Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

I like Chambers a lot, considering he was on a free he’s a great CB and for me starts with Mings.

Don’t get me wrong I like Konsa as a player, I just wish he had a bit more bite about him as he just seems a bit passive sometimes and doesn’t get stuck in.

If we do go in for another CB though it’d be nice to get one that can be a threat at set pieces. 

2 hours ago, calcifer said:

It's obvious that Gerrard favours Konsa. Even though Chambers is the better defender. Look at the 1st game of the season he picked Konsa and he was awful! 

I genuinely think he put Konsa in as he assumed he could communicate better with Carlos. Not like Konsa even had a full pre season so it was a bizarre pick.

Chambers-Mings is the way to go.

Edited by VillaChris

The frustrating thing with Chambers is that he’s been a very solid performer for us whenever he’s had a chance, but doesn’t seem to get any credit for it. Gerrard must think Konsa has a higher ceiling, but he’s been out of form for ages now.

I preferred Smith’s approach of letting players win and keep the shirt if they were in decent form. Gerrard seems to want to give players a chance to find form, but that gives some players too much leeway to have dire runs of games where they stink the place out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I genuinely think he put Konsa in as he assumed he could communicate better with Carlos. Not like Konsa even had a full pre season so it was a bizarre pick.

Chambers-Mings is the way to go.

Konsa was coming on alone Saturday until Carlos went down then Chambers came on

Its clear for me Konsa is ahead of Chambers in Gerrard head

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I don’t disagree with you but as Carlos was staying on then (pre injury) the same argument of having a Portuguese speaking centre half alongside DC is an interesting point from @VillaChris. I hadn’t thought of it but I did note the physios had to get a couple of the Spanish speakers over to help translate when treating DC. 

I do agree with you though and think Konsa is ahead of Chambers in Gerrard’s head, but guess we will find out.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Almost certainly the case given our starting squad vs Bournemouth.

Sad, because for me Mings, Chambers and even Hause are above Konsa.

Hause is just as shaky on the ball as Konsa - but at least he wins headers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t disagree with you but as Carlos was staying on then (pre injury) the same argument of having a Portuguese speaking centre half alongside DC is an interesting point from @VillaChris. I hadn’t thought of it but I did note the physios had to get a couple of the Spanish speakers over to help translate when treating DC. 

I do agree with you though and think Konsa is ahead of Chambers in Gerrard’s head, but guess we will find out.

Carlos has played in France and Spain though so Digne, Emi and Kamara would be able to communicate with him as well

On 16/08/2022 at 01:20, Zatman said:

Which is strange as Chambers is technically a Gerrard signing, and hasn't done too much wrong when he's played.

On 15/08/2022 at 18:41, VillaParkAvenue said:

Chambers is in many ways our best CB. Smart and reads the game well, good technique, good passer. Question marks only about pace and general athleticism. Must be a starter now with Carlos out.

Agree. Not really sure why he hasn't been given a proper chance, SG signed him after all. Can't imagine he was imposed on him.

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Konsa is one of the most competitive trainers in our squad which is why he is slightly ahead of Chambers.

For me, Chambers should be starting.

McGrath didn't train for 7 years and is our best player since the war.

Not sure what your point is tbh. It's all on the pitch.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Really pisses me off that people have forgotten Eric Djemba-Djemba so quickly. 

So good, they named him twice. 

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am not sure what your point is..

I am discussing why Konsa may be ahead of Calum Chambers..

We are not speaking about someone that hasn't played for this club in over 25 years.. that played under a different manager.. during the 90's.. lol

19 minutes ago, sne said:

So is he still considered to be a great signing? Gerrard doesn't seem to want to play him and we are supposedly looking to sign yet another CB.

He's been excellent in the matches he's started since joining us.

Very bemusing given Konsa's general level in 2022 why he consistantly gets picked ahead.

I imagine Chambers will stick around and probably look to move on next summer.

Â