Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

8 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Whilst he technically was a Gerrard signing, he was always brought in to be a backup, nothing more. It didn’t matter how well he played and how badly our starters did, he was never going to be picked first.

You could see similar things happening with a lot of different players. I know each manager tend to have their favorites but Gerrard was a bit ridiculous with it. Its like he never considered the actual performances the players put in, once he thought a player was worse than another, he never changed his mind.

I agree with this part of your post...

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Technically our best defender and technically possibly better than McGinn Ramsay and Dendoncker.

Has sold himself a bit easily at times as a defender but who hasn't in this team.

So decent defender on par at least,  best on the ball and a high pedigree from Arsenal.

Stands to reason he's been frozen out by cockwomble.

He was too good. Was talk of him replacing Konsa last season as he didnt let us down and bang captain clown made him 5th choice centre back

Gerrard really was a poison

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Really hope he starts tomorrow over Konsa who has been abject for far too long.

Konsa has played well the last month or so. Don’t get me wrong, he was garbage for the best part of 12 months before that though. 

On Chambers, I don’t think I’ve ever known a player perform as well as he has when called upon, only to then be dropped. Not only has he been dropped, he’s somehow managed to find himself further down the pecking order.

I’ve not seen a great deal of Bednarek, but having him ahead of Chambers is laughable. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

It must be so nice for these players to have a sense of excitement and belief now.

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Konsa has played well the last month or so. Don’t get me wrong, he was garbage for the best part of 12 months before that though. 

On Chambers, I don’t think I’ve ever known a player perform as well as he has when called upon, only to then be dropped. Not only has he been dropped, he’s somehow managed to find himself further down the pecking order.

Played in the 4-0 against Southampton, I believe the game he did that outside of the boot pass, then we went to Leeds next game we won 3-0 and he scored a screamer.

Next game up we lost to West Ham , so that's 3 on the bounce games he started.

He was then dropped for Arsenal at home where we lost and the next 4 games we picked in 1 pt in 12 looking adject. Chambers doesn't start and we witness Konsa scared of his own shadow when on the ball.

Next game up Norwich. Chambers starts, we win.

Burnley next. Chambers starts in midfield. We won.

We round out the season with 2 pts from 12. Chambers featuring twice agaisnt Burnley at home and City.

I'm not saying Chambers is brilliant, he's not. He's a rash defender at times and commits too much - but you have a player shown he's more capable than anyone on the ball and when he plays you immediately look better and more comfortable playing the ball and creating chance.

I will never understand why repeatedly players who played badly every single week played every single week whilst other never got a sniff.

It's mind blowing incompetence. 

Edited by rodders0223

51 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve not seen a great deal of Bednarek, but having him ahead of Chambers is laughable. 

Gerrard never rated his as more than a backup. Doesn’t matter how well he plays, he would never have broken that glass ceiling under gerrard. Wherever Gerrard goes for his next job, he’s never going to succeed if he never allows a player to change his mind and play their way into the team.

the fact that danks is apparently dropping Mcginn and Ramsey, stalwarts under Gerrard suggests that it was mostly him refusing to give the other players a shot and stubbornly insisting on his players

39 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I think he’ll start him at centre back first few games as it’ll be a player he knows and can trust.

Possibly but I think people underestimate how good Callum is at RB. Matty Cash switches off to often and offers very little in attack a better athlete yes but Chambers is better technically.

• Like 2

All I can remember of Chambers at RB at Arsenal is him getting destroyed one game at Swansea. When he went on loan to Fulham he played holding midfielder and got their POTY.

Regardless of position he's been horribly underused by us in last six months.

Wouldn't surprise me if Emery goes with him and Mings for next three games as statistically that combination has been our best in terms of goals conceded in 2022.

7 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him come in at right back under Emery.

6 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I think he’ll start him at centre back first few games as it’ll be a player he knows and can trust.

Complete guess here, but....

I can see him at RB.

I honestly dont think Emery would play him at CB (first choice), Emery afaik likes a high line a fair bit, and likes his CBs to have pace to cover the lines with a higher line also, Chambers isnt rapid.

He’ll be a starter under Emery. Konsa is a trainwreck with the ball and under pressure, Emery wants to play from the back.

Never got why he doesn’t play more, has been solid nearly every time he’s had a chance.

50 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Complete guess here, but....

I can see him at RB.

I honestly dont think Emery would play him at CB (first choice), Emery afaik likes a high line a fair bit, and likes his CBs to have pace to cover the lines with a higher line also, Chambers isnt rapid.

I can see him at RB like I mentioned earlier but he had 37 year old Raul Albiol next to Torres at Villarreal.

• 2 weeks later...
Â