vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

That first half was horrific and a representation of what we all were frustrated with last season.

Second half much better - I am going to have to watch it back to see if there were any formation changes (were Luiz and TIm in front of the back 4?) or just personnel. 

9 hours ago, Farlz said:

First half a shambles. Second half much better. 

It was nothing to do with having a meltdown over a pre season game, we could have lost today and I wouldn't have battered an eyelid. What annoyed me is seeing the exact same persistent mistakes that we all saw last season, whether that's lineup or just a general gameplan. OBE summed it up perfectly if Gerrard thought that was his strongest team (going by pre match comments, you'd assume so) then that's a big problem. 

Hopefully we'll see the likes of Bailey, Buendia and Luiz starting going forward but if I'm completely honest, I very highly doubt this will be the case and we'll be back asking these same questions yet again. 

I want to see a ruthless SG this year....  we have a deep enough squad for him to be like that...  if you don't put it all out there on the pitch, and you're not performing, you're not starting.  Simple as that... doesn't matter who you are.  Internal competition will help push us forward.

38 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

That first half was horrific and a representation of what we all were frustrated with last season.

Second half much better - I am going to have to watch it back to see if there were any formation changes (were Luiz and TIm in front of the back 4?) or just personnel. 

Found the shape interesting at times, was quite asymmetrical for a period with Bailey wide right, Watkins as a striker but Buendia as a 10 with McGinn covering slightly wider on the left (where for what it's  worth I think he looks a lot better on his more natural side than when he plays RCM). Tim sitting and Luiz more of an 8 with more license to roam and link things up.

On 22/07/2022 at 16:27, Villa_Stateside said:

Can you confirm Purslow said we had 3 million fans in Australia?

Yep he did 👍

He also said we're aiming to finish in the top 7 this season.

Saw Ashley Preece the next day at the kit launch and he said gerrard didn't like that at all. Had words apparently.

Stevie G walked away with a nice 2mill pay check to do the evening gig! Nice work if you can get it!

Edited by villan_007

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I still don't think Coutinho is a problem......I think allowing opponents to nullify him , might be.

He is a creator......we have to protect him, but have we got the players to do that?.....we need another top player to partner Kamara.

Iroegbunam?

I just watched the highlights on AVTV, wow, that is such a brilliant goal from Bailey!!! That is one of the very best kinds of goal, where the player picks the ball up very near the halfway line and just runs with it all the way to just outside the penalty box and then shoots so accurately into one of the corners. They don't happen that often so it's great when we score a goal like that! 🤩

• Like 3

Great game in Perth.They were definately the better team in the first half,but the play was mostly back and forewards ( like a game of tennis ) In the second half though we were all over them,like a rash.Instead of back and forewards,it was us,us,us,them,us,us,us,us,them and so on.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, baldivisvilla said:

And ex pat Australian contingency 😊

When visiting my bro in Perth in 2012, I went to a Glory vs Melbourne Heart game. Loads of ex pats, judging by the various English shirts as well as the Perth Glory fans.....but the songs/chants...it was like going back to the 80s.....goalkeeper kicks ("...ooooh you're shit aaaaah !").....opposition player is fouled ("SHE fell over,  SHE fell over !") along with a few others that now escape my memory. 

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

When visiting my bro in Perth in 2012, I went to a Glory vs Melbourne Heart game. Loads of ex pats, judging by the various English shirts as well as the Perth Glory fans.....but the songs/chants...it was like going back to the 80s.....goalkeeper kicks ("...ooooh you're shit aaaaah !").....opposition player is fouled ("SHE fell over,  SHE fell over !") along with a few others that now escape my memory. 

Think the club was genuinly suprised by the amount and passion of the support out here. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, baldivisvilla said:

Think the club was genuinly suprised by the amount and passion of the support out here. 

Nah, the club knows we have 3 million Villa fans in Australia! 😂

Purslow was probably disappointed that only 40,000 turned up! 

• Haha 1

On 25/07/2022 at 06:02, Xela said:

I think we've had a very good pre-season, but what do I know! 

It actually concerns me a little that because we've had a decent pre-season expectations will be to high! Manure were much the better side first half Saturday.

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

It actually concerns me a little that because we've had a decent pre-season expectations will be to high! Manure were much the better side first half Saturday.

And much the worst side in the second half. 

Â