vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

100%. I think he made the right changes today and hopefully will want to prioritise Bailey and Buendia over Coutinho - unless he has a way to getting them all on the pitch together.

I dont see it happening, it will be Coutinho every week and maybe plus one of Bailey/Buendia

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Very much a continuation of last season, IMO. He had that run of what, 6-7 games when he first joined us, since then he's been underwhelming more often than not.

Yes, I honestly think our undoing has been the persistence of playing Coutinho, McGinn and Ramsey pretty much constantly when all available, couplet with both Watkkns/Ings up front. 

We've got much better combinations and Gerrard is going to have to learn to drop some of his favourites. 

• Like 3

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah we should give the first half criticism, but also give him credit for changing the game.

I REALLY hope he takes note of his own changes in the second half and actually starts the players on merit, not reputation, sentiment or seniority.

Agree completely on both counts. I think the personal relationship he has with Coutinho makes that a little bit tricky, though - and I should clarify that that's not a Gerrard criticism, as it can happen to any young manager in a similar situation.

• Like 2

If we actually play a normal system and Gerrard accepts that the narrow overlap doesn't work that well for the type or quality of player we have then we look decent. When the system was one up top and we looked for width intensity and a couple wingers on the pitch we looked totally different.

I hope Gerrard doesn't have an overly stubborn attitude and will adapt tactics accordingly. the two up top 4132 thing, I just don't like it

Edited by Villarcana

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m not going to take too much away from a friendly, but it does feel like we only have a decent 45 minutes in us still.

Hopefully getting the selection right from the beginning will change this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah we should give the first half criticism, but also give him credit for changing the game.

I REALLY hope he takes note of his own changes in the second half and actually starts the players on merit, not reputation, sentiment or seniority.

Genuine Q. Do you think he will? 

I don't. My reasoning for this is he's come back to it AGAIN after the end of the season when we had relegation form.

It's very disheartening.

• Like 3

Bailey ( and or ) Traore must play for the simple reason that when we play 2 up front we sacrifice natural width on the right wing. Everything then goes through Digne, we become terribly lopsided, telegraphed and easy to defend against. 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Something like this maybe.

a175d42276c8e90d0e72c4dd413d0c79.png

And tbqh with that amount of creativity around him, the striker is interchangeable. Maybe even give mini-Tevez a shot. Problem is who gets left out. McGinn & Ramsey on the bench seems unlikely.

That’s the formation I’d be picking to get the best out of this squad. It’s more akin to the Dean Smith way of playing, but with much better players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

And tbqh with that amount of creativity around him, the striker is interchangeable. Maybe even give mini-Tevez a shot. Problem is who gets left out. McGinn & Ramsey on the bench seems unlikely.

I hope Coutinho doesn't become player we have to play because of his big name and I don't see him and Buendia working together and I prefer Emi overall game. Dunno how Gerrard will make it work but hopeful

1 minute ago, BOF said:

In my mind you have to sacrifice one of those 3, Bailey , Coutinho or Beundia for another midfielder. Keep the two you have wide and play the extra midfielder where you have Coutinho. 

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Stood in the cold with my kids waiting for the team to come out, will be mega disappointed if they don’t!

Apparently the team has a flight to catch in about an hour mate so your wait might be in vain unfortunately. 

Â