting in to....its so,so easy to accept defeats.

However, we are WIP and they are a developed side....its makes a huge difference.

We have a clear shortage of defensively competent/ experienced personnel in our squad and that is a difficult gap to bridge, when playing the sneaky 6.

We have some silky players, but not many disrupters or players that get after opponents.....I thought in the air, Matip and Van Dijk showed an aerial dominance to pumping balls back in to the middle, gaining crucial territory, thats what centre backs with stature offer, we only have one, and he is iffy in the air.

I think the summer, will paint a different picture, assuming we get who we want.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

His mistake was terrible, and negates his goal more or less. I agree he was very good when Nakamba was on.

He was at fault - It was a sloppy pass for sure, but we still had plenty of men behind the ball and Mings should have done a much better job in closing down the crosser and at least make an attempt to block the cross, of which he did neither.  Basic fundamentals of defending - get close enough to the player on the ball to prevent him from looking up and picking his pass/shot.  Block shots/block crosses.  Then Digne/Konsa leaving Mane unmarked in the box was the final nail.  That second goal wasn't just about the sloppy pass by Luiz. All around poor defending. 

1 minute ago, FLVillan said:

He was at fault - It was a sloppy pass for sure, but we still had plenty of men behind the ball and Mings should have done a much better job in closing down the crosser and at least make an attempt to block the cross, of which he did neither.  Basic fundamentals of defending - get close enough to the player on the ball to prevent him from looking up and picking his pass/shot.  Block shots/block crosses.  Then Digne/Konsa leaving Mane unmarked in the box was the final nail.  That second goal wasn't just about the sloppy pass by Luiz. All around poor defending. 

You're right.

18 hours ago, hippo said:

Ok I stand corrected. Allison made one save.

Thoughts Liverpool were streets ahead tbh.

Not sure how close you were to the pitch....but many of the Livepool players looked anything but comfortable, until Mane scored.

They knew they were in a game Hippo...... we just have to find a way of eliminating poor errors.

as for Liverpool in 2nd gear,as some have suggested, thats for the birds....they were rattled...It was just our customary invitation back in to the game, that saved their bacon.

Edited by TRO

14 hours ago, chappy said:

Also meant to say, **** off to everyone singing the Tory ‘sign on’ song, and to those by the Witton coaches chanting ‘we pay your benefits’. Embarrassing.

when you hear " stand up if you hate your boss".....which is a bit of a leveller, to that, albeit cringeworthy of the first order.

its there any wonder, when you hear this juvenile stuff?

However, its all better than "looking in dustbins for something to eat, in the liverpool slums" which has gladly died its welcome death.......Its certainly not a game for doo gooders, sadly.

Its a mans game......Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Positive singing is great......Negative singing is what it is.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Luiz MotM?

Did any of you notice who's fault their gema winner initially was?

Chuk for a poorly weighted touch back to Luiz

By the time it reaches him Thiago was only a yard or so away

Although in that situation Luiz could maybe have turned to protect the ball instead of still trying to go forward

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not sure how close you were to the pitch....but many of the Livepool players looked anything but comfortable, until Mane scored.

They knew they were in a game Hippo...... we just have to find a way of eliminating poor errors.

as for Liverpool in 2nd gear, thats for the birds....they were rattled...It was just our customary invitation back in to the game, that saved their bacon.

I don't recall saying Liverpool were in 2nd gear.

They looked a far superior team to us. Understandable given the players at their disposal and probably the the top coach in the world.

Sure we could have scrambled a point with a worldie or scramble. But I think you need more than that at this level.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

John moss was not bent or criminal.  Merely incompetent.  

Its very difficult to be incompetent on one side only.

9 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Lots of talk today from neutrals/sports media saying the refereeing was very dodgy indeed. Never gets looked into, though, does it? 

Been going on for years with Liverpool mate. It isn't about to change now .

3 hours ago, hippo said:

I don't recall saying Liverpool were in 2nd gear.

