Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/22 at 23:00

A good game, good atmosphere and almost a great night. Plenty of positives to build on.

At the start of the night I was just looking for a good performance and for us to be competitive. We certainly fulfilled that brief.

Silly mistakes, wasted opportunities and missed chances cost us dear. It shows the very fine margins at this level.

I thought Marvellous did well tonight breaking up play. If only he could be more productive with the ball, he would be a hell of a player. It shows what we do need in midfield. Luiz & SJM are much better further up the pitch and I especially like McGinn on the left side of the pitch.

John Moss .............. nuff said. Enjoy your retirement, you will not be missed at Villa Park

Same again in the next three games and we can end a mixed season on a positive note!.

UTV.

• Like 4

The ref was (As is always the case against the scummy 6) biased beyond belief. One rule for them, another for us for identical challenges all the way through the game.

Thought we applied ourselves well but the usual issues reared their heads again, as in giving the ball away far too often, defensive awkward moments and rubbish finishing.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

It's also amazing seeing a woman in the disabled section with a walking stick being used to prop her up and then going wild flailing it around in the air whilst dancing when they scored 🤨

Cant trust them old uns mate. Give em have a chance and they will be dancing.

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 3

Marvelous off for Carney. What on earth was the manager thinking? Certainly not how can we keep hold of the draw that’s for sure. Taking off the defensive midfielder for an 18 year old lazy attacking midfielder, yes fine 3-0 up vs Burnley, at 1-1 vs a top class side like Liverpool… nonsensical 

Overall decent performance though

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I did think he got schooled by Klopp tbh. Both times he twisted and then Klopp did in turn. Second Chuk came on then 1 minute later Klopp brought Thiago I thought that's bad news.

Got to admit, I think Klopp was trying to prove a point as well, slight hints of Billy big bollox ( As is his right to do )

As i said, i'm sure i heard him say in his post match that he " Saw the weakness in the diamond we play " or something like that.

Then obviously went on to moan about the decisions.

Let's be real though, Klopp is Klopp, and Liverpool are Liverpool they can bring on a Thiago and a Salah etc.

Gerrard is a learning Manager, but I like his attitude.

• Like 1

Plenty of pluck but ultimately another defeat at home to one of the top sides.  We have only beaten Brighton at home of the teams in the top half, with Palace coming up next.

On another day maybe could have got a point. Liverpool rested a few players but still a top side. Hardly heard a squeek from the Liverpool fans all evening. 

I thought Nakamba made everything more solid (sorry Ramsey) and Luiz had a good game. Gerrard has to start Buendia on Sunday surely. We should aim to get 2 wins in our final 2 home games which will get us to 6 points from last season total which I think given all the  problems  faced a decent season.

Oh the ref was a f**kin disgrace. Night all.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Villa Park on a warm evening under lights, with a terrible referee and a loud away section makes for a great atmosphere, I thought it was fabulous tonight, the old place sounded fantastic when there was the to and fro between both sets of fans - rumours of the death of atmosphere at Villa Park are premature on this showing. 

I feel so jealous of you all. Sounds like a dream. I need to figure out a way to get there in this fall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leighavfc said:

It's also amazing seeing a woman in the disabled section with a walking stick being used to prop her up and then going wild flailing it around in the air whilst dancing when they scored 🤨

Before you phone the social, remember, it's amazing what a bit of adrenaline can do.

solid performance tonight and managed to make the last train at 22:22 from New street back home which was good, and I don't leave early either so was happy about this :) we play like that against palace on sunday and we win, simple as. Thought Liverpool were way below their best tonight but their second goal kind of came out of nowhere, at least it seemed like that at the ground. Looking at it on tv it was a great cross though. Mcginn put another great ball in with his left foot, we seem to be creating chances a lot more regularly now.

Looking forward to the next 2 home games and hoping we can get a minimum of 2 wins out of 3 to have a nice finish to the season. Perhaps we can play kingmaker on the final game of the season away!?

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Klopp saying something like he saw the weakness is the Diamond that we play.

Was that a dig? lol

Also moaning about the offside.

I can see him wanting to give us tactical advice so we beat City for him.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Mings has so many lapses though.

Even tonight loads of his "clearances" never found touch, he tripped over his own feet multiple times, hospital passes to his teammates, was often 10 yards deeper than the rest of the team, etc.

Hes supposed to be the leader marshalling that defence but half the time it's in disarray.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees it.  Couple of people actually said Konsa was poor tonight, which couldn't be further from the truth.  I thought he had a good game.  But Mings was culpable on both their goals.  The first, who knows what he was trying to do as it fell to his feet.  Control it?  The ball should have gone fifty yards up the pitch or into Row Z of the Trinity.  On the second, Luiz gave it away but then, as usual, Mings didn't close down the attacker properly and gave him the extra yard of space he needed to look up and pick a cross.  No attempt to block it either.  He's just not got a proper defender's instinct.  Time and time again he gives opponents too much time and space.  And this habit of dropping 5-10 yards behind everyone else is suicidal.  I get the fact that he's "vocal" but he's only any good as a defender when the game is in front of him and there's no 1v1 pressure.  

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Before we make konsa enemy no.1 let's just remember he has been excellent for 90% of his time with us and that this is his first real bad patch

He had a decent game tonight.  But apparently there are some who have just decided he's crap now..... I don't understand how he could be singled out for criticism tonight after the defensive display from Mings..... 

Part of me feels bringing Chuk on was more for the bigger picture of the football club then trying to stop Liverpool play.

Give the kid minutes and trust against one of the best teams in the World… it’s going to make him consider staying, also imagine that’s why they signed Caleb too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Lost that game due to the first sub and the fact Martinez, Konsa & Mings, time and again, slow down any chance of a counter attack. 

As for the ref, blow me, 

Does this mean you enjoyed the refs performance and would like a celebration?

8 hours ago, penguin said:

Why are the “top teams” reffed on a different scale to everyone else? So bored of it.

Any kind of shoulder or physical challenge against them and it’s a foul but they can get away with borderline ones all day. Obviously they have more quality on the pitch but your playing against this constantly also.

Look forward to big tie Champions League games often as the refs, on the whole, seem to let the game flow equally and you also have the quality.

Anyway rant as old as time over, certainly held our own and deserved a point.

Simple answer to that. the world is corrupt at almost every level and sport is no different. Big clubs or maybe all clubs lobby the refs association about things that happen but the big clubs are the ones with the power so get listened too. 

political point here but remember without corruption the wouldn’t be many conservatives wanting to be MP’s

Â