• Ramsey
    • Buendía
    • Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Buendía 59)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/22 at 23:59

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Leeds pretty much always do this to us. I fully expected us to lose after they got their equaliser.

I did.

....another capitulation....when a 5'7 winger out jumps a 6'5 centre back, to score, you can safely say, we have problems.

Wolves did too.

you cannot give opponents that much time and space and expect anything else.

they chased everything, inc lost causes, we didn't.

Leeds bullied those goals in and we flapped around like wet fish.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

The reality is that in the Summer we need at least one quality central defender and a defensive midfielder to progress. It seems that the owners are serious about going for Europe and there are too many mid to lower Prem players at the club. That will probably mean some out goings. I wonder if Arsenal offered £40 million for Watkins if we would decline. Not sure if Ings has a future at the club either, so I wouldn't be surprised to see both gone in the summer and a bigger name coming in. If Utd offered £50 million for McGinn I think that would be difficult to turn down, and Luiz's future must be in question. I know this post sounds very damning but I sense that the owners are no longer going to tolerate mediocre, and with Newcastle looking like they are going to stay up they cannot wait to see if things improve with some of these players. I have a feeling it will be a very big summer both with incomings and outgoings.

And yet more change. We go through so many players we hardly ever have a settled side for a couple of seasons. Either players leave or we change the manager, or both.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ramsey and Coutinho Men of the Match. It was a shame Buendia went off as he was influential in attack and defence.

Defence is rubbish, from a 3-1 position we were sloppy at the back.

Their first goal was also poor and Konsa let the ball go through his legs, very weak defending.

Some really rate Konsa, some criticise him. I'm in the middle with him to be honest.

Leeds repeatedly fouling at every opportunity to try and put Villa out of their stride, referee seemed to let that go for way too long. Thought Ailing could have gone off aswell for persistent fouling.

There are times you have to stand up to it......and give it back.

we can't keep relying on referee's to protect us.

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Perspective? 1 or 2 players aside, we looked like a pub team tonight.  Nowhere near good enough and not for the first second or 3rd time.

The soft under belly, just hasn't gone away, has it?

• Like 1

Crazy night at VP. Very frustrating to let a 3-1 lead slip but you can’t say we deserved to win as we were pretty atrocious in the second half. 

Coutinho MOTM, he’s a joy to watch. Had Ayling on toast too. Two fantastic finishes by JJ!

Mings and Konsa had a weird night, seemed to be bickering with each other constantly? Watkins worryingly off it tonight, as was Luiz. Don’t think you can expect to win games eben 4 of your players are having poor games.

Hope the two injuries aren’t serious as we looked toothless without them.

Voted very poor for the ref, definitely lost control late on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

....another capitulation....when a 5'7 winger out jumps a 6'5 centre back, to score, you can safely say, we have problems.

That's a bit harsh I think, the deflection dropped the ball onto James's head; Mings had to cover five or six yards to get there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Emotions can be high after games, mine included. We scored three great goals in 15 minutes and looked magnificent for that period. 

But there are so many things that seem wrong with us at the moment. Our defending is getting progressively worse. Mings and Konsa have both regressed since last season when we kept 15 clean sheets. There is an element of calamity about a lot of the goals we are conceding now too which is poor to see. 

In midfield, we are struggling to get any stranglehold in the game. We barely put two passes together in the second half tonight.

And Ollie was shocking tonight. How Gerrard didn’t bring Ings in for at least 20 minutes is unbelievable. 

Worst of all, we lacked real fight and urgency in the second half. We slept walked through that half. I just don’t see us fixing all our problems at the moment. We have had so much fanfare with new signings but I’m at a low ebb in the hope stakes at the moment. How many hundred million do we need to spend. It’s scary. 

we don't need to spend hundreds of millions....we need to buy the right players.

we are overloaded with footballers......Leeds tonight had players who could mix it physically and come out with the ball.....We need a few players who can help us with that, Nakamba out and we have no one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smg said:

Some of the reactions on here . I’m surprised we aren’t adrift at the bottom of the league given the number of our players who have been identified as total shit on here tonight. Come next season we will have splashed £50 million on the Messiah Bissouma, two poor games and he will be labelled as total shit and needs to be replaced in January etc etc.

They wasn't that good.

2 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Played some beautiful stuff going forward, but I can only imagine that Gerrard gave the defence an unholy bollocking after that. Absolutely shocking at times. 

