vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

Preseason is about learning. We learned somet hings so, great on that front. But PLEASE act on it.

McGinn is not good enough to start. Nowhere near. There are at least 4 better players we already have in that position. If we can find a buyer, great. But he seems to have to start every game. Stop it.

Watkins and Ings should now be binned. It isn't working. One or the other, or better still, a new player.

Buendia should play regardless, and is a more credible CM than Coutinho. 

I think KKH might be better than Cash, and if not, he will be very soon.

I'm encouraged that we made changes and improved rather than the other way around, but we're close to the season now. Chop chop.

Oh, and we still need a couple of players 

• Like 2

I think a big thing is the ability of our CMs to drive forward with the ball. Sanson did that really well in the second half. Ramsey did that really well for the whole of last year. 

• Like 1

First half a shambles. Second half much better. 

It was nothing to do with having a meltdown over a pre season game, we could have lost today and I wouldn't have battered an eyelid. What annoyed me is seeing the exact same persistent mistakes that we all saw last season, whether that's lineup or just a general gameplan. OBE summed it up perfectly if Gerrard thought that was his strongest team (going by pre match comments, you'd assume so) then that's a big problem. 

Hopefully we'll see the likes of Bailey, Buendia and Luiz starting going forward but if I'm completely honest, I very highly doubt this will be the case and we'll be back asking these same questions yet again. 

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've got some good player. Gerrard has to get that attacking 3rd right. 

I think the problem is the lack of partnerships, understanding and link ups across the pitch. It feels like 11 individuals instead of one team at the moment. 

Didn’t watch the game today but seems like the overwhelming view is that we significantly improved in the second half when we switched to a 4-3-3. It’s only a friendly of course but trying shoehorn Ings and Watkins together cost us last season and if we still believe it’s our best option I fear it will continue to cost us. We have very decent attacking options but we need to get the best out of them

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

First half a shambles. Second half much better. 

It was nothing to do with having a meltdown over a pre season game, we could have lost today and I wouldn't have battered an eyelid. What annoyed me is seeing the exact same persistent mistakes that we all saw last season, whether that's lineup or just a general gameplan. OBE summed it up perfectly in the match thread if Gerrard thought that was his strongest team (going by pre match comments, you'd assume so) then that's a big problem. 

Hopefully we'll see the likes of Bailey, Buendia and Luiz starting going forward but if I'm completely honest, I very highly doubt this will be the case and we'll be back asking these same questions yet again. 

Nice fish pun!

...sorry. I agree with your conclusion.

• Haha 1

Just now, david-avfc said:

Didn’t watch the game today but seems like the overwhelming view is that we significantly improved in the second half when we switched to a 4-3-3. It’s only a friendly of course but trying shoehorn Ings and Watkins together cost us last season and if we still believe it’s our best option I fear it will continue to cost us. We have very decent attacking options but we need to get the best out of them

The difference between the 1st half and 2nd half was ridiculous. 

51 minutes ago, Osirus said:

I think that shows we have to start Luiz and Kamara together, with Bailey and Buendia in the front 3/4 

Striker still an issue in my eyes, i'd also be looking for another 8 who can alternate with Ramsey 

Archer

Coutinho.    Buendia.     Bailey 

Luiz.                   Kamara 

Digne.       Carlos.     Chambers.    Cash

This is the blue ribbon side.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Sanson looked decent, love the bloke hope he stays and gets some mins. 

He won't get minutes. The best thing for Morgan is to get far away from Aston Villa. 

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Genuinely like a completely different team second half. Take note SG - Buendia, Bailey and Konsa in your starting XI.

It was but I think a lot of that was because Man U stepped off the gas and some fatigue stepped in. Fair play to the second half team though.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was but I think a lot of that was because Man U stepped off the gas and some fatigue stepped in. Fair play to the second half team though.

Of course. Had nothing to do with getting Coutinho, Ings and Mings off the pitch.

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I genuinely worry his connection with Countinho will prevent this at times. 

Yeah it definitely will.

Buendia and Bailey should 100% be starting the season for us on form. But Coutinho will almost always start when fit regardless of form. That’s the deal with the devil when you say to a player of his profile “come here and you’ll play every week and rebuild your career…” - it’ll be a long season if we let it frustrate us too much. I’m just going to try to be happy we have those three in the squad not Trezeguet or Scott Sinclair.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Of course. Had nothing to do with getting Coutinho, Ings and Mings off the pitch.

Well yes that made a difference but Man U had clearly stepped off and weren't pressing anywhere near as much. If you couldn’t see that then I can’t help you.

• Like 1

Â