Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

Can't say I've been impressed by this guy. Average at best but not terrible. Guess he's earning a relatively nice salary for a squad filler. Makes sense to get rid if possible and bring in someone the manager wants.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Won’t say I’ll lose too much sleep if he goes. But despite falling out of favour and his form not being too hot, my abiding memories of him will always be these two moments, which were pretty much the only highlights of the second half of last season.

That pass with the outside of his foot would have been pass of the year if Cancelo made it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

'Bit average' is generous. He's poor and has been for ages. Not PL standard.

I thought he did well last season tbh. Most of the games he started we kept clean sheets. Hit that great assist in the 4-0 Southampton game and scored away to Leeds.

This season with limited game time he's been less good. We got decent value out of him for a year and sure we can find a taker for 5m or so from someone struggling to stay up.

I think he'd do well at Leeds. Leicester really should be looking at him aswell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Won’t say I’ll lose too much sleep if he goes. But despite falling out of favour and his form not being too hot, my abiding memories of him will always be these two moments, which were pretty much the only highlights of the second half of last season.

Shout out for that home shirt as well, easily the best we've had since Luke's offering in the promotion season

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah not surprised, seems to be the forgotten man and the few recent minutes he’s looked a bit average.  Started well but just a complete bench warmer now who probably wants more time and Emery likely has eyes for future targets so makes sense if the right offer comes in seeing as we are refreshing the squad.

lack of pace means he can't be part of Emery squad. Emery wants us to play a higher line and Martinez being sweeper. Mings and Konsa (and from what we saw pre injury) Carlos are all quick. Mings in particular is proper rapid. 

Edited by CVByrne

1 hour ago, sne said:

Can't say I've been impressed by this guy. Average at best but not terrible. Guess he's earning a relatively nice salary for a squad filler. Makes sense to get rid if possible and bring in someone the manager wants.

Making room for a cheeky Pau Torres bid? 😉

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Shout out for that home shirt as well, easily the best we've had since Luke's offering in the promotion season

That home shirt was a weird shouldered abomination. It's literally the worst shirt since we had a sponsor that looked like the word 'COWS'. Even then that wasn't the shirt's fault. 

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

That home shirt was a weird shouldered abomination. It's literally the worst shirt since we had a sponsor that looked like the word 'COWS'. Even then that wasn't the shirt's fault. 

Christ mate, must be painful being this wrong 😉

Even the COWS shirt was better than this season's offering, which reminds me of the weird Under Armour purple abomination from our time in the Championship.

Anyway, massively off topic. Calum Chambers, eh? Remember when Arsene Wenger spent like £20m on him as a teenager with hardly any first team experience, as if he would solve Arsenal's defensive issues? Whatever happened to that Chambers lad anyway?

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I thought he did well last season tbh. Most of the games he started we kept clean sheets. Hit that great assist in the 4-0 Southampton game and scored away to Leeds.

This season with limited game time he's been less good.

Agreed...but it wasn't just what he did with the ball that was good last year. He also looked good in back, particularly against Man City. Of course, he didn't need any pace against Man City because we were in our end most of the match.

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

lack of pace means he can't be part of Emery squad. Emery wants us to play a higher line and Martinez being sweeper. Mings and Konsa (and from what we saw pre injury) Carlos are all quick. Mings in particular is proper rapid. 

Pace is definitely the issue, not skill. That said, I still value him as a squad player. Until Diego comes back, he's the #1 backup, and you need at least 2 backups.

• Like 2

Think Diego will be back around mid Feb. Obviously won't be ready to start but can provide cover and come on near the end of games.

Could also see Hause maybe offering some basic cover if he gets fit again as I assume he won't be loaned out again after the botched Watford move.

Edited by VillaChris

Go back ten pages and people claiming he's better than Mings and should be starting ahead of him next to Carlos, go back eight pages people astonished that Konsa was starting ahead of him and some claims that he's the best defender at the club.

He was underrated when first arrived, but then quickly became overrated, overrated not meaning that he's a bad player, just not as good a central defender as Mings or Konsa, even if Konsa was in bad form.

He's a decent enough squad player, that can cover various positions, so a useful option to have, but can also understand why we'd be prepared to let him leave as someone like Dendoncker can do a similar job so might as well free up a space.

• Like 2

Â