Last season we were in a position where we had a run of easier fixtures and ballsed it up. I just hope that we aren't going to do the same here. We have a great opportunity to really push into the top half and aim for a strong finish here.

Those easier fixtures, we all clamour for are teams who are willing to fight, fight for second balls, close down and win duels.....they engage in scrappy football and bully the ball over the line.

best of luck with the predictions.

For me people are always blaming Mings, but a lot of his errors are down to Konsa acting like a statue,  

Case In point 2nd half Raphina chested the ball down in the 6 yard box to the right of the goal, which is Konsa's side but Mings has come over to block it while konsa is closer and is just standing there,  plus the 2 yellows was just stupid. 

1st goal Mings makes a small error but Konsa is there and when James gets the ball he should be tight on him as he's in the box but just stands off him and allows him to control the ball and then shoots through his legs, for me both to blame. 

2nd goal is all Mings as he should never be beaten by a midget in the air, but if you look back before the cross is deflected up, Konsa and Cash both out of position and just ball watching. 

3rd was just unlucky, as that 2-3 minute spell Mings cleared 1 off the line, then headed 1 over to clear for a corner, for me Martinez to blame its cross on the 6 yard line and he should be coming to collect it, but he just stays on his line,  we were under pressure and that's when you need your keep coming out and collecting it, or drawing a foul. 

The whole back for were shocking, Konsa I just don't see it in him, when Mings was out and Hause was in they were awful but I feel that's because Mings wasn't the commanding the defence which Konsa never does and wasn't there trying to clear everything up. 

Maybe I'm wrong but both next to step up or need to be gone in summer for me. 

Plus we need this elusive DCM

Edited by Joshie2000
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How people can look at the performances of McGinn and Luiz tonight and pick out Luiz as the weakness is beyond me.

I thought Luiz played pretty well, I'd give him a seven, he was one of our better players on the night.

I'd give McGinn a three, it's the worst game I've ever seen him have.

Neither of them fill me with glee playing those roles.....We have seen it for so long now and it simply doesn't work...both are not natural defensive minded players.

However, I agree....McGinn was a shadow of himself, but as you know I am no fan of Luiz in the No 6 role either......good block at the end though.

as a team we struggle with opponents like Leeds who like to run and disrupt.....we simply don't have the appetite to do the same.

I had a suspicion before the game, it would end like the last 2  conceding 3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

For me people are always blaming Mings, but a lot of his errors are down to Konsa acting like a statue,  

Case In point 2nd half Raphina chested the ball down in the 6 yard box to the right of the goal, which is Konsa's side but Mings has come over to block it while konsa is closer and is just standing there,  plus the 2 yellows was just stupid. 

1st goal Mings makes a small error but Konsa is there and when James gets the ball he should be tight on him as he's in the box but just stands off him and allows him to control the ball and then shoots through his legs, for me both to blame. 

2nd goal is all Mings as he should never be beaten by a midget in the air, but if you look back before the cross is deflected up, Konsa and Cash both out of position and just ball watching. 

3rd was just unlucky, as that 2-3 minute spell Mings cleared 1 off the line, then headed 1 over to clear for a corner, for me Martinez to blame its cross on the 6 yard line and he should be coming to collect it, but he just stays on his line,  we were under pressure and that's when you need your keep coming out and collecting it, or drawing a foul. 

The whole back for were shocking, Konsa I just don't see it in him, when Mings was out and Hause was in they were awful but I feel that's because Mings wasn't the commanding the defence which Konsa never does and wasn't there trying to clear everything up. 

Maybe I'm wrong but both next to step up or need to be gone in summer for me. 

Plus we need this elusive DCM

Shall we hire a plane and a trailing flag, for the next home game😃

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a bit harsh I think, the deflection dropped the ball onto James's head; Mings had to cover five or six yards to get there.

didn't look like that to me.

play it back, he was alongside James.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

didn't look like that to me.

I've just been watching the replay - the deflection goes over Mings head and he has to back up a few yards to challenge for it - he's then got James (and the ball) behind him and because he's backing in, he isn't in a great position to jump, the ball drops straight in front of James and he barely has to move, just jump and head it.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've just been watching the replay - the deflection goes over Mings head and he has to back up a few yards to challenge for it - he's then got James (and the ball) behind him and because he's backing in, he isn't in a great position to jump, the ball drops straight in front of James and he barely has to move, just jump and head it.

I just watched it back...there was no yards at all...he was alongside him.

Â