vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

At this rate, I’d be tempted to drop both Watkins and Ings and force them to fight for a a single spot in the side or even on the bench. No form whatsoever.

Maybe that would force or bring out the best in at least one of them… maybe a wake up call of some kind… I don’t know, not necessarily blaming them but it just hasn’t worked out.

And can we please STOP playing them together?! Sick of it. It only weakens us in midfield and makes us weaker in possession, almost like playing with 9/10 men at times and decreases the creativity of the side. They don’t even bloody score regularly!

It’s just stupid for Buendia not to be in this side. We shouldn’t be playing both JJ and McGinn in the same side either - it doesn’t help us in possession. Just look at the difference in that second half. I want a new CM or even a DM who is capable as a CM but Luiz is more of a help to Kamara than the pair of them. 

The strikers have both been a problem for us since we signed Ings imo and it just hasn’t worked out. So frustrating.

Sad to see the decline of Watkins when he was brilliant in his first season too.

Ings is slow, sluggish and past his peak. Despite the ability, he’s just been a waste of money so far imo…

Just imagine Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey supporting a single striker.

Tempted to try Bailey at CF too or just give Archer a few games…

To sign a new striker, we need to sell. But I also don’t see much attainable, higher quality out there. That’s a job for the scouts…

Some bold suggestions too.

It is sad to see Watkins struggle for goals. Honestly I think, through overcoaching or some notion he has, he's become one of those strikers who has prioritized his upper body strength and ability to bring others into the game, over his own goalscoring.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well yes that made a difference but Man U had clearly stepped off and weren't pressing anywhere near as much. If you couldn’t see that then I can’t help you.

you are right they did stop pressing......and pressing usually negates anything we try to do.

However, it was their choice to stop or they run our of energy, because its hard to do for 90+ minutes.

We was much better second half, with some encouraging individual perfromances.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

It is sad to see Watkins struggle for goals. Honestly I think, through overcoaching or some notion he has, he's become one of those strikers who has prioritized his upper body strength and ability to bring others into the game, over his own goalscoring.

He does look a worry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villarcana said:

If we actually play a normal system and Gerrard accepts that the narrow overlap doesn't work that well for the type or quality of player we have then we look decent. When the system was one up top and we looked for width intensity and a couple wingers on the pitch we looked totally different.

I hope Gerrard doesn't have an overly stubborn attitude and will adapt tactics accordingly. the two up top 4132 thing, I just don't like it

2 up top is fine.....if the 2 up top are effective, and they clearly are not.....They simply don't trouble defenders, never mind not score goals.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Something like this maybe.

a175d42276c8e90d0e72c4dd413d0c79.png

And tbqh with that amount of creativity around him, the striker is interchangeable. Maybe even give mini-Tevez a shot. Problem is who gets left out. McGinn & Ramsey on the bench seems unlikely.

not sure how Chambers can be left out, playing like he is.....and KKH is making a serious claim for that right back slot....its ok us talking about cover, he is making a real claim.

still think we need a presence and some domination in midfield....getting there, slowly though.....well second half, was more like it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, est1874 said:

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

He does look a worry.

Ings is as much of a worry imo…

we overpaid for a player who is clearly past his best. Not the player, based on reputation, that we thought we’d signed. Slow, sluggish and, worst of all, not clinical - so far anyway. We really need someone mobile upfront that can link with the likes of PC & EB and run onto through balls and finish with aplomb.

Seems like bold changes are required tbh because things aren’t improving, neither of our strikers is reliable or makes enough of an impact. Don’t link up well with our forwards and seem to lack skill and understanding.

We need a “shake up” it seems…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MCU said:

Just seen United's team, didn't realise how shit it still is. Van De Beek and Martial back playing who they were crucifying last season (along with the rest of the team tbh).

I thought Man U's goals were embarrassingly gifted.....a good defensive side wouldn't concede them.

In that first half it looked like we thought we had more time, that we actually had.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Cracking corner tbh, so hard to defend. 

nice to see a member of the team get a head to one.....it seems Chambers, does give the confidence, he will.

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What a paper hat, you are.

Yeah sorry about that..must have been something to do with listening to those 2 Representative for Wellingborough's on mutv for 90 mins..they boiled my piss.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Well I hope he doesn't follow the same career trajectory as Gabby in getting fat and going on the piss.

3 hours ago, WHY said:

Awful first half but proud of the lads 2nd half. They put a shift in, special mention for Bailey, he looks like the player he was before the injuries. The lad Kesler will have a good career, he’s a proper modern day player.  

I think Cash has a challenge on his hands....because KKH looks the business at both ends of the pitch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I enjoyed the game.

I feel that all of our players needed this game as a reminder of the quality of the season ahead.

I do not think we were awful, but was a match that has given SG plenty to think about.

I enjoyed the first half like having my finger nails removed, with pliers.

We made United look like world beaters.....and the second half showed clearly, they are not.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I enjoyed the game.

I feel that all of our players needed this game as a reminder of the quality of the season ahead.

I do not think we were awful, but was a match that has given SG plenty to think about.

He certainly does have plenty to think about - in a way it would be surprising if he didn’t given the history of how this squad came together.

I am interested and maybe a little excited to see what he makes of all this in the Rennes match.

(But I think I am in a minority on this site where many have already made up their minds.)

You have to laugh, listening to the news on talkSPORT when they did the sport section the bloke stated how United had a let a 2 goal lead slip when Callum Chambers equalised in the last minute after United taking the lead in the first half with goals from Jadon Sancho and an own goal from Matty cash. No mention at all of the goal of the game or scorer 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Cash has a challenge on his hands....because KKH looks the business at both ends of the pitch.

Absolutely and that’s the way it should be, it’s a long season and he will get minutes. I’m more than happy with Cash atm though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I thought Man U's goals were embarrassingly gifted.....a good defensive side wouldn't concede them.

In that first half it looked like we thought we had more time, that we actually had.

From the replays, the first goal was horrible ball watching from Digne...he was with his mark a few seconds before and completely lost him.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

not sure how Chambers can be left out, playing like he is.....and KKH is making a serious claim for that right back slot....its ok us talking about cover, he is making a real claim.

still think we need a presence and some domination in midfield....getting there, slowly though.....well second half, was more like it.

I agree, it’s difficult to choose between Chambers and Konsa, Chmabers hasn’t put a foot wrong and Konsa has really surprised me (other than the nearly own goal).

I think KKH is ready, I can see him having as much game time as Cash, he is that impressive, it seems that’s the end for Guilbert. 

I liked McGinns effort today, but every action looks a yellow card, it’s a worry. I feel we still need that dominant #8 that we currently don’t have. 

Very impressed by the application of our subs, they are all fighting for a place and that’s great. If Gerrard is honest he has some difficult decisions, competition is no use if you don’t reward performances, on todays showing we should see a shake up on Saturday.

• Like 1

Â