Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/22 at 23:00

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Trying to figure out if me being disappointed we haven't gotten anything from this is a good or bad sign.

I think there is some clear reasons why, we didn't get anything......SG is right, just moments of errors.

but the general play has some really good signs.....still a way to go, to rule out those errors, but the future looks bright to me.

I thought Marv (not fully match fit), showed what a quality CDM could add to this team(when he has limitations).....but, He was really good while he was on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The chuck sub didnt cost us.

Mings being shit cost us

Leaving mane completely open xoat us

Ings bottling it with his finishing cost us

but he wasn't shit.....he made a costly error, and our composure went in the moment...his overall game was ok'ish....albeit drifts out of the middle too much.

There was a clear, difference, when Marv went off......Hence the CDM conversations we have had for yonks....and one where SG is determined to fix.

We are "WIP" they are a well developed ( over seasons) well oiled machine....They are good at punishing errors.

That was a good performance from us and one to be expecting a bright future, from.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Shame we couldn't hold onto our lead for longer than 1 minute

I think that was key to this game.......Those moments where we can't seem to stem the tide, cost us.

I kinda thought after that chaos in the box for that goal, staying in the game would be our best chance, to me despite the good overall performance, the result had a certain inevitabilty about it....thats not a criticism, more an observation.

14 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

The Chuk sub wasn’t right. Or at least it was too early.

I think there was more to that than meets the eye.....but I get your point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that was key to this game.......Those moments where we can't seem to stem the tide, cost us.

I kinda thought after that chaos in the box for that goal, staying in the game would be our best chance, to me despite the good overall performance, the result had a certain inevitabilty about it....thats not a criticism, more an observation.

Yeah, it was bad to concede so quickly after we scored. But we stayed in the game and kept fighting and creating chances. They then took the lead and we still came back and created chances. There is belief there and that's a big positive. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

but he wasn't shit.....he made a costly error, and our composure went in the moment...his overall game was ok'ish....albeit drifts out of the middle too much.

There was a clear, difference, when Marv went off......Hence the CDM conversations we have had for yonks....and one where SG is determined to fix.

We are "WIP" they are a well developed ( over seasons) well oiled machine....They are good at punishing errors.

That was a good performance form us and one to be expecting a bright future, from.

I thought both goals were his fault. The 2nd was him and konsa as both shouldnt be allowing a quality player like mane completely free header in the box.

Mings has made errors like this all season. Good player but will never be top quality for me

14 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Can’t fault the performance overall. Taking Nakamba off and moving Dougie wasn’t smart. Konsa still a liability. Luiz brilliant first 60 minutes, Digne class.

Marv was cooked....asked to come off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Marv was cooked....asked to come off.

I didn't Marv was fit enough to start. He gave the ball away so many times. I'm not a massive Sanson fan - but thought he would have been a better option.

The winners in life and sport  are often those who make the fewest unnecessary errors and get the basics right 99.9% of the time.  That ain’t us.  Too many players come armed with a lack of concentration, ice skates instead of studded boots,  and a cache of bollocks ready to drop, which they do all too frequently, whether it’s a poor final ball, missing sitters or defensive cock ups.  As in the first half against Spurs we created multiple promising positions only to fail to finish or find a decent final ball. It’s frustrating.

Gerrard - Strange and wrong  decision to sub Nakamba and drop Luiz back to DM.  Probably cost us the game.  Tactically quite good including getting us to play some longer balls over their high line for Ings and Watkins to run onto.  However I still hate the keeping it narrow, lack of width thing he insists on, and we really need to ditch the playing it out from the back all the time until we have some defenders who are better on the ball.  

Referee – Is there a minus score, a sub-Mike Dean level? I hadn’t realised it was Jon Moss until after the first few shocking decisions and then the penny dropped.  The man who gave Man City an offside goal because he didn’t know the laws of the game, and then gave them a penalty when the ball was blasted at Cash’s arm from about a yard, having previously denied us a blatant handball pen against Arsenal away when the ball had travelled 10 yards or more.  Never get anything out of him and tonight was no different but while he perhaps didn’t directly affect the result, he did probably manage to plumb new depths in terms of bias and incompetence.  Achieved the rare feat of being slagged off by name by the crowd.

Crowd – did we really have to go back to the 80s and sing signing on songs? So out of touch and pathetic.  Marginally offset by calling out Jon Moss by name. 

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Luiz MotM?

Did any of you notice who's fault their gema winner initially was?

Yes. His lapse in concentration when he was moved to a different position doesn't negate the fact he was absolutely excellent before that moment and had scored our only goal. 

9 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

DG grabbed the ball before the whistle went, which you can't do. So it was handball.

Well generally when your opponent has raked his studs down your shin and stamped on your foot, from behind, with the referee five yards away and you fall to the floor a free-kick is the outcome.  Stevie Wonder would have given a free-kick to Dougie. 

14 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Excellent performance and despite the fat bastard in black, Villa created enough chances to earn a draw.

I don't think anyone had a bad game.

Don't be so complimentary.

14 hours ago, allani said:

Exactly.  Central midfield has been our issue for too long.  I'm hoping that this finally gets resolved this summer.  We've played pretty well when Nakamba has been in the side - so imagine how good we could be with someone twice as good (and who can actually pass the ball) playing in that position.  Plus a central defender who inspires confidence.  And a striker who doesn't have the touch of a sledgehammer. 

These adjustments will have a profound impact on the team, if recruited well.imo

I think a good CDM will have a "knock on" effect to other players in the team,too....I think, We are still playing with an certain edginess of worrying about behind them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We had Chambers who played there at the weekend. We also have Sanson who's more defensively minded than Chuk. As much as I love what he's doing for him and the valuable experience he's getting, I think it was the wrong call. 

Edit: Completely forgot about Iroegbunam as well. 

I think you are right.

but maybe there was a bigger picture here?......I am not saying we should forfeit games for the development of a youth player.....but maybe it was something SG felt he had to do to help secure CC's future with us.

Managers do see bigger pictures than us, and I am not trying to give SG a free pass, just being devils advocate.....but if CC signs and goes on to be a top player for us, we could look back and say it was worth it.

but hey! Thats me just trying to see a bigger picture.

I can't honestly see a guy of SG's calibre, bringing off a DM and relacing him with an AM without a good reason.

34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yes. His lapse in concentration when he was moved to a different position doesn't negate the fact he was absolutely excellent before that moment and had scored our only goal. 

His mistake was terrible, and negates his goal more or less. I agree he was very good when Nakamba was on.

Â