• Ramsey
    • Buendía
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Buendía 59)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/22 at 23:59

I think we have a problem with this system. Our players are too slow moving the ball. It's that simple imo. When we move and shift the all quickly we look great. When we piss around we look like a rabbit in the headlights. Especially playing out from the back. Our FBs are continually getting continually exposed when we are out of possession and consequently CBs also because they are being dragged out of position too far. 

I think Gerrards idea of possession based football is great but such a narrow system doesn't allow for that and we are simply not moving quick enough with or without the ball. We look like a counter attacking team if ever I saw one, because we can't hold the ball.  

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Given that we had two injuries and and then a red card, it's a good thing he didn't bring Ings in. Our chances of conceding a fourth would have increased if we had to play the end with only one centre back. Good to see Chambers make his debut, even if not under ideal circumstances and even if he didn't have too much to do.

Ollie should have been off long before the injuries and red card. Nowhere near good enough at the moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

James had a blinder for them, but should have got the yellow that Konsa got and thus should not have been on the pitch. 

McGinn looks a bit unfit and extra meatbally - looked to be jogging at times when Leeds were breaking forward. 

Love seeing Ramsey get his skates on every time Phil gets the ball. 

We lack genuine pace. Having the opportunity to bring Bailey on in that last 20 could have been handy. 

I really don’t know what to make of this match. Infuriating.

You need to defend 3-1 at home, basically.

Thought Ramsey and Coutinho were dynamite but I fear we may not see much more of Coutinho, hope his injury isn’t too bad.

Just glad we got away with a point after such an inept performance in defence.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TomC said:

You can't rule out that it will end that way, but it's waaaaay too early to say that. In my time, Paul McGrath will be hard to top, to say nothing of Sid Cowans, Pongo Waring, Billy Walker...

If you saw the last two you must be 125 years old 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, smg said:

Some of the reactions on here . I’m surprised we aren’t adrift at the bottom of the league given the number of our players who have been identified as total shit on here tonight. Come next season we will have splashed £50 million on the Messiah Bissouma, two poor games and he will be labelled as total shit and needs to be replaced in January etc etc.

I know you may not mean me, and I certainly would not say they were total shit. They are PL players after all, so that would be silly. What I said was that many of them will need to be upgraded if we are to make an impression in this league.

Just to be clear; that would be Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Luiz and Watkins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tactically naive tonight.  We tried to go toe to toe with Leeds at their own game -> Press & Counter...  Usually, Leeds can't score even with extra players crowding the box on the counter and Premier League quality opposition rip them to shreds on the break, but tonight Daniel James has the best performance of his career and our defense looked completely lost and unsure of how to defend against them.  

I like Gerrard so far, but this was arguably his first major tactical gaffe as manager.  If we didn't have Coutinho's brilliance, we would have lost that match.  

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I know we are all annoyed and pissed off, but fact is, Leeds were quite good tonight as well.

No, sorry, disagree.

They were their usual mess. Just like they always are.

That was absolute garbage from us. I'm totally deflated by that match.

No excuses I was told. That was crap.

All the worries I had about buying older players on monstrous contracts will be increased ten-fold if we're backing the wrong horse here.

If we have a summer like January just expenditure-wise, we have to be challenging for top 8 minimum.

We'll be bottom 8 playing like that.

• Like 1

We let Leeds dictate the tempo of the match tonight and it went against us. We were trying to rush everything instead of just taking the pace out the game and slowing it down a bit. I'm not sure how much of that is due to Gerrard's instructions or just the players. But it was unfortunate. 

I'm looking forward to how we look after he has a full pre-season with this squad. We have a bit of a midfield issue and I think Luiz needs to be replaced, even though I do quite like Luiz.

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Absolutely they were but how many of their players tonight would make our squad?

They were a significantly better team than us. We were mostly a collection of individuals. That's on the manager.

I hope we improve but I need more convincing that Gerrard's gonna be the real deal.

That's a load of b******s mate that we are a collection of individuals. The defence let us down and Watkin's being a shadow of himself. We cannot afford passengers if we want to go to the next level, Gerrard needs to manage this and make us more ruthless.

I saw a handful of issues tonight.

There wasn't enough zip and accuracy to our passing
Ming's is error prone
Watkins IMO needs dropping and Ings to start he is desperately out of form
We need to get Coutinho on the ball more
I felt McGinn and Luis were by passed a bit, but this usually isn't a problem.

• Like 1

Â