They looked a far superior team to us. Understandable given the players at their disposal and probably the the top coach in the world.

Sure we could have scrambled a point with a worldie or scramble. But I think you need more than that at this level.

I didn't say you did, it was mentioned, by someone else.

but Hippo, we have gaps in our squad, they don't.......it makes a huge difference playing the top teams.

We all mostly agree , we needa quality CDM......That can't be just dismissed as easily as it is ,at times.

We go in to these games with an imbalance, clinging to youth players, returning from injury players, or free signings.....lets give ourselves just a tad of slack here.

A Declan Rice in our team last night and we would have got a result.....particularly after Marv went off, who despite a few lapses in his passing , was a breath of fresh air.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

I didn't say you did.

but Hippo, we have gaps in our squad, they don't.......it makes a huge difference playing the top teams.

We all mostly agree , we needa quality CDM......That can't be just dismissed as easily as it is ,at times.

We go in to these games with an imbalance, clinging to youth players, returning from injury players, or free signings.....lets give ourselves just a tad of slack here.

A Declan Rice in our team last night and we would have got a result.....particularly after Marv went off, who despite a few lapses in his passing , was a breath of fresh air.

Im sure I recall you saying for a few weeks that Nkamba was our missing DM link ?

Now we need  Declan rice.

We aren't ever going to be buying players like that. Keeps your love child in excuses though.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Got to admit, I think Klopp was trying to prove a point as well, slight hints of Billy big bollox ( As is his right to do )

As i said, i'm sure i heard him say in his post match that he " Saw the weakness in the diamond we play " or something like that.

Then obviously went on to moan about the decisions.

Let's be real though, Klopp is Klopp, and Liverpool are Liverpool they can bring on a Thiago and a Salah etc.

Gerrard is a learning Manager, but I like his attitude.

but Klopps constantly in the ear of the fourth official is tedious and should be stopped.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

Another villa v Liverpool tv match ruined by Jamie Carragher. It's like when they used to do fan cam. Can they not have neutral people scrutinizing the game?

Him shouting three times across about 90 seconds on commentary about Watkins being offside for the goal. We get it your a liverpool fan. Then with 20 mins to go he came out with, "villa will be hoping and praying that they get one last chance in this game". Very generous of you Jamie, thanks.

He ruined the 7-2 commentary too just talking about their bad defending, rather than our best ever performance.

Its not just him.....They have Jamie Redknapp weighing in, too, with Dion Dublin, failing to be partisan and just joining in like a lemming.....with Kelly (Dalglish) Coates asking the questions.....could it have been more loaded?

We was at Home, The commentary suggested we wasn't even there.

Its actually embarrassing, viewing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hippo said:

I didn't Marv was fit enough to start. He gave the ball away so many times. I'm not a massive Sanson fan - but thought he would have been a better option.

Sanson, doesn't compare for the "getting after opponents" and "getting your foot in"......He is another, not defensive savvy.

Sure Marv's passing is suspect, but we haven't got the complete CDM ,yet.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Im sure I recall you saying for a few weeks that Nkamba was our missing DM link ?

Now we need  Declan rice.

We aren't ever going to be buying players like that. Keeps your love child in excuses though.

Cheap shot there Hippo.....I could saying losing, keeps your futile narrative alive, but I won't.😀

Nakamba for me is better playing CDM than No 8's playing there........but neither is ideal....particularly when he is not match fit, its kinda hobsons choice....Thats what happens with an imbalanced squad.

Until we get the player we need...... we will be having these needless conversations, over and over again.

What are you going to turn to, when he builds a good side?

Ps I have been banging the drum for the virtues of Declan Rice or his like for ages, keep up.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

DG grabbed the ball before the whistle went, which you can't do. So it was handball.

judging by the poor officiating, its all he could put his trust in.

Technically, you are right......but being right, also lends itself to dismissing the poor decision in the first place....which I am sure you are not trying to do.

If I was Douglas Luiz, I would have ate it.

We are humans, we only have so much composure with injustice.

Â