Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

1 hour ago, useless said:

Go back ten pages and people claiming he's better than Mings and should be starting ahead of him next to Carlos, go back eight pages people astonished that Konsa was starting ahead of him and some claims that he's the best defender at the club.

He was underrated when first arrived, but then quickly became overrated, overrated not meaning that he's a bad player, just not as good a central defender as Mings or Konsa, even if Konsa was in bad form.

He was better than Konsa last year. He probably performed above his regular level, Konsa was clearly below his regular level.

• Thanks 1

He hasn't played enough games during his whole career really. He was a top prospect when at Southampton and his early days at Arsenal but he stayed there far too long. In hindsight coming to us probably wasn't a great career move as he really needs to be first choice at a club now. He has played about 160 premier league games and he is 28.

• Like 1

Not to read too much into friendlies or anything but as far as I remember he was the best performing CB in pre-season and it felt a bit unlucky for him to miss out of the side initially. On the other hand he's looked quite ropey anytime he's featured under Emery - albeit again mostly in friendlies - where ironically despite his reputation he's looked the most uncomfortable with the expectations placed upon the defenders in terms of taking more touches, playing out from the back etc.

Considering he was signed for next to nothing I think he's done exactly the job he was signed for quite well though. Nothing special but can cover a few positions at least competently at this level.

17 hours ago, Indigo said:

Win-win situation... Cost nothing and we will get a fee for him + frees up additional wages 

Also frees up a spot on the bench for potential integration for one of our up and coming U21's 

9 hours ago, useless said:

Go back ten pages and people claiming he's better than Mings and should be starting ahead of him next to Carlos, go back eight pages people astonished that Konsa was starting ahead of him and some claims that he's the best defender at the club.

He was underrated when first arrived, but then quickly became overrated, overrated not meaning that he's a bad player, just not as good a central defender as Mings or Konsa, even if Konsa was in bad form.

He's a decent enough squad player, that can cover various positions, so a useful option to have, but can also understand why we'd be prepared to let him leave as someone like Dendoncker can do a similar job so might as well free up a space.

Konsa was terrible for the last few months of last season. That Spurs game when we got done 4-0 and he couldn't even jump for two of the goals was him at his very worst and he got sent off a few times and also got injured near the end so think people were just making the case first choice combo should've been Mings-Chambers.

Games Chambers started for us last season:

Newcastle 1-0 Villa

Villa 0-1 Watford

Brighton 0-2 Villa

Villa 4-0 Southampton

Leeds 0-3 Villa (scored that beauty)

West Ham 2-1 Villa

Villa 2-0 Norwich

Burnley 1-3 Villa (played DM in that game and did very well against inform team at the time)

Villa 1-1 Burnley

Man. City 3 Villa 2.

So 10 starts and we only conceded 9 in that period.

This season he started one match v West Ham and then Emery had a look in the cup v Man. United and he was way off it. Sloppy passing and exposed in the high line so can see why Kons has been preferred and he's been pretty good in recent times. When someone comes in and team suddenly keeps clean sheets regularly don't think it's too much of a thing to say he should be starting most times.

He lacks pace to play in the Emery system. High line means people will target him and play balls in behind him. Konsa and Mings have the pace to play the high line and Martinez looks like he is good at the sweeper role. 

Chambers just doesn't fit this style of play. He needs a team with a lower block 

deadline day transfer to everton, hammers or leicester imo, i think he can still do a job at PL level no problem, however he will find it hard to be a regular starter under Emery, especially when Carlos returns. He has the ball playing skills but probably lacks the pace which means he won't be able to be relied on by Emery in this system. Saying that i don't think we need to rush to get rid of him if he is still here beyond Jan, Nakamba will be the next one we need to shift as he has been here for a few years and not going to get a look in

On 25/01/2023 at 17:59, nick76 said:

I honestly expect to see a tweet, the same, about Dendoncker this week or in the summer.  It looks like players like Chambers and Dendoncker are the kind of players we are willing to listen to offers for.

Dendoncker can only play for Wolves if he moved now

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dendoncker can only play for Wolves if he moved now

Yeah I realised after I wrote it so before I posted I added “or in the summer”.  I couldn’t remember if he’d played for Wolves before he had joined us this season because I know the rule is that you can sign for 3 clubs but only play competitive for 2 during a season but he had played for them so it’s us or them.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Very poor thought I’d divert the attention from Bailey (as poor ass he was) whilst this man gets a free pass.

I thought he was “fine”, didn’t do well for the second goal (although surely Emi is calling there?) but largely didn’t do much wrong IMO. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I thought he was “fine”, didn’t do well for the second goal (although surely Emi is calling there?) but largely didn’t do much wrong IMO. 

He looked unaware positionally and got caught ball watching a few times  

• Like 2

I don't know how late the Mings call was but I thought we played too high a line for him to cope with.  City could just stick Haaland on him and play long straight balls and he didn't have a prayer.  Konsa couldn't replace Mings's organisational skills either which didn't help.

I missed the first 25 minutes, but I thought that he played OK for a reserve.

Originally, I thought that he was part at fault for the 2nd goal and maybe should have left the ball for Emi, but having watched the replay, I think that he did the right thing. If he had left the ball, it might have bounced right over him to Haaland instead. Coming off the ground like that, the ball was unpredictable. I think that he did well to shepherd it away from danger momentarily. Blame Young for losing Gundogan at the post.

• Like 1

Â