• Ramsey
    • Buendía
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Buendía 59)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/22 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't understand the Watkins bashing, he didn't do anything wrong. I didn't see a bad performance. He didn't have one good chance to score all game. However he stretched the Leeds defense well. Ings would'nt have had the legs to play in this game!

Konsa poor. Mings battled hard, unlucky more than anything else.

The midfield was played through too easily. really needed a tough tackling DM tonight. Buendia going off hurt our passing.

Chukwuemeka looks better as a central midfielder. Thinking a Chukky and Ramsey midfield duo if we can get a top DM would be great.

Mcginn generally anonymous. Though had his moments late on.

Coutinho and Buendia gives us so much creativity, Ramsey and Mcginn both should be getting goals from running beyond those two, but Ramsey is making the better runs, and is the better athlete. Think we need a player that offers us more control than Mcginn while still putting themself about and making tackles. Bissouma would most likely end up forcing Mcginn out of the team if he came in.

Cash was good, but Harrison seems to relish going up against him, they had a good battle.

A good performance generally. Marred by poor goals to given away.

Leeds were very good today, but i thought we were better. If we play like that every week we beat most teams.

Interestingly, I didn't think Cash had a bad game but all Leeds best moments came down his side.

Similarly, I didn't think Digne was great, but very little came down his side.

Weird one

10 minutes ago, TomC said:

You can't rule out that it will end that way, but it's waaaaay too early to say that. In my time, Paul McGrath will be hard to top, to say nothing of Sid Cowans, Pongo Waring, Billy Walker...

Pongo Waring was in your time Tom?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TomC said:

You can't rule out that it will end that way, but it's waaaaay too early to say that. In my time, Paul McGrath will be hard to top, to say nothing of Sid Cowans, Pongo Waring, Billy Walker...

Definitely, same here, God, Sid, Brian Little, Jack etc

I meant more like technically the best player we've ever had as opposed to whose done the best or had the best career here. This boy is a special talent. build this around him, Buendia and JJ and we won't be far away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Our midfield was poor apart from JJ and that didn't help.

However Leeds did their homework and overloaded us on the flanks and made us pay

Coutinho and Beuinda were very good first half 

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Two big deflections for their second and third. 

I genuinely don't think the defensive problems were down to the back four. A genuine number 6 I think would help us in that game. Generally though we've been worse against Leeds' super high tempo game. Ref was a joke, again.

Should have had 3 points really after playing really well to get 2 goals up but not the end of the world.

Still learning as a group, need to get as fit as the Leeds lads, we'll get better.

The defensive problems were down to the CBs. They need upgraded if we are to improve. It is not the first time they have let us down.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't understand the Watkins bashing, he didn't do anything wrong. I didn't see a bad performance. He didn't have one good chance to score all game. However he stretched the Leeds defense well. Ings would'nt have had the legs to play in this game!

Konsa poor. Mings battled hard, unlucky more than anything else.

The midfield was played through too easily. really needed a tough tackling DM tonight. Buendia going off hurt our passing.

Chukwuemeka looks better as a central midfielder. Thinking a Chukky and Ramsey midfield duo if we can get a top DM would be great.

Mcginn generally anonymous. Though had his moments late on.

Coutinho and Buendia gives us so much creativity, Ramsey and Mcginn both should be getting goals from running beyond those two, but Ramsey is making the better runs, and is the better athlete. Think we need a player that offers us more control than Mcginn while still putting themself about and making tackles. Bissouma would most likely end up forcing Mcginn out of the team if he came in.

Cash was good, but Harrison seems to relish going up against him, they had a good battle.

A good performance generally. Marred by poor goals to given away.

Leeds were very good today, but i thought we were better. If we play like that every week we beat most teams.

How can Mings be unlucky in losing a heading duel to Dan James ?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

We were class at times 3-1 up, just some lack of desire and poor defending cost us, hardly pub team, this stuff happens. Jude us after a full season under Gerrard 

Jude not lest ye be Juded

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So holding on for a point having been 3 1 at home to Leeds.... is a positive?

Nope not at all, not losing is a positive. We did it against united. It happens. 

I'm more worried about the mistakes and sloppy defending. I always try and find the positives

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Definitely, same here, God, Sid, Brian Little, Jack etc

I meant more like technically the best player we've ever had as opposed to whose done the best or had the best career here. This boy is a special talent. build this around him, Buendia and JJ and we won't be far away.

I know your posts well enough to know that you're historically informed...no worries.

He does have special talent, no questioning that!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think some people on here might view the game a bit differently after the adrenaline has stopped pumping and the anger has subsided a bit. In truth it was a fantastic first 45 minutes, in which both sides were excellent but we were marginally the better team, then a messy goal to concede the equaliser, and we were unable to get a rhythm going again but did well to rally and hold on. While nobody is thrilled to lose a two-goal lead at home, Leeds are far from easy opponents and they were close to us in the league because the two sides are well-matched. 

Thought Konsa was useless. Mings had a poor game defensively but was well used in an attacking sense, in what looked like a planned tactic. Digne I thought had a bad game. The main issue though was that we became too defensive after the break, we (consciously or not) decided to try to sit on what we had but Leeds were never going to give us that luxury, and we stopped posing a real threat deep once Coutinho and Buendia went off. If they are both out for Newcastle, we may have a tough selection dilemma on our hands. 

I thought the ref had a great first half, did really well letting the game flow and played a good advantage for one of our goals, but I thought in the second half he lost a lot of control. He made the right call re Konsa though, no complaints there. 

One last word for Dan James, I've been very critical of him and I do think he wastes a lot of chances, but he proved me wrong in that first half performance. 

Emotions can be high after games, mine included. We scored three great goals in 15 minutes and looked magnificent for that period. 

But there are so many things that seem wrong with us at the moment. Our defending is getting progressively worse. Mings and Konsa have both regressed since last season when we kept 15 clean sheets. There is an element of calamity about a lot of the goals we are conceding now too which is poor to see. 

In midfield, we are struggling to get any stranglehold in the game. We barely put two passes together in the second half tonight.

And Ollie was shocking tonight. How Gerrard didn’t bring Ings in for at least 20 minutes is unbelievable. 

Worst of all, we lacked real fight and urgency in the second half. We slept walked through that half. I just don’t see us fixing all our problems at the moment. We have had so much fanfare with new signings but I’m at a low ebb in the hope stakes at the moment. How many hundred million do we need to spend. It’s scary. 

• Like 2

From being 3-1 up, academy product smashing it into the top corner from a delicious weighted pass from our Brazilian superstar -  to an absolute mojoless shambles of losing the lead, the points, players to injury and players to red cards. Horrible stuff.

They looked more evolved as a unit. I wish I saw more aggression and spirit in trying to get a dominating hold of the game instead of protecting a lead 'defending'.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

And Ollie was shocking tonight. How Gerrard didn’t bring Ings in for at least 20 minutes is unbelievable. 

Given that we had two injuries and and then a red card, it's a good thing he didn't bring Ings in. Our chances of conceding a fourth would have increased if we had to play the end with only one centre back. Good to see Chambers make his debut, even if not under ideal circumstances and even if he didn't have too much to do.

Â