• Ramsey
    • Buendía
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Buendía 59)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/22 at 23:59

48 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

That second half was as bad as any performance I’ve seen from Villa in the last 10 years, considering the players we now have at our disposal. 

Part of me thinks that it was the tactical tweak at halftime that did the damage. Gerrard appeared to change the shape and dial back the attacking intent a notch to make us defensively stronger. It had the opposite effect as it gave leeds the initiative, which they thrive on. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, smg said:

Some of the reactions on here . I’m surprised we aren’t adrift at the bottom of the league given the number of our players who have been identified as total shit on here tonight. Come next season we will have splashed £50 million on the Messiah Bissouma, two poor games and he will be labelled as total shit and needs to be replaced in January etc etc.

I think we need to expect more as a fanbase. It’s just not good enough. One comment earlier said it was just a lack of desire that caused us to concede goals. As if a lack of desire is something perfectly acceptable to Villa fans. I thought we showed a lack of basic effort in the second half tonight.

We have invested the money and we need to start seeing the performances. I could live with the result but the performance just wasn’t good enough. I don’t think we have a single player in our squad who is shit. I actually like every single one of them. But some of them are performing well below their ability. And gerrard needs to get them singing fast. 

• Like 2

Played some beautiful stuff going forward, but I can only imagine that Gerrard gave the defence an unholy bollocking after that. Absolutely shocking at times. 

Last season we were in a position where we had a run of easier fixtures and ballsed it up. I just hope that we aren't going to do the same here. We have a great opportunity to really push into the top half and aim for a strong finish here.

• Like 1

Was working so missed the match. It’s usually very dramatic in here after a loss so I won’t read too much into that.

Brilliant to see JJ and Coutinho playing so well. Still very poor to squander a 3-1 lead at home. Think we still really, really miss Nakamba as well.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Think tonight showed us on one hand what SG can achieve, and on the other what he can't fix, after one January window. 

Nicely put.

But if we need better players than Konsa/Ming's/Martinez - we are going to need one hell of a budget.

There's teams in the division with lesser players who defend better as a unit 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think we need to expect more as a fanbase. It’s just not good enough. One comment earlier said it was just a lack of desire that caused us to concede goals. As if a lack of desire is something perfectly acceptable to Villa fans. I thought we showed a lack of basic effort in the second half tonight.

We have invested the money and we need to start seeing the performances. I could live with the result but the performance just wasn’t good enough. I don’t think we have a single player in our squad who is shit. I actually like every single one of them. But some of them are performing well below their ability. And gerrard needs to get them singing fast. 

High expectations are fine but the levels we are striving for take time to achieve and some people are not able to accept this. It’s not just about buying different players all the time. Those we have can be developed, give the coaches time to earn their money.

16 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

39% possession at home and drawing from a 3-1 lead  just isnt good enough. I have faith we will sort it but thats how I see it.

Well that's how it was. 100mph - but shambolic at times.

• Like 1

Can I just say if you were one of those stupid **** ers doing the ole's in the last few minutes of the first half then you are an absolute bona fide word removed. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, smg said:

High expectations are fine but the levels we are striving for take time to achieve and some people are not able to accept this. It’s not just about buying different players all the time. Those we have can be developed, give the coaches time to earn their money.

Yeah. Fair point. I’m probably over reacting in the moment but lots of frustrations out there tonight. I agree with you about buying players. I’d like to see what we can do with the players we have. 

• Like 2

Silly game, like it always is vs Leeds. At one point they had like 9 players in/around our box for a throw-in. Needed calmer heads in defense, but everyone in the back seemed to be so unsettled.

Needed Sanson in for McGinn or Dougie or even when Buendia went off. This game was pretty much made for his style and those two were just not at the races, a couple decent moments aside.

I could understand bringing on the experience of Young were we trying to see out the game and protect a lead, but not really who you want if you need to dig out a winner against the most aggressive team in the league.

Ollie needs to sit for a game or two. If he isn't pressing as hard and he isn't winning headers and he isn't holding the ball up well, might as well play the guy who can finish, at least.

Konsa's second yellow was dumb, but I thought the first was actually James fouling him tbqh. Haven't seen a replay, though.

• Like 1

When I woke up to watch the game this morning I had a thought that I should just go back to sleep so I don't start the day in a bad mood. Should have listened.

Scoring 3 goals and not winning is unacceptable. Having a 2 goal lead at home and not winning is unacceptable.

Mings and konsa had mares today, all 3 goals can be laid at their feet.

Watkins looked like he didn't want to be there.

Mcginn and Luiz were totally anonymous.

Poor effort all round in the second half

43 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No, sorry, disagree.

They were their usual mess. Just like they always are.

That was absolute garbage from us. I'm totally deflated by that match.

No excuses I was told. That was crap.

All the worries I had about buying older players on monstrous contracts will be increased ten-fold if we're backing the wrong horse here.

If we have a summer like January just expenditure-wise, we have to be challenging for top 8 minimum.

We'll be bottom 8 playing like that.

We've bought Digne and loaned Coutinho on " monstrous " contracts, don't they have 2 - 4 assists/goals between them in what 2 - 3 games so far?

Those weren't the issue.

As a matter of fact, we might need a CM/CDM and a couple of defenders who can  command " monstrous contracts " to push on, as it's our " Young and hungry " Championship players actually letting us down for the most part right now. Lo

The likes of JJ the most.obvious exception.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Our quality got us the draw. Tactics not so much. Way to open, played right into Bielsa's hands. Still not a fan of this super narrow formation. How do you only have 39% possession when every player never leaves the center 3rd. 

20 minutes ago, smg said:

Well he's just had 3 solid weeks with the players.....and we looked worse.

• Sad 1

Â